“Relaxed and at home”

Susan's Villa
Ranked #29 of 67 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
“Relaxed and at home”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We came to Niagara Falls for our 14th wedding anniversary in August 2013. We found Susan' Villa via trip advisor and we're not disappointed. The facilities were clean and well taken care of. They are also in the process of improving the back yard. We were able to come and go as we pleased and each morning we were served a very special and unusual breakfast. Susan and Edwin are wonderful hosts. Edwin took the time to recommend several side trips, which became great highlights of our trip. The location is close enough to downtown for walking, but far enough away to be in a quiet neighborhood. We will choose this accommodation again when we return on our next anniversary.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
This is just great.
Another visitor who came as a guest and left as a friend. He is like 99% of the people who stay with us.

Sometimes we get a bad apple. That happens. Some people are hateful for unknown reasons.
Some politicians are liked by 50 %, Susan’s is liked by 99%.

Thanks for this super A one review.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
switzerland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room are very clean and Susan performed an awesome service. The all you can eat breakfast is various and delicious. Lovely furnished home, a nice backyard and free parking is also available. The B&B is perfect located and you can walk in 5-7min to the rainbow bridge and in 20-30min to the water falls.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for this review.
I value honest and nice guests very much.
Metzingen, Germany
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I have been with my wife at the Villa in from Sept. 15 to Sept. 19, 2012.
We were in the Italian Suite. Edwin was at the door to greet us when we came and explained everything we needed to know about Niagara Falls.
Everything was really great. The comfort and the breakfast.
Susan`s breakfast was the best. Very good tasting, daily changes, and the German Pancakes.

The location ia really super. To the falls and Clifton Hill we walked in less than 10 minutes.

We´ll be back. For sure. We recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Depending on the size of your family you may choose a superior suite. I clicked accidentally the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Thank you very much for this great review.
Wil, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We are from Germany and have been at Susan’s before. And we will surely come again!

If you like a CLEAN, comfortable, and safe place to stay close to the falls than this is it. Edwin & Susan are impeccable hosts...informative, friendly, accommodating...- all you want and like is here!

I've been home for a week now & miss them! Susan makes the best breakfasts. Great German Pancakes! Better be HUNGRY in the morning as she always has way too much good food on the table.

We all love the place. It is less than a 10 minute walk to the Falls and Clifton Hill.

The Italian suite is such a nice place to stay. There were 2 bedrooms; 1 with a queen bed & the other with a twin bed & fold out couch.

The bedrooms and the bathroom were all VERY clean which is really important to us.

The deck is a great place for relaxing.It is nice & shady. Also a nice place to have the breakfast outdoors.

I am very excited to return and will definitely reserve a room with the two of them again.

Simone & Thorsten

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SIMONE798
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you very much for this great review.
It was very nice to take the time to write this.
Susan and I hope to see you soon again.
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Do not book this Bed and Breakfast. My husband and I planned a romantic getaway and decided to try this place. It appeared to be in a good location, have a good price, and seem to be reasonably decorated. We arrived at about 10:30 on Saturday… night and to our great surprise there was noone to check us in..although the first clue should have been a note hanging by the shoe rack at the front door to leave our shoes there. The couple that was staying at the Bed and Breakfast let us into the doorway and told us that the owners are not there and that we should contact them. Considering that we had international roaming at that point that was already a turn off for us. We contacted the owner who informed us that he will be there in a few minutes. Low and behold 20 minutes later he arrived, with questions such as "Why are you so late" and "Why did we not call". After being interrogated at 11 pm he informed us that supposedly he was overbooked and had no room for us. He then proceeded to inform us that he will take us to his "buddy" down the road who also had a bed and breakfast of same kind. At that point we had our doubts about anything that this person said and did not want to take our chances as we also feared for our safety. I had, at that point asked for a refund being as there is no room for us and he angrily replied that the reservation is non refundable. He also stated that because it was booked through an on-line booking, it was not his problem. With all this said please do not book this place. Unless you are looking for an adventure this is not what it is described to be at all. Please do not be fooled by 4 1/2 rating...this place does not deserve even 1...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 2funtravel
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
I did not want to write a response to this so called review for it is NOT a review but a bunch of lies and rubbish. Someone in his right mind would not even show up at a B & B at this time of the night without notify the owners! This is crudeness, ignorance, poor upbringing, and poor education.
I complained to Trip advisor because this traveller was not even a guest at Susan’s Villa. Trip advisor makes lots of money for listings from others and us. To print something like this is killing the goose who lays golden eggs. These people do not deserve the part name *advisor*. I certainly do NOT do any advertising at Trip advisor anymore.
In General: Why do some former guests write a bad review? Because they have not the courage talking to the management to have something rectified! Every manager would respond positively to a valid complaint! This is much easier than writing a response to some incompetent hogwash.
This is all I will say to an outrages nonsense like this and the people at Trip advisor probably do not even it although I was advised by them to write this. They said that I have the right to the *last word*. Will see.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Susan and Edwin's bed and breakfast is located in a quiet neighborhood convenient to the falls.Their bed and breakfast reminds me of Old World charm with over sized and overstuffed furniture. Spotlessly clean.The house is set up with two units on the first floor and two units on the second floor. During our entire stay we did not hear any noise coming from the other units. I did comment on day one that our room was hot and Edwin stated he would turn down the air. I think he turned it down from 82 degrees to 80. He stated that if he turned it down lower, it would be too cold for the guest on the lower floor. It was tolerable as long as the air was working. Note - it was hotter outside and so could not open the windows. When the air cycled off there was no circulation in the rooms and they became intolerably hot. Did not sleep well and felt we were in a sauna the first night. When I asked him to leave the blower fan on to keep the air circulating he stated that it was too noisy. He did supply us a fan and because the weather co-operated, we were able to open the windows for the balance of our stay. Our room had a queen size bed and a pull out couch. The other room had a pull out couch and a fold down bed. The suite is rated for 7 people but if you need to sleep more that four in the unit, there is no room to walk around. In my opinion, four maximum. In addition the queen bed was very uncomfortable and sagged in the middle with two people in the bed. The pull out couch offer no support and the foot of the bed was 4 inches higher than the head. It should have been replaced 10 years ago with a standard bed. Lighting was adequate but not for reading. I counted six ceiling light fixtures with one working bulb and one burned out bulb. Susan and Edwin are two very charming and interesting people.Susan and Edwin are German but i believe that Edwin has a touch of Scottish blood.

Room Tip: I read most of the reviews and agree with them. My review is based on comfort. 10 day after trip my...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank wbadore
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
When writing a response I have to be VERY careful. If I write what I would like Trip Advisor will not publish.
My first thought about this one: Ignore. But then: Why should I let someone without much adding skill (see below) ruin my sleep. I try to be as polite as I can
Our first and very bad review in 2010 was from someone from Maryland. This is a bad review (# 20-some anniversary) from someone in Maryland. We have had many people from Maryland. All were very great people.
This wbadore was here with 2 grand children (1 room) and his 300 lbs daughter. The mattress of the queen bed did not like his and the daughters weight very much. Probably some 550 lbs. The mattress did not get hurt, is still in a great condition like all our 4 year old furniture!! Practically all almost new. Actually the five lines in the beginning are very true. Than it gets awkward. Why? Who knows.
The suite has 5 ceiling light fixtures. All were working, still do. He called me in his 1st night at 11:30 p.m. complaining about the TV remote control. Does not work, he said. Will check in the morning, I said. He figured out in the meantime how a remote control works.
The temperature was 70 degrees F, 21 C, naturally the air condition did not start. I still wonder why he did not open a window. (The other 10 people in the house liked everything, the temperature was just right.) Next morning he asked for a fan. We gave him 2 fans. We are generous.
I could go on like this but I said enough I think. I hope that Trip Advisor will publish this which is not as bad as this review.
To all nice people of Maryland: Please come and we will treat you very well! You may able to write a 5 star review!
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed in first floor suite two days. Very nice place all around.

Edwin was quite entertaining and helpful, ESPECIALLY about what to see in our limited time. (Don't miss Niagara-on-the-Lake!)

Easy walk to the Falls, fireworks and downtown.

Only regret was that we had to leave too early on our final day in order to catch the Muskegon MI ferryboat and missed breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Susan-R-Edwin, General Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review.

We hope that you got the ferry boat and everything went well.

Susan and I wish you the BEST for the future.