“Worse - Never come back”
Review of Ovation

Ovation
Ovation
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Toronto is a beautiful city, we loved it, and we will be back again to Toronto. BUT, the Pelican apartment is the worse part of the trip. yes, the reviews in the site are true- the bad reviews. It was my biggest mistake ever that I did not read these reviews before my booking. Good points: spacious, new washer & dryer, and well maintained kitchen. Bad points: Dirty apartment, Dusty, outdated and broken furniture, dirty bed sheets, dirty bathrooms, weird TV, cannot easily handle the remote, weird parking, and need to understand carefully where exactly our parking lot. The only nice thing, it was near Square one mall, which is a lovely mall. Other than that, I regret dealing with Pelican suites, they promised us luxurious suite, and we got exactly the opposite. It was the biggest regret that I trusted their promise with a newly clean furnished unit. Advice to people: Do your homework and read the reviews before booking any hotel or apartment. I learned my lesson.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank BestMomLolo

Reviewed 23 November 2009

I am glad I did not read the other reviews before booking my stay at the Ovation towers through pelican. My flight was delayed and we landed at 10:30 pm instead of 5 pm. We were not sure if we could check into our apartment the same night given the office hours 9am - 9pm. We still gave a call to Pelican Suites office number. Surprisingly the after hours staff not only answered the call but made sure we checked into our reserved 3 bedroom suite comfortably. Having noticed we had a child less than a year old he got us a baby crib too at 1am early morning upon our request. Our stay was comfortable and with the few exceptions on how to connect to high speed internet I had nothing to complain. Sheets and towels were changed without extra charge. I have 4 kids I could have not done any better.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank mummydeareast
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Regrettably my own experience was very similar to the previous reviewer namely ‘Bee Gees’ and if anything a lot worse!

Our own experience of the information provided by Pelican was generally poor and amateurish e.g. the information sheet incorrectly listed the direct dial telephone number for the apartment - the impact was that having given out the number to friends and family – it was at least 3 days before we realised it was incorrect!

Our own experience of the parking was similarly extremely confusing as there is a "residents" lot and a "visitors" lot that is totally separate and this was not clear. The situation was further made worse as one of the two key fobs handed to us on check in was not programmed correctly – consequently making getting through the security doors and into the correct parking location and back to the apartment virtually impossible.

Prior to our arrival we requested an inflatable mattress - we were assured that it would be provided on arrival. To our disappointment this failed to be the case resulting in us having to waste valuable time chasing up. When it did finally arrive the mattress came with sparse and dirty bedding.

We arrived tired and late in the evening following a long flight – having been previously been given a ‘BIG’ build up regarding the property by the staff - namely that it was their ‘aspiration’ to live in such a condominium. The following morning we awoke to see the true state of the apartment – it was disgustingly filthy. We immediately called the management office (separate from the condo management office) and requested an urgent meeting – which they agreed to attend and we were able to show them and outline our specific issues of complaint. Which included:

• Carpets, which were beige, had large black, unidentifiable stains in the bedrooms.
• The floors were filthy to the point that you couldn’t walk on them without wearing shoes.
• All the kitchen supplies and equipment were absolutely disgusting and filthy i.e. the cutlery had not been previously washed properly and still had remnants of the previous occupants dinner.
• The TV’s seem complicated and at least one didn’t work – the remote controls were filthy.

With regards to the facilities advertised, one of the worst aspects of our stay was that we specifically selected this accommodation because of the very impressive facilities that were advertised on the companies website. Our actual experience was as follows:

• The virtual golf - was still under construction.
• The swimming pool - was out of action, a member of staff in the on site sports office advised that the water was a potential health hazard and was about to turn ‘cloudy’, and that they were awaiting a part to rectify the problem.
• Gym: This was being extended and some of the equipment was out of order.
• Billiard Room: On one of our evenings - out of 3 possible billiard tables only 1 was in operation.

The outcome of our meeting was that the management agreed to thoroughly re-clean the apartment – and change and provide new bedding - but this didn’t happen until the second day.

We also experienced problems retrieving any messages on the phone – and a thunderstorm during our stay eventually knocked out the phone completely.

I really can’t think of many positives for this accommodation, and only wish that I had read the previous review before committing.

The issues with the accommodation totally dominated and spoilt our short week’s stay, and the experience has regrettably put us all off returning to Canada and more specifically staying in similar vacation homes.

It’s very unlikely but in the event of a next time - we will be booking into a hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Rosetano
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I absolutely loved my stay at the Ovation - starting with the spacious and very luxorious 1 bedroom suite that made me feel at home the second I walked through the door. Most who travel for business understand what I mean by this - and I travel a lot. It's important to feel relaxed when you're away from your family, and this building did the trick. The staff was friendly and curtious, and pointed me to great restaurants in the area. Square One, the largest mall in Ontario, was just a few minutes from the building, so I had everything at my fingertips. I rented a car and took a trip down to Toronto on the weekend as well, but mostly I worked, and then relaxed in my suite at night. I really have no complaints, except for the weather - but then I am from California, so Canada in April is a little cold for me. Spacious, clean, impressive. Three words to describe my suite. I highly recommend this building to anyone - and I will definitely be back the next time I'm in Canada.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business