“Tasty Lunch”

Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This restaurant is right across the street for the hospital where I'm working for the next month, so I decided to try them out for lunch today. The atmosphere is nice and the staff are very friendly, including the sushi chef who greeted me as I walked in the door. They have a lot of lunch specials that range in price from $11-18, and for just $15 I had a special that included miso soup, green salad, six pieces of sashimi, two pieces of sushi, four California rolls, six pieces of tempura, teriyaki beef, and chicken/vegetable stir fry. It was a ton of food for a very reasonable price, and everything was fresh and well-prepared. I will definitely go back.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I have eaten at this Icheban more than once. The food is generally okay, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of flavor.

Whenever I have eaten here, I am full but not sure I would say I was satisfied.

Tonight, my wife and I went there to celebrate my birthday. Same thing tonight as other times, but this time the waitress made the experience worse.

We arrived just before 5pm. Not busy at all. We were the only couple sitting down. One person was waiting for take out.

We ordered. Chicken Teriyaki and Beef Teriyaki dinners and I got an order of sushi as well. Sushi was fresh and tasty. Beef and chicken not so much.

Server was slow despite the fact that we were the only people in the place. We asked for some salt to help liven up the food and at the same time, asked for a refil on my green tea. Any other Japanese restaurant would be either constantly getting you refills or would have a pot on your table. Not here.

She brought the salt right away, but not the tea? So I waited to see how long it would take. After about 5 more minutes I actually had to reminder her. To her credit, she apologized, but holy cow, we are the only people in the place! How could you forget?

Anyway, when all was done, she was more interested in talking with the sushi chef's than she was at taking care of her only customers. She finally got the hint we were ready for our check when we got out of our booth. Needless to say, she did not get a full tip.

In another note, according to my wife, the womans restroom was unclean and also doubled as a storage room for chairs. Not cool.

If you want to go here, I hope your experience is better than ours. It's okay, but not great. I know I will be looking for a new Japanese restaurant in London to enjoy. I won't be back.