“So much potential!” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
ON, Canada
“So much potential!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

My family just returned from a weekend at the Marriott Gateway. We won our room through priceline bidding and felt we had paid a fair price for a 4* in Niagara. When I called the hotel to confirm our room, I opted to upgrade to a Superior Fallsview room for a fee, ($20/night - which I felt was reasonable).

Pros:

-All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.
-The wego stops right in front of the hotel.
-The view from the Superior Fallsview room we had was fantastic.
-The pool area was very clean and well attended to, (on both occasions we were at the pool there was someone there cleaning and a fellow even came to check the temperature and chemicals in the hot tub).
-The linens were a good quality and the beds were very comfortable.

Cons:

-The parking fee of $20/night plus tax is steep for outdoor parking.
-There is a charge for wifi.
-The elevator is beyond slow - we had read the reviews prior to our stay and fully anticipated that this would be the case but we didn't expect it to be that bad. There was no way to fully prepare for this.... On the Sunday, we gave ourselves about 25 minutes to catch the elevator and we still ended up missing our bus to Clifton Hill, (which only comes every 40min on Sunday - we had to drive and pay for parking downtown). The frustration was evident among the visitors and staff at the hotel... If you add the time up over a weekend, you're probably wasting an hour or two waiting for the elevator.
-Although rated a four star, the room was far from 4* quality. There were stains on the floor and on the furniture and it did not appear to have been vacuumed. The decor was dated. The bathroom? It was an okay size...but again fairly outdated.

I don't think that we would return to this Marriott unless the elevator system was greatly improved. It is so detrimental to your vacation experience...and the fact that the hotel seems to 'nickel and dime' you for everything on top of it, (parking, wifi, expensive food options).

TIPS:

-Head over to Tony Roma's (next door) for their breakfast buffet. It was a very reasonable price - $28 plus a tip for 2 adults and a child. And the staff were amazing! We picked up to breakfast sandwiches (that were terrible) and a cinnamon roll for $18 at the Starbuck's in the lobby...you definitely get a better bang for your buck next door.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank time_to_relax
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Good Day time_to_relax,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working to rectify the issues with our elevator system to minimize wait times. I apologize for the issues during your stay with the elevators. I also apologize for the cleanliness issues in your guestroom. That is most disappointing when away for a nice getaway.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with a better experience.

Gord Chow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have stayed at this location a number of times. Never had a problem.
Check in was fine we paid for an upgrade. Room was very nice with a very nice view.

Went to Milestone's for dinner service was great. All was well until after dinner.

10:15 PM. We started to hear kids running in the halls. We expect some noise it was March Break. We called the front desk 4 times between 1015-11PM. There were unattended children in the room next to ours. Security finally came but this did not help. Noise continued until 1245AM. A parent did return to yell at the kids. Then left again.

The next morning we went to the front desk. They told us that they had tried to fix the problem.
They said some guests on the floor below were asked to leave overnight. Some parties going on in the hotel that evening.

The desk clerk did not want to discuss our bill. He said they tried to deal with the noise. Clearly they were unable to fix the problem. He did reduce our bill by $40

We left exhausted I emailed the person that replies to these comments on this site Mr. Chow not one word back as of yet.

How it it that we paid good money to be disturbed by a bunch loud un attended children. Front desk unable to deal with loud disruptive guests.

Room Tip: Ask where the hockey teams are and ask for a different floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie J
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Good Day Melanie,

I am sorry that you did not have a more enjoyable stay with us this time. I understand how disappointed you must feel after a night without sleep. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can provide you with a more enjoyable experience.
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Good location and the room had a great fallsview views...if they actually cleaned the windows. I stayed here when it was a Sheraton a couple of times and the windows were always clean! The room was okay, but it really didn't look like it had been updated since Marriott took over. But it was clean, Beds were pretty comfortable and bedding was nice. There was NO heating in the hallways, elevator, lobby --- freezing...don't think about going to the pool and go back to the room in the winter, you will freeze! Since I know what this hotel was like previously in the winter, the only thing I can think is that they were trying to save money by shutting the heat off. And be careful of the packages they offer, yes dinner voucher may be included but you can't use it unless you make reservations way in advance...and the greeter at the milestones was rude, and ignorant when she told us with a little smirk that there was over an hour wait. If it is that busy why would they not tell us , knowing we had the package, when we checked in or offer to book a reservation? You have to choose your floor before you get into the elevator and then it tells you what elevator to take...very confusing for a lot of people - they should have saved the money and heated the hallways. The price was right, the stay was okay...will likely second guess staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cashmra
Good Day Cashmra,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry that we did not provide you with the perfect stay. I apologize for the elevator issues during your stay. We had our elevator company onsite to try to rectify the issues but they were unable to do so at the time. We are continuing to work on this new system so that it is efficient for our guests. I hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I wanted to give this hotel a perfect rating. I really did. The service was wonderful from the front desk, to the restaurant to the bar. Everyone was friendly and helpful and went far and above to make our stay enjoyable. The hotel was clean, our room was comfortable, and the view was spectacular.

I could not however overlook the one drawback. The elevator system is horrible. The average wait was about 10 minutes and the elevators were slow and overcrowded. The hotel should really evaluate if the new system is really a convenience to the users. I say no.

But back to the positive. My husband and I were looking for a quiet retreat for a restful weekend away. Upon checking into our room, we found that we were on a very noisy floor due to a children's hockey tournament in town. One call to the front desk and we were upgraded to the 25th floor with a gorgeous view of the falls. The next morning when we realized that we had forgotten an item in our old room, the bellman brought it to us right away and with a smile on his face.

The breakfast buffet was awesome and with the vouchers for discounts on the buffet and dinner, we felt like our weekend away was a steal. We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charles l
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Good Day Charles,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We apologize for the wait time incurred with the elevators during your stay. I understand how disappointing that would have been, but we are very happy to hear that the rest of your stay was exceptional. I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the Marriot Niagara Falls Gateway on last Thursday evening and booked one of their packages. Provided restaurant credit, transit passes and other add ons to the room. Well worth paying a little extra to get a higher floor and falls view, typically 20-30 more. Parking is $20 extra, but this is pretty much standard across the fallsview region.
THis hotel has a new elevator system which when in the main lobby makes for a long wait 5-10 minutes, but the wait to come back down seems a little more efficient.

2 Thank Mikeandjen2008
Good Day Mikeandjen2008,

Thank you for your comments! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the package that you purchased through the hotel. I hope that we will see you again soon.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Unfortunately, our experience at this Marriott was not a pleasant one. Between problems with the elevators, waiting unnecessarily too long to get a table at dinner and the hefty price we paid for breakfast, its simply not worth it. By the time we arrived at breakfast around 9:30, the buffet was in terrible shape with nothing much to choose from. Seeing the breakfast was open until 11:30 I really expected to see items get replenished. However, this was not the case. What was truly disappointing was at checkout. I was asked how I enjoyed my stay and I said, unfortunately we had a few disappointing incidences. And then that was it, nothing like "oh what happened/what went wrong, sorry to hear that" On a happier note, the young lady who checked us in and the wait staff at dinner and breakfast were very friendly and kind.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank arias8
Good Day arias8,

I am sorry that you did not have a better stay with us. We apologize for the lack of service that you received when you departed from the hotel and that our buffet was not appealing to you. I understand how disappointed you must feel after your stay with us. This is not the standard level of care that we strive to provide to our guests. I hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a perfect stay.
St. Catharines, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

First let me start by saying I'm an avid traveller and local to Niagara. This week I decided that my eight year old daughter could use some time in a pool and that Mom and Dad could use a break from the day to day. Being local to Niagara I have some first hand knowledge of the area so no need to check reviews etc. OOOOOPS!

We arrived at the hotel and check in was very smooth. They had my reservation that I had made (on the way) and we were given keys to our room. There was at this time no valet at the door so I had to wait for about 10 minutes before someone came to take my keys and provide me with a valet claim ticket. (not really a big deal).

Here comes the start of the worst part of my stay. I want to caution anyone reading that this may seem trivial but I can assure you it can ruin your trip. They have an elevator system that is controlled by a computer. When you arrive at the 4 elevators (yes only 4 elevators in a 31 story building) there is a screen where you touch the floor you want to go to. This seems like its an advanced system hence why perhaps they only need four elevators.... But wait... This system is the worst I've ever seen. People all around were freaking out. At first my wife and I looked at each other like "oh god the tourists are being crazy". Sorry but being local to a major tourist attraction like the falls you get a bit cynical around them. Then after we had waited nearly a half hour with my daughter hanging off me "daddy when can I go to the pool".... "Daddy... why isn't the elevator coming"... "daddy... daddy... DADDY". Ok I want to just take a minute to be clear. I'm not exaggerating any of this. Again while it seems like nothing when you're standing in the lobby waiting to get to your room if you will remember this post.

So we get to our room. It was exactly like the pictures showed. The view is amazing. We were on the 22nd floor and had a bi level suite. I immediately went to the curtains (that were mostly drawn) to open them up so that we could enjoy the amazing view of the falls only to find that the curtains were stuck. There was some old system that was kinda hanging (about 15 feet up) that was obviously broken. I tried to manually open the curtains and again no luck. I consider myself a handy person and am a contractor by trade so after about a half hour of jigging the curtains I did manage to get one side to move.

Not to detract from our vacation and now that my daughter was nearly melting down wanting to go to the pool I left the curtain issue and got ready for the pool. We headed back down the hallway and again faced the dreaded computer controlled elevators. At this point I'd like to make note that 4 elevators for a 31 story hotel is crazy and to make it worse only 2 of the elevators went past the 20th floor. So we pushed the button and waited... and waited and waited. Not willing to ruin our vacation I open the door to the stair way and trekked down the 22 story's and headed to the pool.

Now I'm not suggesting I'm in stellar shape (I'm really really not) but I was really happy to hit the hot tub after that. The pool area is kinda small for such a large hotel but at this time it was pretty empty. I'll take a stab at it that this is because everyone else was waiting for the elevator. After some time the pool filled with kids and it was time for us to go. We grabbed the "bath towel" that was provided by the pool only to realize it was only slightly larger than a hand towel. We awkwardly towelled off and left the pool area. You guessed it.... The dreaded elevator. now we are wet... unable to adequately dry off and the waiting game began. They actually have someone directing traffic at the elevators but it doesn't make them move any faster. Legitimately another half hour wait to get onto the most crowded elevator you can imagine.

Its now time for dinner. You guessed it another trip down... another 45 minutes of our trip wasted waiting for an elevator. Now to pause again. I know what you're thinking "why didn't this lazy guy just take the stairs"... I'm on vacation people paying $250 a night plus valet plus all the falls taxes etc... why the hell should I have to take stairs???? Ok back to the story....

So we go to the onsite restaurant. There was a twenty minute wait but that seemed reasonable. We get our table and find the menu for children extremely limited. We ordered and were served some drinks (eventually). No one in this restaurant is in a hurry but neither were we so no big deal. The food comes and I immediately know I'm not going to be happy. I can tell just looking that my steak isn't even close to mid rare... its probably well done to burnt. Sure enough the waiter is gone in a flash before he could be told how poorly cooked my steak is. My daughter takes one bite of her food and declares that she is finished.... my wife tries to make the best of hers and is obviously just choking it down taking generous amounts to drink between bites. After trying two bits and just not being able to do it I spit out the second bite. Ok so the food sucks. I had to go to the bathroom and my wife told the waiter how disgusted I was and that he should come talk to me when I'm back as I was obviously unimpressed. Please consider this is a steak house we went to. The waiter was no where to be found when I arrived back but eventually had to come face the music. He came back and told me they were taking 40% off the food bill for the bad food he mentioned that he had noticed I wasn't enjoying my food. I found that interesting as he never came to discuss it with me or try to make any arrangement to make me happy. To be honest money really wasn't my concern... I would have preferred a new steak.

So we leave and yes wait for the elevator again. We go to sleep and had a good rest in what really was a nice room (except for the partially blocked view which really is what you're paying for in Niagara Falls). The next morning we are faced with the mother load of challenges. After waiting for an elevator for literally 45 minutes I call the front desk from the phone they have in front of the elevators. She tells me that the two elevators that are capable of going past the 20th floor are both broken. That we can wait because a repair man is on the way. Of course at this point we aren't willing to wait. We trek down the 22 flights again and hit the same restaurant for breakfast.

Now again... I know what you're thinking. If I was so unhappy with dinner why go back for breakfast. My answer is this... HOW THE HECK DO YOU SCREW UP BREAKFAST.... Well here's the answer to that. There was a very reasonable selection at the breakfast buffet. Bare in mind the cost is $20 a person. I literally threw up my sausage as it tasted like it was rubber in my mouth. Bacon was good but good lord the eggs and sausage was so disgusting I'm gagging now just thinking about it.

Here we go again... the elevators....

By now most people are up and around trying to manoeuvre through the hotel. Now three elevators are down. The girl directing traffic looks as though she might just walk out the door any second as everyone is all over her about the elevator. I'm perfectly aware she can't do anything personally but I did comment that this is why trip advisor exists and that i'd be posting. Within a minute the manager offers a $40 discount (via the girl directing traffic... believe me the manager is hiding in the back). We learn that other guests are stuck in the elevator ironically on the floor we are staying on. Literally an hour goes by and we finally get on the only elevator working trek up (stopping at every floor) to the 20th so that we only have to walk up the two more floors.

I'm not lying when I say I literally almost just abandoned our belongings and left the hotel rather than be stuck in the lobby or our floor ... lol or potentially the elevator. When the elevator that was stuck finally came down the girl directing traffic asked everyone to step back because she feared how angry these guests were going to be. LOL no doubt!

So now we have our belongings and of course are back at the elevator. We wait and wait and wait.. I call the front desk and they tell me basically tough luck all u can do is wait. So I gather my family and our belongings and start trekking down the stairs. I notice that at every floor there are people waiting for the elevator completely unaware they are broken down and only one is in service that doesn't reach past the 20th. Could the hotel have not put up notices??? People standing there like idiots waiting for nothing to ever happen.

The scene in the stair way was almost humorous. I couldn't help but think we were all lemmings heading down the stairs. So before leaving I stop at the front desk to discuss my feelings with a manager. The person working the front desk offered me free valet for the two days we stayed. As I felt this wasn't adequate I asked to speak to a manager. No manager was willing to come face the wrath of the angry mob so they passed messages through the front desk staff. No manager willing to come forward.

IF YOU ARE A MANAGER READING THIS CONTACT ME... I'LL COME BACK TO DISCUSS IT WITH YOU. I'd like the manager to gather up their family meet me on the top floor so I can watch them get dizzy as they struggle to manage their suitcases as they get some unplanned exercise.

I will be following up and plan to post the details of my future communication for all to see. In the mean time if you're in great shape and love stairs I've got some good news for you... THIS HOTEL HAS LOTS OF THEM!

Sorry guys but an apology from your front desk clerk isn't enough for how much time you wasted. I went to relax in your hotel not to exercise. Management should be ashamed of the way they leave their staff to get crucified by the rightfully angry guests. TISK TISK.

If you took the time to read this lengthy post I hope you will support a customer who got ripped off and move on to one of the other amazing hotels that Niagara has to offer. I'll close with a couple of recommendations other than this place.... The Hilton is very nice (bit more $$$) though... the casino hotel is amazing, the double tree is fabulous and they are all right down the street. The embassy suites is also incredible.

Good luck with your trip. Niagara is a wonderful place just don't get stuck waiting for elevators so long that you miss the beauty and relaxation you're going on this trip for!

Sean Corcoran
Angry Guest!

Room Tip: the 22nd floor has all bi level units. Its pretty cool the bedroom is in a loft upstairs. If you...
10 Thank Sean C
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hello Sean,

I apologize that we did not provide you with a better stay on your night away. I understand how disappointing your experiences were at our hotel. This is not the sort of service or experience that we strive to provide to our guests. We have your email on your reservation, so will be contacting you directly to speak with you regarding your concerns.