“"handled large group"”

Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

When 60 people arrive at the same time for dinner, the restaurant better know what they're doing. We had a buffet dinner which was excellent. We all sat upstairs in our private dining room and the two bar tenders did a good job making sure the drink orders kept coming out. Food was very tasty with a large selection to choose from. Kudos to the Marienbad.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of stopping by this restaurant downtown, I haven't visited it in many years but I was thoroughly impressed by the service and food. Each course was presented very professionally and brought me at ease to know that 5 star service still exists.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Love the food, very good variety and good prices. Quieter atmosphere then most restaurants which is nice. Can enjoy yourself.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

A recent outing to the Marienbad in London, ON. was once again a pleasant dining experience. The restaurant has the standard fare such as steak, chicken and fish however in the case of the latter two they are prepared differently from other establishments which makes for a great meal. Of course for me the overall attraction is the platter consisting of an abundant amount of many
german delicacies including amongst other items sausage, schnizel, and dumplings. This was proceeded by a french onion soup that was savoury and full flavoured. The staff were very helpful, knowledgeable, and prompt when it came matters about menu items and service. With it's location one street removed from the downtown it makes for an ideal quiet location, with minimal vehicular activity yet meandering foot traffic.
The restaurant itself is well appointed with comfortable spaces between tables, a pleasant ambience, and a relaxing view to the outdoor patio and Carling Street through large clean windows. This gives the restaurant all of the attributes to enhance an evening of dining.

1  Thank deerea855
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having eaten at Chaucer's Pub between two and five times per year over the course of roughly ten years I can honestly say I've never been disappointed withe the food. It is delicious and the quality can be counted on. The last two times I've been there, however, the service was dreadful and I hope that both times we were there on an off night but having brought guests along it was embarrassing to recommend a restaurant so highly only to have the service be so very poor.

It wasn't one person but a general failing every step of the way. When we arrived last night the reservation list was visible but my name wasn't on it despite my having reserved two weeks prior. At the time of making my reservation, I sought advice about the best time for dinner as there was a major concert that evening (which we were attending) and I wanted to be sure we left sufficient time in case they were busy. We were advised that 6PM would be perfect and our dinner would be nicely underway when the majority of the dinner crowd arrived closer to 6:30PM.

Fortunately, while the patio was busy on our arrival at 6PM, the inside restaurant wasn't. We were given a table for four which was set for two. The initial round of drinks came quickly enough but the server didn't return for our dinner order for half an hour. As the tables beside and in front of us filled and were served their entrees (by the same server) we became increasingly annoyed at being ignored. Our server seemed to be serving both inside and outside although there was another server who appeared to be dealing exclusively with the patio. We requested two additional place settings and a basket of bread as by now we were quite hungry - items brought to our neighbours much earlier without having to be requested.

After being in the 2/3 filled restaurant for one and 1/4 hours with still no entree, I tracked down the waitress and complained. She said she had just then complained to her boss about our order as well. Very quickly thereafter, our dinner was finally served. The food was delicious, as always, but frankly it was difficult to enjoy it as one should as we were so annoyed. There was no time for dessert as we needed to get ourselves over to Budweiser Gardens for the Michael Buble concert.

It would have been nice if whatever problems occurred had been acknowledged as they happened instead of my having to grow annoyed and track people down to complain, nicer still had the boss apologized or comped our drinks however there was no apology and no thank you for coming.

As previously stated, this is the second time in as many visits that service has been poor all around. I feel that it is time to explore other options for dining prior to downtown events.