“Shuttle Driver = Worst”

Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Mississauga
dobbinton
“Shuttle Driver = Worst”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Me, my now husband, and 10 of our family and friends stayed at this hotel the night before flying out for our wedding. The hotel itself was fine for a one night's stay, but the shuttle driver we received was horrendous. After THROWING our suitcases precariously into the back of the shuttle, the driver (who drove like a mad man) made his way to Terminal One. When we boarded the shuttle, we had told him we needed to go to Terminal Three, and told him this once again when we arrived at Terminal One. Well he totally flew off the handles and started not only yelling at us, but cursing at us as well. After finally making it to the proper terminal, he proceeded to not hand us our luggage out of the back of the shuttle, but THREW all of it onto the road and drove away. Worst. Experience. Ever. Not a pleasent way to start off a vacation to get married.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
FPSTA, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us in January.

In order for me to investigate this further and to identify which driver did not meet the high expectations we hold at Four Points by Sheraton, I request you to contact me personally by e-mail (jason.goulding@fourpointstorontoairport.com) or telephone (905-678-1402).

Although your stay with us was great, I am very disappointed how this one interaction with the driver completely ruined your experience with us. Please accept my sincerest apology and understand that this behavior is not tolerated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, but in order for us to improve our guests’ experiences, you need to inform me of the date and time you took our shuttle.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Its clean, offers free parking. Friendly staff. Offers free shuttles to the airport but terminal 3 is a five minute walk. Id stay here anyday again!

• Stayed January 2012
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Hotel is grossly over priced. I paid $185 for a night. Chose it as it was close to the airport and had the "Sheraton" association.

Very disappointed all round. Price for the room, slow service in bar for food, expensive food and drink. Generally grubby, beat up and out of date. Heating was noisy and air con came on at the same time. Aircraft noise too and its not that close to the airport.

$75 would have been more like it,

Check in girl was a delight though.

Complained on check out to my concerns and the front desk guy told me I should have booked earlier........sure made me feel better that did.......NOT!

1 Thank datawx
FPSTA, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the feedback that you have provided. As you have already sent an email to us with the same information, we will respond to you directly.

As mentioned in our response, It is regretful that you found our hotel to be overpriced, when in-fact we are competitively priced with similar hotels in the area. In respect to our condition, our last renovation date is no earlier than the majority of Toronto Airport hotels. Despite our high standards and continued efforts in maintaining our property, we appreciate when specific concerns are brought to our attention.

I do apologize if you experienced slower than normal service in our bar. I have forwarded your concern to our Food & Beverage Manager. Our menu prices are inline with other Toronto Airport hotels, and many guests comment that we are quite reasonable.

The comment of “booking earlier”, as mentioned by our guest service agent, was intended as a suggestion to address your concern regarding the rate being higher than expected. We do have some fantastic advance purchase rates that are considerably lower than booking a couple of days ahead. He did not mean any disrespect by his comment and apologizes if it was taken out of context.

Please feel free to reply to the email I sent you with additional comments or feedback.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Have stayed here now twice and unfortunately, both times have been just so-so. The facility is in good condition with a nice staff. However, the hotel rooms themselves are very low quality compared with other types of hotels in this category and in the same area.

The restaurant is passable, but don't expect too much. Breakfast buffet is just slightly better than a self-serve continental breakfast at most other places. I recommend you order something off of the menu. The other downside of this property is that there are not real nicer dining options in the immediate area.

What is the most disappointing thing are the rooms, and in particular the size of the bathroom and the heating/AC in the rooms. I am a Starwood Preferred Gold member, and I got one of the SPG rooms, so I would think I had the best this property had to offer. The bathroom is very, very small and it almost requires you to step over the toilet to get to the shower to turn the faucets on.

