“Good No Frill Stay”

Ranked #49 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Houston, Texas
“Good No Frill Stay”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wanted to visit Niagara Falls without spending 400 a night for a weekend stay. I'll give you the good and the bad. The good: better rate than a lot of other hotels in the area, rooms were very quiet and clean, in walking distance to the Falls, and IHOP on site for breakfast. The bad: very old hotel, bordering on the run down side, parking was extremely difficult, pool areas were shabby looking,

If you just need a place to lay your head at night, the hotel will work. If you want a resort feel, go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank happywanderer1
April W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fallsview, responded to this review, 30 October 2014
Good Evening happywanderer1,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your quiet, clean room. We are working on a three year renovation plan to update different areas of the hotel. We also have an over flow lot for the parking in the event we run out of spots. Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Toronto
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just stayed at the Beat Western Fallsview. My husband, five year old and I enjoyed ourselves.

Ok first off the beds are extremely comfortable! I swear they were better than my bed at home. Ok check in was fine. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room by $40 and we get queen size beds and a view of the fireworks over by the falls they do three times a week. Well it was well worth it! Nice big comfy beds and awesome fireworks, that we watch from the balcony at 10pm. We went to the indoor pool which was pretty small, but we luckily had it to ourselves for 40 min. Not much to complain about. If I had to pick, I'm not really a fan of IHOP and that was the restaurant in the best western. We went there the next morning for breakfast after check out. The food was really expensive and most of it super greasy and unhealthy ...go figure it's a greasy spoon place. I ordered French toast and it was awful, it tasted like bread soaked in butter... My son liked his pancakes so they were good I guess. I guess another thing I didn't care for was the arcade near the lobby. My kid won a bunch of tickets from the games and wasn't able to redeem them for prizes- we asked where do we redeem them?the hotel said down the street at the four points Sheridan! What the deuce? How lame. Anyway the hotel room was nice, pool was nice. Would for sure go back :)

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies, so find out what your view will be cause you may want to upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank trinity10_29
Good Evening trinity10_29,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your comfortable bed and your upgraded room. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the IHOP. I will give them your feedback. We provide a free shuttle bus to the Four Points and back if guests need to redeem their tickets from the games. Thank You for staying with us. We can't wait to see you back again!
Compton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed here for one night. We had a ground floor room with supposedly a city view, our view was of the road and when we were next to the swimming pool but that didn't cause us any problems. The rooms are dated and the air conditioning controls weren't easy to find. There is an IHOP on site but I found that to be very expensive even with the 10% discount you get given to eat there. I would probably stay else where if I go there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie A
April W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fallsview, responded to this review, 2 November 2014
Good Evening Debbie A,

Thank You for staying with us. We are currently working on a three year renovation plan to update many different areas of the hotel. If you have any troubles with finding the controls you can always call down to the front desk, we are always happy to send help. I am sorry that you found the IHOP expensive. I will advise them of your feedback. We value your opinion.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our experience of the stay at Best Western was overall good! The staff is excellent! The amenities, Coffee Machine, Tea Bags etc in the room should certainly be considerably improved. We did not find any tea bags and there were also not enough creamers available.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Sreeram V
April W, General Manager at Best Western Fallsview, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Good Morning Sreeram,

I apologize that we do not put tea bags into our guest rooms, if you call down to the Front desk we are more than happy to bring some up for you as well as more creamers, I am so sorry for that inconvenience. I am glad that the overall experience that you had was good. I hope to see you again!
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Having visited several locations in America and Canada for our silver wedding anniversary celebrations we definitely pulled the short straw with this place! Upon the allocation of our room we were surprised that we had been given two beds. When we asked if we could have a room with just one bed we were told we would have to pay $30 to upgrade which we refused. So we were given a room at the back of the hotel overlooking a car park and main road. There were signs outside the hotel on both nights saying they had rooms available... So so so unfriendly I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sjrcthegreys
April W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fallsview, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
Good Evening Sjrcthegreys,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not get the room type that you wanted, and that you felt we were not friendly. We have a certain number of each type of room available and if a room with two beds is booked, then that would be the room that you would receive. We do charge a fee to upgrade the room type since it is a more expensive room. We are always striving to lead the industry in superior customer care, I apologize if you felt that we were not friendly to you. Thank You for your valuable feedback.
southampton
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for one night only. Had it booked on the advise of our travel agents as it apparently had views of Niagra falls. Well blow me down, she must have better eye sight than either of us as it was definitely not visible from this hotel. That said we had a more than enjoyable stay here. Rooms were large and comfortable. Staff really nice and helpful. We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel mainly due to tiredness and coyldn't be bothered to find anywhere else. Meals were nice both times and waiter we had for dinner was lovely and helpful. Short walk to the falls from hotel. Free perfevtly working wifi. All in all a pleasurable stay. Nothing wrong with this place at all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicSouthampton
Good Morning Nicsouthhampton,

I am so sorry that you recived wrong information from your travel agent that lead to you not reciving what you thought you were going to get, I am so glad that you had such a great stay with us! Our staff really do try to be as helpful and accommodating as possible and I'm glad that you experienced that. I hope that we see you again.
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you don't want to read the whole review, just read the next line:

Though dated, and has many minor issues that need fixing, this is still a great place to stay!

Three of us stayed for 5 nights(checked in aug 4 out aug 9) and had two rooms on the sixth floor-rooms 665 and 667 main tower. We were quite pleased overall with our stay.

There were a few cons to the stay/hotel, and here they are:
the hallways are hot, the elevators are slow, hot, and the central one was down most of the first two days, but fine after that.
The on site IHOP is overpriced, and the food is average.
The hallways are carpeted which we liked but some find a turnoff, and they in fact did not lessen the noise as much as I had thought, as the people across from us could be heard whenever they were too loud coming and going, though never a problem while sleeping.
the air conditioning was quite loud in the daytime, but ok at night as you can turn it down, and remain comfortable.
the room decor is not great, especially the bedding which looks quite ugly.
A chemical they use in cleaning the bathroom has a foul smell which some reviewers mistook for urine, and although it was not caused by urine, it smelled a lot like it all the same.
wifi was unpredictable at best, sometimes fast, but often overloaded and impossible to connect to for hours at a time.

those cons are minor when compared to the pros of staying there which were:
Extremely cofortable beds.
Large rooms(ours were 2 queen tower view, can't guarantee all rooms are large)
The staff were incredibly friendly, even on the Monday which was a civic holiday and one staff member said was the busiest day of the summer.
the woman who cleaned our room was exceptional, and extremely accommodating to our schedule and needs.
The Ihop staff seemed genuinely happy to be working there and to see us, not the usual insincere front you often see.

There is plenty more to say, but this review is long enough.
In short, this best western is not perfect, but was a pleasure all the same.

Room Tip: Sixth floor tower view was great, you can see the fireworks from the balcony(10 pm Wednesdays, Frida...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Good Evening Mark B,

I am happy to hear that there were so many pros to your stay with us. We are currently working on a three year renovation plan to update many different areas of the hotel. We have also updated our WiFi network. I will mention to the housekeeping that the cleaner is not the prettiest smelling. I will also tell all of our staff what a wonderful job they are doing. Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We hope to see you again soon !