“Just okay”

Best Western Fallsview
Ranked #51 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed on Saturday night the first weekend of February. I know there has been alot of snow lately but the parking lot was not plowed very well and it was difficult to find a spot to park once coming back for dinner. I think if im paying $15 a night to park they really should make sure no spots are taken up by snow piles. The location is good extremely close to the casino if thats what you are after but it was alot more run down inside than i had expected. The vending machine was almost empty when trying to buy a drink and there was an old towel on the shower curtain bar that had been left. We had a two queen bed room and the room was very spacious, bed was comfortable. We were put on the ground for and had a giant sliding glass door that let to a patio connected to the parking lot. We opened the door because no matter how low i had the heat set it was fairly warm in our room. The lock on the glass door did not work so the only way you could close it was to make sure the security bar was in place. Overall its fine if you arent expecting much and can get the room for a really decent price. i wouldn't pay more than $70 a night for it,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrissa
There are newer reviews for Best Western Fallsview

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Because of the early time I arrived at the hotel to check in (10 AM) I had no problem checking in. Front Desk staff were very helpful with the check in and giving me directions to the areas I wanted to go to. Fallsview Casino is located right across the street which made me very happy. Loved the indoor pool for my laps. Great view of the falls.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Ken H
BWFallsview, General Manager at Best Western Fallsview, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Good Morning Ken,

I am so glad that you liked our hotel and ammenities so much. Thank you so much for the kind review, we try to make it a nice experience for guests to come to our hotel and it is so nice to have your feedback.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

it reminds me of one trip to Rome ,where they have no public rest room ,you have to use a café to relieve your self, so they make you buy something to use their rest rooms, in the best western they make you pay for parking, that's just the start and coffee is optional after the first cup, the noise level unbelievable, the internet slow we were awakened at 3 am by drunks from the casino ,the elevator noise was very loud ,by the time our stay was over I felt like a pluck chicken, they nickel and dime you to death ,we stay at the Best western in the US and never have I felt like I'd been taken advantage of, it just might be that location, so if you go to Niagara Falls Have plenty of cash, the Canadian's love cash or credit card. ,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Paul R

Good Afternoon Paul,

I apologize that you were not happy with your stay. Almost all of the hotels in the Fallsview District have a parking fee at the hotel. We do supply two packages of coffee for two pots of coffee per day and there is a fee for additional, this is a common hotel practice, I am so sorry if this gave you a bad feeling.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We reserved a room with 2 double beds using a winter promotion that included $200+ of coupons, so all that was left to make this a positive experience was to have an enjoyable stay. The Best Western Fallsview is exactly what you would expect from a Best Western - cost-effective and moderately styled.

The check-in and check-out process was long because of a line-up, but there is an express check-out service. We had to go through the regular check-out process just to understand that the $8 additional charge on the invoice was the tax on the promotional voucher - it would have been easier to see this if the code and description on the invoice were more clear.

The location is close enough to the falls and other attractions, and there is a shuttle to certain locations (e.g. the restaurant included in the promotion). With better weather, it would be a fairly easy walk to most restaurants and casino, and it's not far from Clifton Hill with all the attractions.

We requested early check-in and they had an upgraded room available for an extra $15 - queen beds with a larger more modern room facing the falls. No actual falls view, but it was a great view of the fireworks. Lots of room to walk around and for the kids to play. There's a real balcony too so you can stand (or sit) outside. I actually liked the soap/shampoo dispenser mounted to the inside of the shower, which avoids fumbling around with those small bottles. Dual sinks and added counter space really helped too.

The pool is a good size, and I liked that the deep end is only 1.4m in depth. We went first thing in the morning, and the hot tub was being drained and cleaned, so even when it was ready more than an hour later, it wasn't at all warm. Chalk that up to timing.

One issue my wife had with the room was the heater - in the middle of the night, it started making a "dripping" or "pinging" noise which drove her nuts, but didn't stop the rest of us from sleeping. Also, the restaurant where we tried to dine didn't understand why the hotel staff didn't advise us a reservation was needed when we checked in. I didn't expect it to be that busy in winter, even for a Friday night. The front desk staff was courteous enough to offer a small credit for these two items.

Overall, it was a great deal for the price - for the amount paid, I would normally expect an old building with below average upkeep, but I was pleasantly surprised. Even without the promotional food/gaming discounts, the price would still be great.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded room if available
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sirmaestro

Good Morning Sirmaestro,

Thank you very much for your lovely review! We are currently looking at ways to help speed up the check in and check out process. I'm glad that the Front desk helped you out with the inconveniences that you experienced. I'm pleased that you were pleasantly surprised with your stay, we try to stay current and constantly try to do minor upgrading to make it a good experience for our guests.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

