“Loved the Crowne Plaza”

Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Illinois
“Loved the Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed one night and as soon as I walked into the lobby, I loved this hotel!. We paid a standard room rate of $99 and were upgraded to a king room with a balcony overlooking both falls. We could hear the roar of the falls from our room. The room was very nice and the bathroom was updated with authentic fixtures and a wonderful shower. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We took the advice of another reviewer and signed up for a membership at the adjoining casino and our parking fee of $20 was validated at check out. The location of this hotel is great for the shops and restaurants, and an easy, level walk to the falls. Our room also overlooked the Rainbow Bridge. We were on the 11th floor so we did have to change elevators, but is is so simple I cannot see why anyone would complain.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jolily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Walked into the lobby and so impressed and excited. What a beautiful hotel, can't wait to see my room. As a Priority Platinum Elite member I was sure that my room would be something special even though I used points.

To say that when I removed the wrapping - opps opened the door to room 835 and was disappointed would be an understatment. I requested a QUIET room. This room overlooked, not the water falls but the huge air conditioning units and the parking garage. I called down to the front desk and asked for another room, one that I could sleep in. "We don't have any other rooms for YOUR level". What????? I am a Platinum Elite member and as such I thought that they would be a little nicer.

The bed - hard as a rock. Pillows were nicer than I expected.

Room - okay it was small, it was cramped, the two of us could not walk on the same side of the room because there was no space. Outdated yet but that can be overlooked when your eyes are closed.

Air conditioning. Remember those huge AC units outside? Well they must not reach up to the 8th floor because even with the thermostat turned down to 70 the cold air DID NOT come out, the unit got cool but it just radiated out. Couldn't open the window because the lights from the parking garage filled the room and the noise from the ac units was loud.

Windows - the black out drapes - HAHAHA, they were too narrow for the window so Crowne had drape clips holding them closed. Worked great for that spot but 5 inches above and below - forgetaboutit.

Pipes - I do like pipe organ music and I like to hear water fountains. I DO NOT like to hear water going down the pipes every time someone flushes or turns on the tap. The drain in the bathtub was a huge speaker that filled the room with noise. Maybe that was the hotels version of the falls that I couldn't see.

The lobby - ah yes, the lobby was beautiful and it was cooler than my room. I sat there for 2 hours from 1 am to 3 am because my room was just plain ole too hot and noisey to sleep. Did the front desk clerk even ask why I wasn't in my room, nope.

I was surprised to read the reviews by other priority club members and the wonderful greetings they received. Nope and nope. Will I return, to Niagra Falls yes, to Crowne Plaza, not if there is a park bench available.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room? Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Dear Carol232b,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We chose a room facing the American falls on the ninth floor. It was also possible-just-to see the Horseshoe falls. The room was small but adequate. Air conditioner was somewhat noisy, but we considered it a bonus that it could be turned off, and the window could be opened. The king size bed was great, the pillows excellent.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff C
Atlanta USA
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in September, and thanks to my platinum status was upgraded was upgraded to a falls view with balcony - it was a big balcony too - this is an old hotel - the extra elevator to get to the 11th floor from the 9th floor must be 100 years old! The staff were actually great, the location is super, the bed was comfortable but the bathrooms are small and old. Parking is expensive. Buffet breakfast a bit hit and miss. View from balcony is tremendous - I would return.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Expattraveler100
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were pleased by the view of the falls. The restaurant on the top floor had a clear sight of both the American and Horseshoe Falls. It was stunning to wake up to the sound of the thunder of the water. The hotel is well placed for a stroll along the park adjoining the Falls. The breakfast was great. We were able to see the sights on foot. The hotel is near the bus tstops for Niagara on the Lake. We negotiated a late checkout and the concierge was very helpful. The room was spacious, comfortable and well appointed.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view of the Falls
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank quietc0uple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 27 September 2012

As a priority member, I was treated really special. Once we were in our room, a free bottle of wine was delivered to us. Then a refrigerator for free because I called the desk and said that I thought the rooms included a refrigerator. The seating area was special - outside balony with a view of the falls and the fireworks at night. The only disadvantage was the numerous elevator rides.

Room Tip: The 10 & 11th floor have a special elevator to get to them. We stayed on the 11th floor with a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Melody M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was and the location is absolutely great. It's an easy and very senic walk right to the edge of the falls that anyone can do. The hotel is definatley older but it is also very classy and has that warm feeling the newer hotels are missing. Our room was perfect ! on the 12th floor facing the falls with floor to ceiling windows that opened to allow us to hear the roar. Parking was easy and no car is needed once checked in. We took a taxi to the new casino so we could have dinner at Canyon Creek (also a must place to go for food - amazing !!!) and it only cost about $6. We actually walked back to the Crowne Plaza from Canyon Creek because it was so nice out.

Room Tip: High floor facing the falls are great. For floors 11 and 12 there is a seperate elevator. Some rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple