“What a View!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Carmarthen, Wales.
“What a View!”
Reviewed 16 September 2006

We stayed at the Marriott Fallsview, Niagara for 3 nights. This hotel definitely has the best view of Niagara falls and has lovely, well equipped rooms.

Possessing excellent amenities, the only downside is the rather costly breakfast. At approx $25 - this equates to £12.50 currently, an excellent all you can eat buffet breakfast is available just across the road at a breakfast eatery at only $6.99 per person.

The Marriott's leisure facilities are very good with decent family leisure pool, two jacuzzis, spa, excellent gym etc

If we were to return to Niagara, I would definitely book us in to the Marriott Fallsview.

• Liked — The View = awesome
  • Disliked — Cost of food
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room on the 10th floor or above
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank caroleum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,296)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2006

After recommendation from this site and my best friend, I chose the Marriott Niagara. On paper the hotel is perfect, directly overlooking the falls, Marriott brand, swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, in-room whirlpool (optional at a cost) etc etc. We were indeed given a good sized room on the 14th floor with a superb view of the Horseshoe falls.

Our expectations were very high for what we paid, and we believe it did not cut it for the price. Check in staff were efficient but not pleasant or overly polite, service was abysmally slow (we twice asked for something & waited over an hour), toiletries did not include bath foam (??!!!), minibar prices ridiculous, the hotel's Niagara tour package price was a rip-off, our room had adjoining door so we heard kids screaming next door, taxi booking a free-for-all and can be a long wait....small things perhaps but together they can spoil your enjoyment.

On the plus side, the pool & gym are good, with sauna & steam room and 2 whirlpools; bed was ultra-comfy; good size breakfast room with great omelette bar; excellent location with footbridge to the incline railway.

Your experience here may be better than ours, but next time we will try somewhere else and sacrifice the view for a better hotel...and almost certainly better price...

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank chris036
Novara, Italy
Reviewed 13 September 2006

What can I say... it was simply wonderful. We were in a room at the 20th floor. The view was gorgeous. When I showed the pictures taken from my room to my friends, they were speechless. I got a free upgrade (i booked a room at 8/16 floor) and we were upgraded upon our arrival at no extra charge. The room itself was spotless and beds were really comfortable. On top of that, I can also add that staff was helpful and kind. When my 9 year daughter felt sick and I had to take her to the local hospital in the middle of the night, the hotel paid for a cab to go and to come back.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank chicca62
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Spent Sept. 4 - 7 at the Marriott in Niagara Falls. Overall we had a great stay. We are a couple with no kids and we found the location perfect. Great views of both waterfalls. Out the back door is a walk way to the tram and casino. Easy walkable distance to Clifton Hill. The hotel provides shuttle service to many locations within Niagara Falls if you do not want to walk. The city provides bus service to tourist attractions outside the city limits if you don't feel like driving.

Apon check in we were upgraded to a room with a fireplace and high level floor. Any room above the 4th floor will have great views. Don't recommend spending the extra money for the fireplace or higher floor. The fireplace is just for looks, does not produce heat and while looking out the window at the falls you are not paying any attention to the fireplace.

We did not use the Spa or pool during our stay. Having a small Starbucks in the lobby is nice but not necessary. There is a Starbucks next store and in a couple of locations in Niagara. There is a small gift store and arcade in the lobby. The lobby bar was OK. My husband enjoys drinking Guiness and they do not serve it. We recommend buying a bottle of wine or beverage of choice at a liquor store and sitting in the comforts of your room enjoying the view. Cheaper and more comfortable.

We do not recommend eating at the hotel restaurant at all.
Very expensive , poor service and poor view of the falls. Breakfast buffet just average for cost. Dinner Veal Parm = $35 USD. Quality of food is not worth it. Recommend going out the back door and next store to the Keg restaurant. Great food, good price, awesome view of the falls. Or go across the street to Cocacapana (Brazilian restaurant). Expensive . $35.00 CDN pp but it is all you can eat buffet and servers come around to your table with choices of meats. (all you can eat as well). For breakfast do not go across the street to Tony Romas. TERRIBLE! There is a pancake house across the street and down a block. Or go into the Casino upstairs to the Famous. Good breakfast and lunches for a good price.

Valet parking is extra. Parking anywhere cost alot. It is a just a matter of choice; parking is cheaper at a parking lot a block or two away. If you come and park your car for your stay and don't use it it may be better to use a parking lot elsewhere. We used our car alot during our stay and found it useful to call a head and have the car ready for us when we got downstairs. If you use Valet parking your car is not parked onsite. Marriott pays to use a parking lot somewhere else. The valet staff was excellent. They were extremely helpful and kind.

There is a tour desk in the lobby as well. They can help you with any questions but do some research prior to your trip and book your own tours or attractions. They will charge extra for them to book it. Plus a lot of the attractions within Niagara you can walk up to and by tickets. Highly recommend purchasing the Niagara park pass. It includes the Maid of Mist, Journey behind the falls , the Butterfly conservatory , White Water walk plus the tram and bus use for one day. If you have a car and want to go on a winery tour drive yourself and stop where you want. The drive is nice and easy and there are many wineries to choose from. Niagara on the lake is a great town to drive to and visit as well.

Overall we had a great stay at the Marriott. The room is very clean, spacious and comfortable. Wonderful views. A safe is provided in the room as well as a mini bar and food for purchase at a high cost. And you can purchase current movies to watch on your TV. Valet staff was very helpful. If there was not other options for restaurants we would of been very disappointed.

We would like to some day go back and visit the Niagara area and we would stay at the Marriott again.

• Liked — The Views and location
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Conroy
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 September 2006

Stayed here the weekend of 8/13/06 in their Junior Presidential Suite.

Pros:

Beautiful room. Laid out well with sitting room, fireplace, two-person whirlpool tub. Excellent view of the falls from the room. Really spectacular.

Cons:

Extra charge for parking ($20 a day). Extra charge for internet access ($20 a day). Who really charges guests for internet access these days, especially when pricing their rooms so high?

Restaurant was just average. Weekend package included coupons for two breakfasts and a dinner, with a total stated value of $185. Unfortunately $110 of that was reserved for the mediocre (at best) breakfast buffet. The 75 remaining dollars only covered about half of our dinner, which was itself pretty bland. You'd be better off eating elsewhere if you stay here.

Bottom line:

Gorgeous room. Unexpected charges. Average meals.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
8 Thank crowe1130
Monroe, MI
Reviewed 5 September 2006

Booked this room for my wifes birthday, expected a 4-5 star hotel, boy was I wrong! Here are some things I disliked:
1. HUGE Crack in the ceiling. Poorly patched, just made it more visible, crack was still there.
2. Couldn't see out the window, not what they showed on the website. One window is what they showed, that was different you seen the middle between the upper/lower couldn't see the falls sitting down.
3. TV was fuzzy on many channels.
4. Booked it said 8th to 16th floor, we were on the 7th.
5. The towel rack was falling off, you could see the yellow plugs from where it had been before they moved it.
6. The showerhead was about to fall off, I had to tighten it before I could take a shower.
7. Around 9am or so the tv kept going from what I wanted to watch, to the checkout procedure for some reason. I kept canceling it, and it would go back again. After a few times it quit but then later when I wanted to check out, the checkout feature wouldn't work. I had to wait in line to checkout after all.
8. The desk had crayons from a previous stay on it (the lower part). Brings up cleanliness concerns with the room as well.
9. Valet parking not only changed the radio station on my radio, but had it cranked up playing rap, a music I can not stand. I don't mind so much they changed it, though I feel they shouldn't change settings in our cars, but there is no excuse for them listening to music so loud in our vehicles!

I wouldn't recommend staying here, there are other places for less that have just as nice of a view.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Everything that was wrong...
  • Tips/Secrets — Book elsewhere you'll be happier if you get a room like I got.
10 Thank HamTim
Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I'm not going to talk about the expense, all the reviews do that. Here are some quick things to know: 1) I always thought Niagara Falls was mostly for couples. Wrong. It has apparently becomea family destination. So if you're looking for a weekend away from the kids, keep that in mind. 2) At first, we got a smoking room (I might have made a mistake there; I don't remember specifying non-smoking); but I called down, and they told us they'd have another room ready in 15 minutes, and they did! Jason at the front desk was very helpful. 3) The new room and the view were great. However, we were in a room with an adjoining door to another room, which had small kids, and the walls were awfully thin, so later on we heard a lot of yelling and screaming. If I was to do it over, I wouid have asked the hotel if they had an area or a floor which was couples only. We usually take our kids everywhere, but for a romantic weekend, it's nice to stay in a relatively quiet room. And since there are fireworks at 10 pm several nights a week, all the kids stay up to watch. 4) the Jacuzzi was huge. 5) we had dinner the first night at the Keg restaurant next door in the Embassy Suites-good dinner, reasonable price; we had dinner the second night at the Skylon Tower-good dinner, out of this world price (but you're paying for the view); at the Skylon, be prepared to wait; it was 15 minutes in the line for the elevator, then 15 minutes once you got to the top. Overall, I expected an excellent room and excellent service, since it's a Marriott, and that was pretty much what we received.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Price
9 Thank Argyle