“Nice hotel, but difficult to find your way around.”

Ramada Plaza Niagara Falls
Ranked #72 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Let me start by saying the room (2 queens) was nice and the beds were comfortable. Others have commented on parking availability but I had no problem finding a convenient parking stall over 3 days. Access to the falls is convenient; less than 5 minute drive.

What wasn't so good:
$12/day to park. This makes sense closer to the falls but this was a rip-off.
$5/day facility fee. I asked what this was for and was told it's for things like WiFi. Keep in mind that Ontario has a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) that gets tacked on to things like hotel parking and room charges. Online I was quoted $56.79/night for the room. Even with the extra $12 for parking, at $69/night this was still reasonable for Niagara Falls. However, by the time they tack on all the fees my rate had gone from $56.79/night to $85+. Still cheaper than the big hotels near the water, which would also have all these fees as well, but be aware there are a lot of extra fees.
The WiFi was horrible and certainly not something they should count in their Facility Fee. It dropped out constantly or was painfully slow. I reported it twice but it never got better.
The hotel is basically 2 units; one newer, one older. There is a walkway over the street connecting them, however they don't give you a map and things like ice machines are difficult to find and not on every floor. The nearest one to us was at the other end of the building and one floor up and it didn't work. I reported it twice and it was never flagged as out of order and never repaired. Guess that's the price you pay for staying in the cheap side.
Since there are 2 entrances large groups were often unloaded at the "cheap side" entrance and left to fend for themselves. I helped direct so many people to their rooms one night I felt the hotel should be paying me.
There was some minor mold and peeling paint in our bathroom.

Room Tip: Be careful what room you get. The road that runs between the two wings of the hotel may not look too...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RamadaPlaza_10, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hello Douglas, thank you for the review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and had no problem with the location or parking! I am sorry if your found our $12 parking fee to be a bit much for our location, however to find parking closer to the Falls would be around $20.00 with a time limit on your stay. I am also sorry that you had troubles with our WIFI. The issue was noted during your stay, and has been resolved. We have ice machines located on every other floor of the hotel, and we do have maps of our hotel layout at the front desk, I am sorry that our front desk agents did not give you one or explain the hotel layout in better detail. We would like the opportunity to show you the perfect stay and the standard we uphold here at the Ramada Plaza, so to book your next stay please contact the General Manager, Alan, at a.mccauley@ramadaplazaniagara.com. Thank you and we hope to have you stay with us again soon on your future travels to Niagara Falls!

There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Niagara Falls

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We've stayed at various Ramada hotels many times and were pleased but this was very likely our last time. The room was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. The hotel is a 5 min drive to all of the falls area attractions and is near many dining places. That's where the good ends.

We checked out at 10:30am and I accidentally left my som's brand new iPod on top of the mini fridge while it was charging. We had been charging all of our devices before the next leg of our road-trip (5 hr long trip to Lake Placid) and his was the last item to charge. The housekeeper was only 2 doors away in the hallway. We realized that several hours later and contacted the staff immediately. We described the iPod and it's protective case, the exact location it was left charging and everything we could think of. All we got was a cold "we'll transfer you to Housekeeping" and "nothing has been turned in to lost and found". It was so dismissive. Really? My son had just received the iPod a month before for his 9th birthday. He was DEVASTATED and was sobbing in the lobby. We called almost hourly and have been calling daily since. We've been blown off and they've done or said nothing else. No mention of talking with the housekeeper or anything of that sort. If you have dishonest staff, that needs to be handled promptly. I'm saddened, disappointed and disgusted. I will definitely be following up with Corporate upon my return home.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations of the hotel. With regards to your sons ipod, we have followed up with the housekeeper that cleaned your room after your stay. Please contact the Assistant General Manager, Laurie Salter at laurie.salter@ramadaplazaniagara.com or 905-356-6116 X 154 to discuss this matter. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Before I begin, let me start off by saying the room and hotel itself was very clean and decent. The Starbucks downstairs was very convenient, but expensive. The hotel has two buildings which are connected by a glass hallway. We stayed in the second building, which is detached from the main office and lobby.

When we arrived it was around midnight to 1 AM, after a 9 hour car drive. Upon arrival we were told that our debit card had been rejected, and that we would have to pay in CASH for the room that night along with a $100 deposit. We had NO warning in advance for this, and we booked our hotel room 5 months earlier. The clerks working the front desk at night were not helpful AT ALL, were very rude and inconsiderate.

The next night, when we returned to pay for our room again, we learned that we would have to pay an extra $10 for "Incidentals", which includes our Wi-Fi, which is SUPPOSED TO BE FREE.

Overall, the room, pool, and hotel itself was nice. The clerks, policy, and "hidden" fees were not. BEWARE if you book online and are an AMERICAN. Make SURE YOU CONTACT YOUR BANK OR THE PAYMENT MAY NOT GO THROUGH.

Room Tip: Stay in the building opposite the main lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Mary Grace, Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we love to hear back from our guests! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay at the hotel, the pools and your room! Our suites are extremely nice, and spacious! However, I am terribly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, and that you found our staff to be unhelpful and rude. That is not the standard we uphold here at the Ramada Plaza and is completely unacceptable. Please accept my personal apology and I will pass this along to the Manager to be addressed. We have a $4.99 facility fee which gives you access to all the amenities of the hotel, including the WIFI. We do have our $4.99 facility fee and $12 parking fee listed on our website and all third party websites. As well, we have all guests initial next to these prices on their registration card at the time of check in. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the General Manager, Alan, at a.mccauley@ramadaplazaniagara.com. I’d like to thank you again for writing us a review and we hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked this hotel for a one night stay through another site, and subsequently found a cheaper deal on Ramada's on site and rebooked. Although we cancelled the first reservation and received confirmation, when we arrived we had two bookings.

They were nice enough about that, and about changing the room when our first non-smoking room smelled of cigarettes and was filled with little flies, but in the morning we found little worms/grubs in the second room.

At checkout they insisted on charging the higher rate, and ultimately advised us that we would be charged the lower rate...but then the credit card bill came and we found we were just billed twice.

This is definitely not a place or even a chain I plan on returning to

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
RamadaPlaza_10, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello Xiaoyi, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay, and I do apologize for the poor service that you received. This is not the quality of our hotel that we have promised to provide and I assure you that this has been passed on to the right department to be looked after. There is no excuse that our hotel did not meet your standards during your stay. Please contact the General Manager, Alan, at A.mccauley@ramadaplazaniagara.com to discuss the events of your stay. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Decent hotel, rooms are very nice and clean in the MAIN building.
We were first assigned to a room in the older part of the hotel, room was clean
but very creepy in that section. Only a few other people were staying in that whole
other wing of the hotel, so we asked to be moved into the main building the next day. The young lady and young gentleman at the desk were very nice and had us moved. This hotel is a short drive to everything. PLEASE be advised the rate you are quoted is without taxes and fees, and parking fees. With the addition of these ,your quoted rate will be around $28-$30 more EACH night. If you have never visited in the Niagara area before, dining is VERY expensive . A simple breakfast for 2 at IHOP was $40. Niagara Falls is a beautiful place to visit, and everyone is extremely nice, just be advised that you will spend a good amount of money.
nice

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank dszmit

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review Dszmit. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you liked the hotel rooms! They are very spacious and comfortable rooms with great amenities! I am also happy to hear that our front desk staff could be very accommodating in your room change as we want every guest to be 100% happy during their stay! The price quoted for the room is before taxes and fees. It is very rare you will see a price in Ontario that includes tax. Also, we like to keep our fees separate from the room rate so that way our guests know exactly what they are paying for. We have a $12 parking fee and a $4.99 facility fee. I am glad that you found Niagara Falls to be such a beautiful place and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon! Thank you!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visited Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada for two days for my sister’s birthday. We had read the reviews and was very scare that some of the bad reviews were true but we received a nice king bed room in the main building. We had connected rooms. We arrived on July 4, 2014 early in the afternoon before check in time at 4 pm and we could not check in because the rooms were not clean which we were ok with. The check in was fast because of the time we arrived but when we came back to get our keys to the rooms, they had a line and the check in area is very small and people were standing in long lines. While we were waiting on the rooms, we ordered from the restaurant at the hotel Don Cherry Restaurant. They had a special on the wings. The waitresses were very nice. The food was good and then we walked across the street to the outlet mall and shop until our rooms were ready. I called housekeeper for some more towels at 4:30pm, I waited until I went to sleep. When I woke up, I noticed that I still did not have towels in the room so I called housekeeper again and this time Frank answered the phone and I told him that I ordered some towels 4 hours ago and he said “you are just follow up with it” and I said yes because I was sleep all this time. Like I said the rooms were clean until I took a shower and saw spiders hanging from the vent in the ceiling. The vents had all kind of dust in the vents. I almost walk into the spider web. I love the Bed but they can disconnect the TV and put a picture on the wall in it space. They need to upgrade the clock/cd player because it was not working.
When I was leaving out for the day, I stop at the front desk and told the check in clerk about the spiders and she had the housekeeper to clean the vents. The check out was fast except for the parking fee they add to my bill after I told them before check in that I did not have a car. They also charge all those fees and we only use the hotel for sleeping and showering.

Room Tip: Please check the bathrooms for spiders and dust in the ceiling vents. if you do not have a car ple...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the review. It sounds like you had a great stay for your Sisters birthday! I am sorry that you experienced a wait time while waiting for the keys to your room but its good to hear that you used that wait time to order some chicken wings! Don Cherry’s has the BEST wings! And the 2 for 1 deal is great! Having the outlet mall directly across the street is an added bonus! I am sorry that you did not get the towels delivered to the room in a timely manner as that is not the standard we uphold here at the Ramada Plaza and this issue will be addressed immediately. I will also pass your comments along to the proper departments and managers as we love hearing from our guests with any suggestions they have! I’d like to personally thank you again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights with the family. Hotel was clean and good value for the money. Location was good, good shopping across street, and restaurants within walking distance. The young barista (blonde) at the Starbucks kiosk was great. Very friendly, and knew product. Not a full service Starbucks, but has what you need. Will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RamadaPlaza_10, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for the review! I am happy to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us and that the girl at Starbucks could be of such great service! They take great pride in the work they do and always make an excellent cup of coffee! We are in an excellent location for shopping with the outlet mall directly across the street, and many different restaurants close to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon on your next trip to Niagara Falls!