“Le Germain does it again...”

Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Mississauga
vancouver
“Le Germain does it again...”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I’ve been fortunate to stay at every one of the properties in the burgeoning Hotel le Germain chain, from Calgary to Quebec.

I was really curious to see how the le Germain aesthetic would translate into the budget sphere.

I have to say the ALT surprised and delighted at every turn. There’s lots of mother chain’s DNA sprinkled throughout— from the high ceilings in the rooms, to the great lighting, to the crispy linens and comfy beds. The palette is grey, black, brown and white, just as you’d expect. Rooms are enormous—especially for the price.

In fact, you’d be hard-pressed to know that this is a budget hotel. Yes, there’s no room service or pool, but they’ve come up with a pretty novel solution: A bar that’s open till 2:00 a.m. (complete with pool table) and food available 24/7.

The food items are good enough, if not spectacular. There are lots of better catering suppliers out there— the hotel would be wise to audition some. But the service at the bar makes you forget the blandness of you meal. The people are friendly to a fault and the whole café area has an awesome vibe. Altogether much more fun than a mini-bar.

I’ll be interested to see how the place holds up-- lack of upkeep can make a cool hotel look dowdy without relentless ongoing attention. A few troubling signs: Both the iron and ironing board in my room were wonky.

I’m hopeful that with the people from le Germain in charge, this nascent chain will continue to exceed expectations. Even with a couple of niggles, it’s by far the best airport option at any price.

Room Tip: There only seem to be two classes of room-- to get a tub and shower, ask for the (marginally) more e...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Alt Hotel Toronto Pearson.

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and very pleased to hear that we were able to surprise and delight you at every turn here.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback on our Altcetera Grab & Go eatery, as this is a very new concept for us we value all comments we receive from our guests.

In regards to your comments on the upkeep of our hotel, I couldn't agree with you more in that a lack of upkeep would be a detriment to our vision and goal at Groupe Germain Hospitality. Rest assured I will also have our maintenance team have a look at the Iron and Ironing board in the room you recently stayed in.

Finally I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Nicolas Lazarou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We were recommended this hotel by airport staff after we were unable to travel to the states that night and couldn't fly until the morning.

Rather than taxi back to Toronto and return again the next day, we were very happy with our decision. The hotel is lovely, very trendy, very friendly and a great lobby area with lots of seating areas plus a bar area with seating and a pool table. There is no restaurant, instead a selection of various meals that the staff then take and heat up for you. They also serve the drinks and whilst I'm sure some people would prefer a restaurant, this suited us perfectly.

Room was small but well laid out, very comfy bed and extremely quiet considering the location. The next morning we took the free airport shuttle to our terminal, all very easy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion and that you really enjoyed the style and feel of the property. I am pleased that you were also able to enjoy our Altcetera grab and go eatery and this suited you perfectly.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Halifax,Nova Scotia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

When overnighting at Pearson usually stay at the Sheraton.
Decided to give this a try and glad we did.Viable option for YYZ.
Nice modern quiet rooms.
Friendly and prompt check in.
We do prefer coffee machines in room rather than having to go to lobby to ask for coffee for a charge.Minor gripe and morning free coffee is a must for us.
Until October 2013 I think,the monorail that connects hotel to airport terminals is not operating.This is a bit of a pain as you now have to take a bus.
Would def stay here again but after October .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion, I am sorry that the Link Train is currently closed. This closure is to allow Pearson Airport to complete the connection of the new Metrolinx train which once complete will allow guests who arrive into Pearson Airport to be able to take one train into downtown Toronto.

During the closure of the Link Train as you know there is a shuttle which is being operated by Pearson Airport. The folks at Pearson Airport have assured us of the same frequency on the bus as on the trains and so far the feedback we have received from clients who have used it has been quite positive. I do hope your experience was a positive one as well.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Just stayed at the Alt hotel at Toronto Pearson Airport. Very nice lobby area with bar and area to buy per-made munches. No restaurant or room service. Very hip seating areas throughout the lobby area. The staff was very pleasant; had very great conversation with the Canadian-Ozzy gentleman. The versatile room we stayed in was like a little loft with 2 queen beds. The bathroom products are great (Fruit & Passion) and in great abundance. My only complaint is that there is no coffee maker in the room but coffee is available 24 hours a day in the lobby. Only other negative is the fact that the monorail to the hotel is closed for renovations until Oct 2013. Would definitely return to this charming hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 May 2013

After spending seven nights over three visits to the Germain hotel in downtown Toronto, I decided to stay at the ALT at Pearson when passing through with an overnight layover in Toronto.

Logistics: at the end of the monorail line connecting the airport and the remote parking (currently closed for construction but replaced by a bus that leaved every 5 minutes). Hotel: stylish, spectacular service, no nonsense. Quick checkin, modern, loft style room. Impeccably clean. Super bed and sheets, great shower. Great night's sleep. I originally thought that the absence of a restaurant would be a problem: not so: there is a lounge area, full service bar, and a wide selection of perfectly good entrees that you can heat up for a quick meal. Service: universally friendly, engaged, French Canadian. I can't remember having such a solid hotel experience for such a fair price.

Now: about the shares: trust me, this is a hotel company who knows how to do it right. Affordable luxury is exactly right: they deliver all of the things I go to luxury hotels for (sheets, service, decor, comfort) at 1/3 the price. ALT is what the limited service hotels like Hyatt Place (and frankly even full-service brands like W) dreamed of when their concept teams got together.

If I could, I'd invest in Germain: They make the other hotel companies look like they're standing still.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion and in particular found the service of the staff here to be excellent.

I will be sure to share your comments with the team of the hotel who I am sure will appreciate knowing that their efforts have been recognized and remembered.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed 2 nights while at a conference nearby. It is a beautiful hotel with a very helpful staff. I am not a fan of the common hotels so I was delighted when I found the ALT. The rooms are furnished in a funky and comfy way and I had a peaceful, enjoyable visit. I will happily stay again when I have the chance. It reminded me of the Drake and that is a good thing : )

Room Tip: This was my first stay so I can't compare rooms. I will say my room was an oasis.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion in particular the comfort of our rooms and peaceful ambiance.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.