“Never again!!!!”

Sheraton on the Falls
Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Possibly one of the most disappointing hotels I've stayed at.
Right from the get go we had problems with Sheraton on the Falls; I booked it through Hotel.ca (com) and the site said no pets allowed, so I called the hotel and they told me that dogs were, in fact, allowed. Good thing for us, but bad thing for the poor people who paid for kennel costs and later, after seeing ours on the elevator, realised that pets were, in fact, allowed. When we finally got there, we parked in the 'registration' area and about 8 or 9 bellboys were just standing around whilst small children, including my own, carried their own bags. The attendant insisted on 'holding' our car keys until we finished registration. Is this standard to hold someone's car keys hostage until you come back after registration? Were they afraid we wanted to just use the tiny and crowded space to park for a while?
Then, we entered the actual hotel and I was not impressed. I expected it to be much more lavish but it was old looking. When we got to the check-in desk they asked me for photo id, which I had but had thrown in the bottom of my bag during the trip. After about 5 minutes of searching, the kids were getting restless and the dog was also. I asked if we could go up and I would be better able to find my id, they refused. So I sat down in the seating area and after another 10 minutes finally found my passport. They then made me stand in line yet again! We finally got up to the room and it was such a disappointment. It was not as lovely as the photos suggested.
Later I was downstairs and was enquiring about the internet, which was $15 plus applicable taxes per day: the man behind the information desk confirmed that if I did charge it to my room the cost would cover any and all computers I had running. But It didn't. I found out later, the hard way, that if you have 3 laptops running in the room then you get charged 3 X $15 plus taxes! I couldn't believe that he lied to me. They also told me that the Shoppers was over an hours walk away...it's not. I wonder if it is like the LA Sheraton where the concierge get cuts from every cab you call.
Back to the room. If one is in the bathroom, then one can hear everything that the people in the next room are saying. Let's just say that I felt the need to run the water loudly whilst using the washroom.
Our phone didn't work.
I specifically told the maid service we didn't need our linens changed: she changed them anyway and gave us linens with what seemed like footprints on them. I'm not joking.
OH, just to let you know...on the hotel website and all the other booking sites the hotel makes it sound like the waterpark is in the hotel...it's not. To me this is very misleading especially since it costs $44 CAD per person once you get there! This is false advertising and I feel down-right duped as I chose the hotel mostly for the waterpark.
The restaurant; the most disappointing restaurant experience in a long time. Applebee's was better than The Fallsview Restaurant. The Fallsview has a buffet, but the only good thing about it was the cakes. We went there for breakfast, then lunch ( I know...shame on me), and dinner. On the weekend I went for breakfast. Only after I was seated and ordered my coffee that they announced that the breakfast was really a brunch and that it was $25! There were no signs or anything indicating that it was brunch at $25. By that time it was 9am and I went to get some pancakes and bacon. It had been replaced with eggs benedict . I was disappointed considering bacon and pancakes are a staple of restaurant breakfasts but I got over it and grabbed some eggs benedict instead. I found what looked like a hair in my eggs benedict. I told the waitress after my initial disgust; they refunded my money. Now I don't suggest you do this purposely because you'll just end up getting more of what you don't want.
When we went for lunch, my child ordered the kid's hamburger, finally after 20 or so minutes the waitress came by to say that the cook hadn't even put it on the grill yet. And asked that my daughter have the buffet. I was angry as the buffet was much more than the hamburger would have been! Not that my daughter isn't worth it, but the point is she wanted a hamburger not the buffet. And it is wrong for a restaurant to refuse a meal to someone and then ask them to order and pay for a meal that is more expensive.
One last thing...look out for the Starbucks downstairs at lobby level. It charges almost $3 for a coffee that would normally be $1. 95 in Toronto. Plus the service is slow and extremely rude.
Again, never again!

2  Thank Lonthego
Write a ReviewReviews (7,407)

Reviewed 15 April 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton on the Falls for a business conference. The property is well run, the people are nice, the food is good and the business services were efficient. The property is a 2 minute walk to a good variety of family restaurants as well as across the street from the US border walkway and bridge.

The property proves that it can manage business travellers and leisure travellers concurrently, which is a good thing in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I loved it, my kids loved it and my wife loved it...that doesn't happen too often. The view of the falls was amazing...the kids loved the waterpark and we were all made to feel welcome and comfortable by the helpful and friendly staff.

Reviewed 14 April 2009

The staff was friendly from the front desk to the maid service. We enjoyed our stay trmendoulsy....

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We took advantage of one of the waterpark packages. Stayed in a fallsview deluxe room with a queen sofa. Room felt a little crowded with 2 adults and 4 children. Room view was excellent on the 18th floor. We arrived on a Wednesday and went to the waterpark on Thursday and Friday. Waterpark is great for the kids if the crowd is reasonable. On Friday (Good Friday), they oversell the hotels and the park in maxed! You can't even find a seat. Don't visit on a busy weekend or you'll wait for the waterpark and elevators! Wait times for elevator 5 minute minimum but often 15 minutes. Take my advice and travel there during the weekdays. Cheaper and no waiting. Location is great for teens because they have plenty to do. Everything is very expensive so bring lots of money or pack your own snacks and sodas for the hotel room. Hotel pool is very small.

3  Thank boberly
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We just returned from Sheraton on the Falls. The trip was supposed to last longer, but honestly there was not a whole lot to do that was really worth the money. The hotel staff was not the friendliest except for the cleaning staff. Nothing was the way it was supposed to be when the reservations were made ahead of time. They happily took my American $ (I paid in full upon arrival) only to attempt to charge the breakfast buffet to my room, (it was already paid for) as well as everything else they could think of to try and rip us off. In the end, I lost $ due to the exchange rate. On a positive note, the view was beautiful, the falls were heavenly to look at, the Skyon Tower was a super treat! But, I am sad to say, the rest of the "town" was so hokey I felt like I was on the boardwalk in a cheap shore town. Do not expect great service, everyone seemed annoyed who worked the desk, although the parking attendants were very happy! We cut the trip short and decided our next trip would be an all inclusive where we couldn't get nickled and dimed to death. I have to say that after reading many of these reviews I was very surprised to read so many outstanding reviews. This hotel was an average hotel in a hokey town that just happens to have one of the most amazing natural sights in the world!

1  Thank reallyhonest
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The front desk staff made my buddies bachelor party a very fun evening. They were completing accomodating and understood our reason for booking at the hotel.

The rooms were very clean and the view of the falls is amazing. The location of the hotel makes it a must stay for any new visitors to Niagara Falls. Everything is in walking distance including both casinos.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning on a family or fun filled few days.

The prices always get better the more nights you stay to by the way.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends