“Don't let low price trick you.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #51 of 62 Hotels in Mississauga
Halifax, Canada
“Don't let low price trick you.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked six weeks in advance. Took 30 minutes for shuttle driver to get me to hotel since he was dropping off people at long-term parking. Took nearly ten minutes to check in because desk clerk stopped in middle to answer phone call for one of the rental car companies sharing the office. Finally got key (now midnight) and went up to room to find Do Not Disturb sign on door. I risked opening door to find room completely messy. When I went down to desk, clerk said
"but the computer says it's clean". They had no other room so I left.
It is not worth the savings - get a real room at a real hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nova_Scotian_guy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Waterloo, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Terrible experience! First, I was taken off property about three km to park my car, then felt nauseous with the smell of 'Subway' taking over the whole "hotel" (which is actually the second floor of a strip mall) and most of my clothes, then discovering that at 4:30 in the morning the shuttle driver (when he stopped talking on his cell phone while driving long enough to explain it) was taking me to the parking garage to take the sky train in to the airport, doubling the time. This sham hotel is making money by not paying the shuttle fee to drop off at the airport. The $10 savings is not worth it!

Room Tip: Very few rooms so there really isn't choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CUJO701
Geelong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed overnight between flights. The room was clean and comfortable. A bit noisy because I was street side and wanted to sleep with the window open. I found the airport shuttle service (albeit free) to be quite unprofessional however. I was a solo female traveller and arrived late (10pm) and found the instructions for where to meet the shuttle at the Viscount terminal link station rather vague and no sign posting to indicate exactly where at this station to wait. I didn't appreciate waiting in the dark outside the station in a very unpopulated area at this time of night.
I also had to use my own phone (international number for me so nice charges added to my holiday expenses) to call the hotel for a shuttle. Would have been nice if there were courtesy phones provided!! The shuttle itself wasn't very clearly marked with the NU hotel signage so I wasn't sure if it was the right one when it showed up. Also they didn't ask my name when I called for the shuttle and the driver had no ID to confirm he was from the hotel shuttle service so if there hadn't been another nice gentleman catching the shuttle I would have been a bit uncomfortable getting into a huge white van with this guy, who also didn't bother to tell me which shuttle service he was driving for and just asked where I was going and said "yep I'm going there".
I have written to the hotel to suggest they improve the professionalism of their shuttle service. Aside from that I would recommend this hotel for a short overnight stop. But make sure you get to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight early in the morning. In my experience even with 1.5 hours to spare, bag drop and security lines were so long that I got to the gate only 5 minutes before boarding started.

Room Tip: room across from the lift and stairwell streetside (201) is really noisy - noise from the street and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StephBg-town
Oshawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

It took 20 minutes to park. Got to room and the key did not work, had to go get new key. Room was OK certainly no 4*. They them informed us that we had to take the car off premises to park we went to grab a bit than came back. Well standing in line the couple behind us was telling us how they just went into somebodies else room (ours). Really not impressed at this point!! The manager was not helpful at all, in fact she informed us this happens all the time!! We booked a wake up call that we did not get!! The night clerk/shuttle driver said they don't do wake up calls. We just made our flight. (by the way they dont drop you off at terminal only at train). Upon arriving back to pick up car we had to phone two times before we were picked up. Than we went back to Hotel and picked up somebody to bring them to the airport (cant figure that one out) than we were brought to our car!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sbailey258
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I arrived by car in Toronto a day before my other reservation was available, so I needed an overnight in West End Toronto. A booking.com window pointed me to this property, so I booked it at $65 plus $8 for parking.

It is a property that I would describe as European--small rooms, basic furnishings, clean lines, no carpet. It seems to be a repurposed property where some small businesses (car rental agency which shares desk space with the hotel, Subway shop) share the ground floor and about 15 rooms upstairs serviced by a small elevator. Check-in and parking were not an issue.

I really appreciated the fact that there were bare floors (synthetic wood in the room, lino in the hall) as I have sometimes had concerns about carpeting. The room was clean, the queen bed covered with a sheet-duvet combination, a small work area tucked in by the window and a flat screen TV across from the bed. The bathroom had a small (but deep) tub/shower combo, sink and toilet, with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap and two sets of bathroom linen. The air-conditioner managed to beat back the Toronto humidity and keep the room comfortable (and did not rattle).

I was tired enough that I didn't notice much external noise; I was aware, every so often, of engine noise from the airport, but didn't hear the street noise, and only occasional noise from the hall.

My only complaint was the TV channel selection -- there were only ten channels available, and only one US network (NBC). Were I staying more than an overnight here, I would be frustrated by this.

It is all that I needed for the night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here, well, tonight, May 25, 2014. It is almost 3am and I am still awake. Is it the incredibly loud ice machine right across the hall? Is it the complete lack of carpet that has every sound echoing incredibly loudly?

The "hotel" if you want to call it that is basically converted space on the second floor of a commercial building. Like living above a store.

We booked a room with a king size bed. My wife are sleeping in two separate "queen" size beds but they are two doubles, let's be honest. The room is ridiculously, comically small. The door just about hits the beds when you come in. You have to shimmy to get to the bathroom and I have banged my shins on the beds more time than I can tell you. I have been here only 4 hours and I can't wait to leave.

The check in process was painful to say the least. They didn't seem to know what they heck was going on with my booking. They accepted the King size booking but didn't keep it for me. I said "so I can't sleep with my wife" and they assured me it was a very nice room. Uhm, have they been up here? Oh, I don't have a window but I do have a skylight.

Do not stay here. Not even for one night. Parking is ridiculous, there is none. Run, don't walk, to the nearest Days Inn or Comfort Inn or just sleep in the back of your car, you'll get a better sleep.

Room Tip: It may not matter, they will give you whatever they want or have. My booking didn't seem to mat...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple