“Superb hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, UK
“Superb hotel”
Reviewed 25 October 2005

This is a lovely hotel, in a prime location 400 yards from the Falls (but uphill).
We liked:-
1. Good size room with everything in good decorative order and working perfectly
2. All the staff members we spoke to were friendly and helpful
3. We dined at the Casino buffet (right across the street) and although it didn't measure up to the Vegas buffets we have sampled, it was nevertheless excellent value for $23CAD
We didn't like:-
1. Parking at $18 is a bit of a rip-off.
All-in-all, we thought that this was an excellent hotel and we would be happy to recommend it to anyone staying in the area.

5 Thank loseapoint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,352)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Frederick, MD
Reviewed 19 October 2005

The Marriott Fallsview is amazing. The view was the best you can get from any hotel around the fall and the only one worth the money the various fallsview hotels charge. We spoke to several locals during our stay and they all agreed that the Marriott was the best. The food is amazing. We bought a package that included two days of their breakfast buffet -which is a good buffet, but not for the $26 pp we would have been charged if we hadn't had the coupons, there are many other good breakfast spots for much less; and the package included a dinner -all the food was the best I've ever had.

The staff was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and cheery.

We had a delux fallsview room on the 12 floor. The bed was so amazingly comfortable, my husband and I had a hard time leaving it. The tub was also very, very nice. Over-all, the room was a wonderful spot for a romantic getaway or honeymoon.

There was a nice pool and exercise facility too.

If my husband and I were to go again, we would stay here. It was pricey but well worth it. I'm not 100% sure we would stay here with children. We plan to bring the kids in the future, but we might stay at a more budget-friendly hotel so we have more money to spend on other things, and there are nice budget hotels in the area too.

8 Thank April c
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 17 October 2005

I was given a room on the 16th floor facing the falls. What a view! It was awesome.

The room was spacious with 2 large single beds, and a very comfy chair and footrest near to the window. A small window beneath the main large window could be opened, and this allowed the sound of the thunderous falls to be turned on and off at will.

The room was spotless and had various amenities, snacks, minibar, TV, movies on demand, TV internet (but I couldn't get this to work...no matter, I wasn't really bothered, and there was alternative high speed internet access in the lobby). There were plenty of towels replaced daily, and a selection of shampoos, soaps and lotions.

One feature that I really loved was the option of choosing the time that your room was serviced. I chose between 1 pm and 2pm, which meant that I could sleep in the morning without the fear of being disturbed.

I have to mention that view again. It demanded breakfast in bed! I will definitely go back to the Marriott Fallsview one day.

9 Thank Smaug
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 October 2005

We stayed at the Marriott Fallsview. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay for two nights. The view from our 11th floor room was just spectacular.
We were able to see the falls as well as a good bit of the river beyond. We even got to enjoy the rainbow over the falls one evening. We are looking forward to going back.
As a Texan, I must admit I was surprised by how friendly the entire area was. I am used to the "Southern Hospitality" we have here and found upstate New York as well as the Canadians to be very courteous as well.
Great mini vacation!

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2005

NIAGARA IN GENERAL
First off, Niagara is a beautiful place, and if you're going to go, get a hotel from which you can see the falls. That's what we did and I'm sure it wouldn't have been nearly as nice an experience if we had booked a hotel that wasn't in direct view of the falls.

Also, BRING PLENTY OF MONEY FOR FOOD! Do NOT expect to eat "vacation style" (a nice sitdown restaurant) for cheap! The cheapest meal we had, including the hotel, was Outback Steakhouse and that still ran about $25 for a signature salad and an order of ribs....no drinks, appetizers or dessert.....we just picked up and took the food back to the hotel where we had drinks and whatnot. We don't consider Outback to be upscale, but, the prices were still high. We eat TGI Friday's fairly often back home and were floored by the prices up there. $12 for a burger. When it's like $7 here in the states. Wild.

Oh and Canada charges double and triple taxes on everything! There's PST taxes and DST taxes and GDS taxes or something like that. There were 3 charges of taxes/fees on every bill we got up there. BUT you can get the DST (I think that was the one) taxes back when you leave the country. A couple of caveats there....we booked 2 of the 2 night spa packages at the hotel, and they came with breakfast each morning and dinner for 2 nights as well as 1 spa treatment on each package. Because we booked what the Canadian government considers a "tour", we only got back half of the taxes, AND of course it had to be converted to US Dollars and that ended up being less, but it's better than nothing! If we hadn't read Tripadvisor postings we wouldn't have known to even look to get money back.

CLIFTON HILL (tourist area)
We liked the actors wax museum. It was worth the $23 (?). Plus we were the ONLY ones in there because we went down there early and again, it was October, so it wasn't crowded. We liked the luxury of going as slow or fast as we wanted. But we DIDN'T like Ripley's Believe it or Not. We'd been to one in Florida and loved it. This one was LAME! Don't waste your time. We wanted to do the Ripley's 4D Moving Theater, but I'm 4 months pregnant.

My husband was really impressed by the WWF store. It actually was really nice, they've got some interesting things in there. Neither of us was impressed by the game rooms they have.

So about the hotel, we did a million hours of research on different hotels in Niagara and decided on the Marriott. We were not disappointed.

PARKING
Unless you are injured or elderly or have a lot of money to burn, DON'T use the parking at the Marriott. It's $16 a day (US), $20 Canadian to park there. And the cars aren't kept in a garage, they're at an open lot about a half mile from the hotel. One of the bellhops pointed it out to us one day. Instead, take a few minutes to sign up for the free Players Advantage card at the Fallsview Casino. Most postings on here say it's a block from the Hotel, but it's not. It's more like 2 blocks, but it's still a SHORT walk to save $16 a day. We were there for 4 days and didn't need our car once. We dropped it off when we got there that Saturday and picked it up when we checked out the following Wednesday. No problems. No fee to park. AND the Players card gives you covered garage parking, not exposed lot parking.

We were contemplating using the car to go to Clifton Hill (the only place we toured while there), but it's a 5 minute drive, and the hotel has a shuttle, so even though we wouldn't have had to pay anything to get the car and then put it back in the garage, we chose to use the shuttle.

When you check in, you can leave your car in front of the hotel (in the kind of cul de sac covered area at the front of the hotel), take your bags to your room, and then drive the 2 blocks to the Casino and park. It's all very convenient. Plus the casino is gorgeous. Looks like a mall. It has a lot of fantastic stores.

CHECK-IN
We went in October so the tourist season was over and therefore we had no wait to check in. Ok, we had a little wait because we didn't take the room they had for us when we checked in. We booked a Jr. Presidential room on the 8th-16th floors, and the young lady checking us in (who wasn't very nice, but not rude....she seemed to have had a bad headache or something and just wished she wasn't there)...anyway, she said all they had was a room on the 6th floor...there was NOTHING else available.... or we could pay $30 more per night and stay in a Jr. Presidential on the 18th.

While my husband was unpacking the car, I went with a very helpful bellhop to check the view from both rooms and was completely yucked by the 6th floor view. The 18th floor view was magnificent, but oddly enough (and the bellhop pointed this out), the 18th floor room was SLIGHTLY smaller than the 6th floor room. They were both Jr. Presidential suites, but there was a noticeable difference in the sizes. He mentioned that rooms in a particular number bracket were a little smaller, but those in a different number were the slightly larger size.

When we got back to the front desk a different (MUCH nicer) person helped me and pointed out that there were 3 or 4 more Jr. Presidential suites available (interesting since the other lady said there was just the one room on the 6th floor about 10 minutes before that!). But all of the rooms the new guy mentioned were the smaller Jr. Presidential types. The bellhop actually stepped in and suggested that we wait a little while for a room and we could possibly get one on the 8th-16th floors in the larger size. We decided to wait and was given the larger size on the 15th floor. We were happy with our choice.

THE ROOM
The room, though smaller than I expected, was wonderful! The view was amazing and well worth every penny. Again, we rented the Jr. Presidential suite, and from the pictures we really thought it would be larger. It's set up exactly the way it's pictured on their site, but just looks larger online than it does in person. Ah well, live and learn.

Most importantly, it was clean. Yes, there were a few stains that I noticed at a much closer inspection, but all in all that was a very clean and comfortable room. If I hadn't looked so closely and noticed the few "spills" (looked like the room had a few roudy residents and the cleaning folks didn't get it all), then I'd call it a full fledge 4 star room. But since I did see those things, I have to bump it down to a 3 3/4 star room. That and the couple of also small things I saw in the bathroom. There was a couple of small corroded spots that should've been caulked or replaced, one on the shower door and one on the whirlpool faucet. Again, very small, but I notice these things. Oh, and we sleep fairly wildly, and the bedspread came off the mattress. We noticed there were a few rips in the mattress. The mattress itself was clean, but it was indeed ripped.

The bathroom area itself was a very good size. At least the area with the sink and whirlpool bathtub was. The area with the toilet and shower was quite small and I wish they would've taken a small amount of space from the sink area and widened that toilet/shower area. It was just quite small in that section.

But we did really enjoy the room. The fake fireplace was a nice touch. We turned it on for effect and enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL view. And it was quiet. Just a couple of times we heard people in the hall walking by talking a little loudly, but all in all, we hardly noticed anyone else was there but us.

The only thing my husband was bummed about was neither of the 2 TVs in the room had a/v hookups so he could play his xbox. Yes, he takes his xbox everywhere. But the hotel fixed it. They brought up a small/medium size tv on a cart and it had a/v hookups. So he was very happy....he could watch tv AND play xbox at the same time! He was in electronic heaven!

Oh, plus we'd asked for several extra pillows in the room, they were there when we checked in. Very nice service. Plus we asked for extra towels everyday and had no problem getting a bunch. Some hotels have a problem giving you more than your "share" of towels. Not here. They brought up as many as we wanted whenever we asked for them. Their cleaning service staff was wonderful.

Oh, beware of the EXPENSIVE goodies in the room! Yikes! It was like $5 for a bag of M&Ms. Crazy expensive. We'd read on this site that it was the case, so we did what we usually do anyway on long road trips (yes we drove in), we brought a bunch of snacks, water, juice, etc. And boy are we glad we did! The Marriott definitely makes it easy for you to spend money! :) We actually asked the staff to take the alcohol out of the refrigerator so we would have room for our water, etc. Don't bring a LOT of stuff that has to be refrigerated because the fridge is quite small....at least it was in the Jr. Pres suite. Might also want to doublecheck to make sure there are fridges in all room types.

SPA
Serenity Spa by the Falls. AMAZING! Do NOT go to this hotel and miss getting a spa treatment. The treatments are fantastic. I had a regular massage and also a creama body massage. I wanted an aromatherapy massage, but they suggested I didn't get that because some aromatherapy scents aren't good for pregnant women. I'd read that somewhere but wasn't sure. Well they confirmed it. They took excellent care of me. They knew everything to do and not to do for expectant moms. It was great being pampered. They were extremely nice and genuinely interested. GREAT experience. Don't miss it.

ROOM SERVICE
Room service in general was quick. The delivery folks were less than amiable....kind of bothered and seemed to wish they were anyplace but delivering food, but all in all, getting the food wasn't a hassle. Oh, and watch out for the room service charge....20% on top of the already high prices and added triple taxes. Just be prepared!

HOTEL RESTAURANT
The Terrapin Grille. Nice ambiance. Very nice. It was quite a bit smaller than we expected being that the Marriott is a large hotel, but it was nice and comfy. The staff in the restaurant was wonderful! Very nice and accommodating. They all seemed like they wanted you to feel that you were in a 5 star restaurant. And it worked. Excellent.

Again, the food is ridiculously expensive. We had 2 dinner vouchers that came with our room package...$75 each. Didn't cover our meals either time. We paid $50-$60 more each time. And neither of us got alcoholic drinks, appetizers or even dessert. It was just that expensive.

CHECK-OUT
Checkout was quick and easy. We tried checking out on the tv in our room, but there was something wrong with it, so we checked out at the front desk which had no lines.

Our bill wasn't entirely right because of a mixup, but it was taken care of right away. Turns out someone on the Marriott staff used the phone to make a local call before we got into the room and that $1.50 charge (plus applicable double taxes) was on our bill. We know it wasn't a call we made (neither of us used the phone the entire time....didn't even use our cell because Canada's considered international on our plan and it would've cost a mint just to make a call).

Anyway, neither my husband nor I made any calls from the room. The call was made at like 4:55 pm on the day we arrived. We got to the hotel about 4:20, had the issue of picking a room, but didn't actually get into one because the one we decided on had to be cleaned. We left the hotel at about 4:35 to walk around and wait on the room being cleaned. Got back about 5:30 and checked in. So we knew the call wasn't made by us. We thought it funny that someone on their staff tried to get over by making the guest pay for their call. But we were pleased to know that the front desk staff realized the timing and understood that we weren't even in the room to make the call. I guess they "checked us in" when we decided on the room even though we didn't get in it til almost an hour later. Good thing they didn't eat up a bunch of the expensive snacks in the room and try to charge us for that! :)

So, all in all, this was a great choice in hotels. If we go to Niagara again, we'll probably stay here. I did notice that the Embassy Suites may have a better view because it seems to be higher than the Marriott, but I read a couple of not so great reviews about the Embassy, so I'll have to see if they've gotten their stuff together. Otherwise, I know the Marriott is good to go!

24 Thank VirginiaToCanada
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 October 2005

My husband and I stayed the the Marriott Fallsview on the 12th floor, Jr. Presidential Suite. We had the jacuzzi and fireplace. The large sitting room which had the window with the view of the falls was very nice and the view was INCREDIBLE! The bedroom area was also large and the king size bed was very comfortable. Everyone was very friendly.

Our only negative comments are: that for both days, the maid neglected to leave us washcloths/facecloths, there was no "do not disturb sign" which we had to call for and request, the remote for the tv in the sitting room did not work, the AC in the hallways was much too cold and our room key did not work when we first went to our room. However, when we contacted the front desk about these issues, they responded politely and sent someone to fix the problem right away.

We did use the valet parking and had no problems. However, after seeing how close the casino was to the hotel, if we visited again we would probably save the parking fee and park at the casino.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Suffolk, England
Reviewed 4 October 2005

I just cannot rate this hotel enough! Best hotel we've ever stayed in by far. Let me set the scene....we unlock the door, walk into our room, straight ahead is a wall of glass directly in front of which is Niagara falls! How amazing is that?! My partner and I sat open mouthed for about half an hour just staring!

The room was huge and luxurious and the bed was big enough for a family of ten!! The bed is raised up on a dias so you can even see the falls from in bed. It was seriously amazing, choose this hotel and a fallsview room, you won't go wrong!

• Stayed May 2005