“Well...the bed is comfortable”

Toronto Airport West Hotel
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Mississauga
Rochester, New York
“Well...the bed is comfortable”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Up front...we got this hotel with a Priceline bid.

That said, while the bid was $59, the taxes pushed it to $75, and the overnight parking fee pushed it to $91....not much of a bargain.

First, the "pros":

- Our Priceline reservation was a non-smoking, two-double bed room. We asked for a change to a single king, and the clerk gave us the change without a problem, and at no extra charge.

- The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean-ish and relatively quiet, given that the hotel is very near the airport.

- There was a small 'fridge...good enough to keep leftovers from the evening meal fresh, and bottles of soda cold.

- The wired internet worked fairly well and didn't require a password. I don't know whether there is wi-fi or not...we didn't need it with the wired connection available.

-The view from our 10th floor room was pretty nice.

The cons:

- Half the lights in the room were not plugged in, including the desk lamp (which would have required unplugging either the internet router or the 'fridge). The floor lamp would have required unplugging one of the the "wall warts" powering the bedside phone or the I-pod dock (which wasn't plugged in to its power pack either).

- There was no alarm clock in the room.

-The toilet intermittently refused to flush...we're theorizing that it simply took a VERY long time to refill, but we don't know...waiting a long time between flushes worked at least a couple of times.

-The A/C was the typical wall unit. The fan was set to run at "Low" constantly, and while it could be changed, we let it run to help mask outside noises. It was set at a chilly 71 degrees F. when we arrived and was giving the room a noticeably musty smell.

- While there was a small 'fridge to keep your leftovers fresh, there was no microwave to reheat them.

More neutral observations:

-The room was kind of shabby...it desperately needs a re-do. Old carpet, shabby bed skirt, chipped paint, dirty 'fridge...that sort of thing.

In short, the room we got was probably worth the original $59, but not really the $91 we ended up paying after the outrageous taxes and parking fees. There are other, and much nicer, hotels in the area available for the same price (or less). I wouldn't recommend staying at this one unless you're desperate.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TAWguestrelations, Manager at Toronto Airport West Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for this detailed review of our hotel. I am very sorry that you encountered several deficiencies in your room and I can ensure you that these will be addressed promptly. We are also happy to inform you that our hotel is scheduled for significant renovations, upates will follow shortly.
Thank you for staying at Toronto Airport West Hotel. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
London, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Dirty room, no vents in bathroom, dirty towels, stinky feet and sweat smell in the room, broken air conditioner, broken fridge. I would NOT RECOMMEND it AT ALL. The lobby looked fine, but once when I reached the room, it was not pleasant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Beamsville, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were lucky to find a deal through groupon a few days before our vacation. For $79 we got the room and parking (for up to 14 days if needed). Their customer service is absolutely fantastic and is way above any other hotel I have been to. Super friendly and efficient. We had covered parking which was nice. The shuttle ran every 30 min to the airport and you call them when you need to be picked up. The room is nice, the bed is a tad small but is SO comfortable! The washroom is a little dated but does the job. Thanks again for the great stay and great start to our vacation!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel back in September for a conference. For whatever reason, the organizers' payment did not go through and SIX AND A HALF MONTHS later, they still had my credit card info on file from the deposit and charged me and several other attendees for the fees.

What followed was a three-way wrestling match between me, my credit card company, and the hotel. For months several hundred dollars would randomly appear and disappear in my account based on whatever dealings they were doing.

Now I don't know what their terms and conditions are for deposits. But I was definitely not made aware that this would be a possibility. It seems to me that the regular practice would be to sue the company that organized the conference. Not keep credit card information for half a year to charge me instead. I've had to change my credit card number because I thought I had become some kind of fraud victim. Another lovely pain in the neck changing all my information all over the place.

If this is the kind of policy they're going to enforce on NORMAL, INNOCENT CUSTOMERS, I will never stay in a Delta hotel, ever again. You couldn't PAY me to stay there. I tried that once and wound up paying for it for months.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank melorun
Kemptville, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I booked 2 nights but my business was shorter than planned. Checked out early about 5 hours after check out for $30 which I thought was reasonable. Eventually this will become a Hilton, but for now they are not affiliated. Nonetheless, the staff make this hotel the 4 stars. They are all so pleasant and eager to make you happy. Rooms are standard hotel fare, nothing fancy. TV volumes were inconsistent between channels, but not a huge deal. Enjoyed my stay, good for a business trip at a good price. Not much to do around without a car, but you can shop for one no problem.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PottsyMJ
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel has been sold. Everything is generic. I'd stay clear till it sorts out. Staff is the same. Same problems with tv channels not being clear enough to watch. Same weird setup for internet access and same old worn out van for transport to the hotel. Fingers crossed for the new owners to sort it out.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank crjdrv
Cascais, Portugal
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Airport hotels are hardly exciting.
This one is well organized, staff is kind.
It is in need of a bit of renovation. Decor is dated.
However it has a free airport shuttle running from 3.30 am on and if you have time for breakfast starting at 6.30 am, the buffet has plenty of choice and is good quality.
We also tried the restaurant for lunch and dinner and it was good (certainly well above average for an airport hotel!)
No additional cost for the wifi
In short, I would recommend the hotel if you need to stay near Toronto's international airport

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business