“Nickelled and dimed by Marriott”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed for several days for a business conference. We had a view room on the 10th floor, and it was an amazing view! The place was clean and well cared for.
However, it makes me nuts that A: we had to pay extra for parking ($10/day). Even more so, Wifi was an extra $7-10 per day per device. We have a phone and a tablet each, so that's $40 extra each day for the plan that allows streaming. In this age of connectedness, Wifi is expected at any decent hotel. What a load of crap!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank ProfessorPaddle
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello ProfessorPaddle,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful view that the hotel offers to guests of Niagara Falls. We also thank you for your further comments regarding the additional charges. The parking rate that you paid was a reduced rate that was contracted through our sales team, our normal parking fee is $25.00 per night, which is a standard fee in this area of Niagara Falls. We have recently changed the pricing for internet, which has reduced the cost for guests if you are using basic internet. The hotel offers complimentary internet in the hotel lobby and business centre for guests.

I hope we will welcome you back again to the hotel.

Gord Chow

Write a ReviewReviews (3,585)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a room on the 28th floor, it was very large, clean, but internet access from rooms comes at an additional cost (access is free from the lobby). The view on the falls was just perfect. There is a restaurant and bar. Room's style was slightly outdated, but that's a matter of taste.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laurent D
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. I cannot speak for the price because this was a company paid trip and all expenses I incurred were paid for by my company.

PROS:
- Great views and very clean. Rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels/sheets were given. Prompt service.
- Comfortable, short walk to the falls.
- Hotel staff were helpful and quick, always trying to make sure your stay was enjoyable and you felt welcomed.
- Free wifi in lobby and free access to computers and printing services.
- Beds were awesome to sleep in. Rooms were spacious.

CONS:
- The elevators took up to 20 minutes at times! YES TWENTY MINUTES! There was conventions going on and the hotel was fully booked but still this wait was ridiculous. I took the stairs for most of my stay.
- Some vending machines on floors were out of service. Had to walk to other floors to use them.
- Room service was fast but the food was terrible. It was not nearly enough for what I paid ($31 for breakfast!) and the apple juice was about 75% water and 25% juice.
- When I called to order room service they were confused because they said that someone had already checked me out at 9am. This was a mixup at the hotel front desk. They were under the impression that my room was vacant and could not understand why I was in it. The problem was fixed within a few hours though.
- The price of the store and Starbucks was extortionate (I suppose you could say that about any hotel store though).

I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family, and I would definitely stay again. Only recommendation is don't bother with room service!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank robyyynne
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This message goes out to all the Management and Staff of this hotel. I consider myself a very reasonable traveler and realize that it's far from possible to accommodate and make all types of guests happy on a regular basis...I realize that hotel Management can only help in areas that are within their powers and understand when situations arise that are not...I have been reading tons of reviews from all kinds of traveling sites about this hotel and as a loyal member of the Marriott chain i don't mind paying the high price for quality and top shelf service that comes with this brand though what deeply disappoints me to no end is that when more then 85% of travelers complain about the same issues day in and day out and are being nickeled and dimmed for everything in this hotel then something seriously should be done and quickly as a permanent solution. Everyone complains on a daily basis about the elevator problems and with that being true and nothing being able to be done about it then why not just make Valet parking more affordable and why not give all guests free wifi and maybe even throw in a breakfast meal during there stay, after all we are choosing your hotel and paying a premium all around in a facility with many issues. If you were a true Four Diamond hotel with rates of 125.00 a night or less with all these issues then i would have to say to all guests 'Deal With It, though when all guests are paying 200 to 400 a night and not receiving the quality and service we deserve then don't you think it's time to take action in areas that you can give back in, again it maybe to late to add elevators and other things to this property though it's not to late to lower your Valet prices and give free wifi and throw in a free breakfast to guests that after all did choose your property for their vacation enjoyment. I hope this message doesn't get lost under the radar and something is finally done so that all travelers including myself and my family can enjoy your hotel and vacation.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Darren W

Good Day Darren,

I appreciate your comments regarding our hotel and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding this issues with our elevators. We are working to enhance this service and rectify the wait times. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was not impresssed with the casino or the staff at the front desk.

The hotel was cleana nd the room was okay but the view of the roof beside us was not so great.

When I come to Niagara I like to be close to the Casino and the distance was not far but far enough that it was a walk. Another thing is they do not offer a shuttle which put a damper on things and having to take cabs everywhere gets expensive. Also you have to pay for parking which is $25.00 per day. Park at the casino and if you play you park for free so that was a bonus. But I have stayed here twice and I prefer to be closer to the action.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller867
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hello Traveller867,

Thank you for staying with us recently when visiting Niagara Falls. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us in the past. I thank you for your comments regarding internet at the hotel; we do provide complimentary internet in the hotel lobby and business centre for our guests. The hotel does not have a shuttle, however the WeGo bus stops right out front of the hotel, which is very convenient for guests of the hotel.

I hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at the Gateway for 3 nights, July 3-July 6, 2014. The location of this hotel is fantastic; once you park your car you really don't need to take it back out. If you don't want to walk, the bus stops right outside the door of the hotel. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Those are the strong points.

Unfortunately, the service left something to be desired! We requested a falls view room as we are platinum members (even willing to pay for the upgrade), but were told that nothing was available for and to check back...did so everyday, but no. The front desk, regardless of how busy the hotel was, only ever had 1 or 2 people at the desk, so the line-ups were always long. The elevators were so slow and always overcrowded. It was at least a 10 minute or more wait every time you wanted to go up or down. A few times I took the stairs, but we were on the 18th floor and it was mighty warm in the stairwells and the hallways as well. We tried to have a drink in the lobby bar which was another disaster; there were 3 of us and one other couple in the entire bar. We waited patiently while the bartender took the order of the other couple and make their drinks (about 10 minutes). Then he returned to the bar and kept himself busy for another 10 minutes....he looked our way several times, but continued to ignore us! After about a 25 minute wait, we left and walked down the street to another hotel that had a bar and grill and had drinks there. Our room was never cleaned before 2:00 pm the three nights we were there and one day it was not made up until 5:00 pm. Also, it is archaic to still charge for wifi.....get into the present people! We travel frequently and when we are able we always stay at a Marriott, but I think this is the last time at this one.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the falls side. The view is very nice. Better yet...try the other Marriott d...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hello B3achLov3r,

Thank you for staying with and for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. I am sorry that the rest of your experiences left something to be desired. This is not the standard level of service that we strive to provide to our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding the issues. We will share your message appropriately within Marriott.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We ordered our stay through group on and had a good price. But then the mandatory hotel parking price made the deal at par with the regular room price. The valet option was slightly higher and we never dreamed we would have paid for it had it not been a freezing winter day. The wifi also cost money.

Going to Niagara Falls on a budget should not include this hotel.

The facility however is clean, very nice, and rooms have mini fridges. Very standard good marriott experience but with added fees everywhere - (normal for Niagara Falls.)

Stayed: July 2014