“Have eaten here twice, both very good”
Review of Bistro Chezanne - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in Streetsville, opened in November 2010
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have eaten here twice, both times very good. Very friendly staff, and each time the food has been great. Will return here for sure. It is a quiet atmosphere, with excellent French style food. However, they were accommodating to my kids as well (9 and 5).

1  Thank Craigzzz

Reviewed 14 July 2012

A wonderful restaurant in the pretty downtown of Streetsville - the village in the city (Mississauga). Great food, cozy atmosphere, good service.

The complimentary macroons with coffee were to die for.

Unfortunately the business has now closed!

1  Thank Bruce Z
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I consider myself very fortunate to live close to this exceptional restaurant as it facilitates my being a regular customer. Foremost, it's their wonderful food preparation, tops in every category and at reasonable prices for such quality. They deftly use superb ingredients that result in delicious results with great care exhibited in presentation. As an example, a recent sumptuous chocolate torte dessert was garnished with tiny flakes of real gold. Who else does that?

The Bistro's environment is a distinctive blend of casual and formal with black table linens and contemporary art on the walls. Subtle French crooners sing softly in the background adding to the candle-lit romantic atmosphere. The bar and kitchen are located in the centre of the bistro creating two dining areas; the front with its expansive windows looking out on the centre of downtown Streetsville and the back dining room that tends to be quieter and even more comfortable.

The young, well-trained staff are very friendly and their service is attentive to formal details like serving on the right and clearing from the left. They are also quite knowledgeable of the menu items and can guide guests to make choices that ensure a great dining experience. The menu itself has ample choices in all categories without overwhelming the kitchen at busy times as so often happens at many other restaurants. The wine list is economical in it's carefully chosen listings to match the current menu's offerings. With each menu revision the wine list is carefully adjusted, a thoughtful approach in my opinion. There are also some distinctive European beers on tap. The rich and delicious Grimbergen Dubbel served in its distinctive gold-rimmed chalice is particularly enjoyable with the mussels and the cheese platter. My personal menu favourites include the Salade Chezanne, the mussels, braised short ribs and the halibut.

A recent week-end prix fixe special featured a pan roasted Duck Breast with a Port and Cranberry Beurre Blanc. It was simply one of the best things I have ever eaten. I had to call a friend and insist she return with me the next night to enjoy it with me again. It was just that delicious. The duck was perfectly cooked medium-rare with crisp skin and wonderfully moist and tender, unlike most duck I've had. It was served with tender-crisp fresh green beans, with parsnip, turnip and carrot batons and carefully carved chateau potatoes. Just spectacular! The meal started with a promptly-served amuse of a bite sized cheese ball filled with dried fruit and dusted in crushed toasted almonds. The soup course was a splendid looking and tasting plate one half with a purée of purple carrots and the other with a velvety cream of butternut squash. To top off the meal a we enjoyed a decadent flourless chocolate torte surrounded by fresh berries with Greek yogurt, a lighter alternative to the usual whipped cream and actually even tastier due to it's slight tartness.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have visited Chezanne several times, with friends, my husband, and relatives. The service has been consitently good, the food delicious. The menu is small but varied. Try the apple tart, or creme brulee for dessert. I have had the halibut, the steak, the beef bourgongon and the chicken medallions (on the March Prix Fix menu). Wine selection is somewhat limited though. The coffee is delicious, and served with a small macaroon. I will definitely keep going back!

2  Thank Teacher1406
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We've been to Bistro Chezanne twice and we've enjoyed it both times. The wait staff on both occasions was prompt and pleasant. On our last visit I had the escargot and boeuf bourguignon while my wife had a beet salad and salmon. Her salmon was perfectly cooked and very fresh. The bourguignon was done using short ribs and I found them to be a little fatty but the sauce was very good. I finished off with a nice cheese plate.

I would recommend Bistro Chezanne and we're looking forward to another visit.

2  Thank MustangJoe