As others have mentioned, I booked a $69 deal for Saturday with Living Social. The taxes are 13% for HST and 4% for TIF (Tourism improvement fee) were to be paid upon arrival, which works out to approximately $11.73. Upon arrival, I was told the total fees were $24. I asked why the discrepancy? The check-in girl said it's because the 17% taxes is paid on the regular price of the Queen room rates not the coupon. The regular room rate is $69 for the Queen as well, which I pointed out. But she said it was $119 at the time of check-in.. um.. okay.. but I booked the room in advanced, so why should I pay taxes on the current room rate? I checked into my room and checked online and voila, the price was still $69. Something seemed not right.
The next day when I checked out, I asked about the charges. I noticed we were charged a room rate of $16 and then the extra taxes. The check-in girl(a different one from yesterday) said she'll remove the extra taxes. However, even after removing the extra taxes, the remaining balance was still higher than what I expected to pay. After I requested to speak to the manager and asking a 3rd time to have the correct charges applied, I received them. It's funny that this time around, there was no mention of taxes having to be paid on the 'current' room rate, making believe it is not true.

I have reason to believe they are Trumping up extra fees to supplement these deals. So very that you are indeed only paying taxes on the value you paid for your deal. They cannot charge you taxes on the cost you did not pay.

Also parking is $15. If you don't mind walking 1 block, and you have a Players Advantage Card and will use it to gamble, you can get complimentary parking at Fallsview Casino.

If you plan to use Ruths $70 steakhouse, book ahead. The time slots fill up and when we tried to change our time slot on Saturday, it was completely booked.

The $20 voucher listed for THE KEG, could also be used at TGIF, and EAST SIDE MARIOs, which make it a better value.

The Captain Jacks two $50 card play was worth the $2 activation fee. Great for the young at heart. Keep in mind, this is not within walking distance.

If you plan to use any of these deals be aware of the extra charges paid upon check-out.
Arrive early or later. 4:30pm was a long lineup, and they were short staffed for the amount of people in line. Same for the checkout at 11 the next day. It's a nice hotel, spacious rooms, nothing fancy. Close to restaurants and the Fallsview Casino. If you want to go to Lundy's Lane/Clifton Hills/Fallsview area, you need a car.

Shame on Best Western for those extra charges. I'm sure they fooled the majority of folks who just wanted to check-in or check-out without causing a fuss because of long lineups.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Agent226
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Location of the hotel was pretty good as it is across from Fallsview Resort and the Hilton on Fallsview Blvd (many restaurants in that area). The room is basic, but functional. Bed was surprisingly good quality when compared to the rest of the room - it must be recently upgraded as the comforters were also very plush.

The biggest complaint I had was with the noise from the halls and adjacent room. We stayed on a Saturday night, and I guess there were a lot of young people staying at the hotel so around 2 am in the morning a bunch of them came back from a club/bar and were very loud in the hall. The room door provided little insulation - it lasted for around 10-15 minutes and then the group separated. But we continued to hear chatter in the room next door (our room was one of the ones with interconnecting doors and I think that was the weak point with respect to noise). We were pretty tired, so we didn't bother to call front desk and eventually we dozed back to sleep. In the future, maybe you want to bring some earplugs to be safe.

One suggestion for management: we booked a Teambuy deal for this hotel and on checkout, the bill was very brief, the bulk of the cost went to some generic category called "Room Charge". Apparently it is a breakdown of various fees like TIF, ECO fee and tax. Why not provide the full breakdown on the invoice to start? I removed one point for service for this reason.

The most important thing was the room was clean, and overall the hotel stay was exceptional value especially combined with the various vouchers from the Teambuy deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canuck2103

Good Morning Canuck2103,

Thank you for the review. We do pride ourself on having a fantastic location on Fallsview Blvd and we do constantly update the rooms and ammenities, our beds and bedding were replaced last spring. We do have security at the property 24 hours on the weekend but with our location so close to the clubs and casino it is impossible to keep up with all the noisy rooms at the hotel. If you call down to the Front Desk we wil send someone to warn the noisy party to be quiet and after one warning we do evict. I am so sorry if others disrupted your night.

I am glad that your overall stay was good and I hope that we see you again.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Overall the stay was pleasant. Rooms are a good size and clean. It was nice to have a balcony. Pool was fairly clean, hot tub looked like it could use some help. I was quite disappointed that I had to pay $30.00 to park for the weekend. The hotel wasn't walking distance to the falls or clifton hill so we had to pay additional parking there as well. Girl at the front desk offered us an upgrade for $10.00 a night so that we could have a view of the fireworks on the night we arrived. Was a good view, but $20.00 to see the fireworks, I made a bad choice. Would have been nice if there was a mini fridge in the room. Walls in the halls were carpeted, a little odd, but maybe to cut down on the noise.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kreed100

Good Morning kreed100,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, I am sorry to hear that you feel like the hotel is not close to the falls. This super cold winter makes walking any distance awful I know, but the hotel is one of the closest walks to the falls being at the main access road to the falls on the Fallsview strip. We are actually working on having access to mini fridges for our guest’s convenience. I know that the carpeted walls seems out of the ordinary but you are absolutely correct that it is for noise reduction, it's amazing the amount of noise that it cuts down on.

I hope that we get to see you again, maybe in a little warmer weather!