“Basically a flop house. Spend the extra”

Days Inn Toronto West Mississauga
Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Mississauga
Cold Lake
“Basically a flop house. Spend the extra”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

As a member of a company that requires travelling occassionally I have stayed in various Days Inn in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, and have enjoyed my stays at all of them. So when I saw the price online and spoke to the person I booked through on the phone I figured "Why not...?"

Heres why. When I booked on the phone, I was told it was "newly refurbished." Not even close. The 3rd floor room I was first given was way too humid with no ventilation so I went to open a window (they dont open) then to turn on the heat/cooling unit. At the window I noticed there was alot of moisture between glass panes, there was mold along windows and on the wall beside window ( I took pics for posterity).
I went downstaris to clerk, told him of the mold, and asked to be moved to different room . The new room (which is literally right next door to last room I was in) was a bit better. Although... When I went to put some drinks in the fridge, noticed it too was moldy in door trays. I decided to keep drinks in the car. Later in the evening when I returned to my room, after walking the length of a marijuana smoke filled hallway, I heard voices in the adjoining room with the moldy walls/window. Apparently they rented the room to a family with atleast one child. As a budget hotel, I didnt expect a whole lot, but I genuinely felt dirty when I left there. I sure hope the company I work for doesnt do a random drug test.

Disgusted. This flop house doesnt deserve the name "Days Inn"

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2012

It's a budget hotel, so I figured I couldn't expect much. However I have stayed at other Days Inns and never had such a horrible experience. First of all, when we checked into our room, the toilet had urine all over it. We had to call the maid from the hallway to come and wipe it down. Next, the air control didn't work well, took several minutes for the heat to kick in. The remote control was broken, so we couldn't channel search at all. We called the front desk, they gave us another, but it didn't fix the problem. The pillows were hard as a rock. Luckily the Walmart at Square One Mall had a sale on pillows $1.88 each, yes...we had to BUY pillows as we were there for 5 nights and knew we wouldn't get any sleep if we had to lay on those things. Last but not least..the bed had bed bugs.About a week after we got back, both myself and my mother broke out into a terrible rash. The doctor confirmed we had bed bug bites all over our arms..disgusting! I would not recommend this hotel at all, please spare yourself the hassle!! The only positive thing I can say is that staff was friendly and the breakfast was ok..well except for the spoiled yogurt..waffles were good and so was the coffee.

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a room on the 1st floor as there is no elevator in this 3 story hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shalld83
Toronto
Reviewed 13 January 2012

REASON FOR MY STAY: PARTY around the area

CHECK IN: the check in was slow, with the lady at the front being very cold.

ROOM: the room was small with a small bathroom to match. The room was standard with two beds, tv and desk. I felt that the towels and bed sheets were very clean, nothing over the top. You get what you pay for, and all we anted to do was sleep.
CHECKOUT: was just as unpleasant as the check in.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Great price , good basic breakfast and close to squareone mall

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Bassman1988
Gatineau, Quebec
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Considering the price per night, I would say it's pretty good. Me and my family stayed there for two nights and I don't have much to complain about. The room and the hotel are simplistic, but clean. For a short and economic stay is super fine.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Seven Corners, Virginia
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This was my first stay in the hotel of this price range north of the US-CA border. The hotel itself is rather aging building inside. Lobby is either in the state of full redesign & reconstruction or the pictures of it are complete fake. In any event don't expect what you see on them when you walk in. Rooms are small by US standards and feel cluttered with excess furniture. At first I had a single queen bed room that had a chest of drawers with TV on top, an armchair, a wardrobe cabinet, and coffee table. Again, pictures of the rooms on hotels.com are taken in such a way that makes rooms spacious.
Bathrooms are spacious with good water pressure and lots of hot water. As I mentioned before, the decor is rather aging. Bathtubs feel dated and overused with complicated water controls. Ceiling above bore traces of crude repair with plaster and there were places with wallpaper separating. Towels, while in good supply and clean, were also overused and rough to the point of scratching your body.
And then there was the Heater!!!
Overnight temperature suddenly dropped by around 20C. In the morning I've noticed that I'm actually freezing and heater box is not blowing any air into the room. I fiddled with controls to no avail and went downstairs to get help. The guy came up with me and verified that the unit was dead. Said something about breakers being off and went upstairs to turn them back on. In about a minute I felt a very loud explosion with a flash of light behind my back as the power was turned on. I ran out of my room and told the guy that he'd be kidding me if I'm to continue to stay in that room. Apparently, he was reluctant to believe me and proceeded to examine the heater. It looks like the power chord was wrapped with electrical tape that had now melted. This was room #208, beware and avoid it.
After that I was put in another room on a 3rd floor with 2 double beds. To accommodate two beds a wardrobe cabinet and armchair were replaced there with a single night stand.
TVs are old and small, however, Wi-Fi signal was quite strong in rooms around main staircase (no elevator, beware). I didn't plan to wake up early, so I can't judge their breakfast lasting until 9:00am. Surrounding neighborhood is nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Choose rooms around staircase for good Wi-Fi. Avoid room #208 due to heater problems. There's...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed there while in the area for buisness. The location was good it was 3 min to where i had to go and about 10 min from Sqaure One shopping mall. For $60 a night i soon realized why its that price. There was a long black hair on my bed when i turned down the sheets(i have short hair so its not mine), more hair in the bath tub before i used it, a hole in the bed sheet, the wall paper in the washroom was peeling off, the toilet was not the best flushing, no closet, the heater was either really hot or not on, i could hear EVERY sound from the room next to me and there was no elevator.(i stayed on the 2nd floor thankfully) The conti-breakfast in the mornings was bread, butter, jam or 3 choices of cereal. Wi-fi was good, free. Parking was good too. This is really just the basics a roof over your head and a bed.

Room Tip: Make sure your on the ground floor or the 2nd floor or else you have a lot of stair climbing to do.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business