As for the heating/AC system, it is an old style through the wall unit (the ones that you'll find in most budget hotels) that they've retrofitted with a central thermostat. The problem is that on any auto setting the thing turns on and off constantly all night. Those wall units are loud, and so when it turns back on, you get woken up. I ended up turning it to constant on mode and just got used to the running motor.

If these things don't bug you, then the hotel is generally quiet in comparison to other by the airport hotels that are near the end of the runways.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel for less airport noise. Generally it isn't a probl...
1 Thank Mark H
FPSTA, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us and appreciate your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

I am quite disappointed to read your comments regarding our breakfast. The full breakfast buffet option includes so much more that just a continental selection. Not only does our guests have the choice of sizzling bacon, hot eggs, sausage plus other hot items, we offer an omelet station where our chef personally makes your eggs to order!

Our guest rooms are very similar in size to other hotels around Toronto Airport and many of us have the traditional wall mounted HVAC units. We do apologize if this unit disturbed your sleep. I would strongly encourage you to have informed us during your stay so that we could have checked to see if this unit was operating correctly. Please contact me personally with your room number.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and continued loyalty to our brand.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stay at this hotel quite often for business as it is convenient being right across the street from Pearson airport and I have never really had any issues until my most recent stay. Here is what happened.

Four of us were staying at this hotel on business and we wanted to head up the street to a steak house for dinner, as we wanted to have a couple drinks as well we didn't want to drive so we asked the shuttle driver if he would take us and he said it would be no trouble, he took us less than 2km to the restaurant and as we were leaving I reached into my pocket to get him a tip and all I had on my was a $5 bill, I thought this was fine since he only took us a short distance however when I handed it to him he looked at it and said, and I quote "give me another one, a cab would cost you more"

I was in total shock that someone would even say such a thing, not only did it show a complete lack of class but the actions of this employee has altered my view of this hotel.

2 Thank traveling_j0e
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

Once again, as already indicated to you in person and by e-mail, we sincerely apologize for the comment made by one of our shuttle drivers.

Although his comment was meant to be jovial in nature, he completely understands how this could have been misunderstood. Our Driver, who has a great rapport with many of our guests, extends his personal apology.

I am very encouraged that the rest of your visits have been great and look forward to your return.

NC
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This is an above average four points, in speaking to the overall public spaces. The rooms are standard fare four points....being relatively small and basic in nature. The public spaces, however, are very open and quite large for this chain. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Overall just an overnight airport hop, but great stay for the price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel the night before leaving on a 1-week vacation to Cuba. Our intention was to stay somewhere close to Pearson and take advantage of the park & stay service.

Parking - We had no issues with parking. The lot is big and there is ample lighting.

Rooms - The rooms are dated, very small. The bathroom is so small that you need to almost stand on the toilet to get the door closed. There is no fan in the washroom and the shower was old and grungy. Beds were comfortable enough but the heat/air fan was loud and kept us awake (it was too stuffy so we needed air circulating). I suppose we could have asked to be moved to another room but it was late and didn't feel like moving our luggage any more than we had to.

Shuttle - This was the deal breaker. We were told upon check-in that the shuttle leaves the hotel every 1/2 hour and loops around Terminal 1 & 3 at Pearson. We left the hotel at 3am and found the shuttle waiting at the lobby, so that was fine. However, when we arrived back at Pearson we waited for the shuttle for nearly an hour. I eventually called the hotel and they said it was leaving the hotel in 15 minutes and should therefore arrive at Pearson soon after that. We waited almost another 30 minutes and after 3 more phone calls to the hotel to find out where the shuttle was, it showed up. No apology, nothing. When the driver let us off at the hotel he went into the lobby and had a seat. Lesson learned. The shuttle only moves if you call the hotel and ask it to. Otherwise, it's totally unreliable.

You might save $15 per room by booking here but it's not worth it. Stay at one of the other hotels near Pearson that also offer shuttles and are newer such as Marriott Suites, Hilton or Hampton Inn. You will get better service, cleaner rooms and a more reliable transportation schedule.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family