AVOID the second floor (east side) as it had a musty smell to it (old smoke perhaps)?!
We used Tripadvisor to decide on the Hampton Inn hotel and we were pleased with the outcome. We wanted to use the Falls View Water Park and wanted to take advantage of the water park package. The Skyline Hotel scared us off because of claims of bugs on a Tripadvisor review. The Sheraton was simply overpriced. So the more information you research the better. I should point out to couples that because of the Hamptons proximity to the Water Park there may be alot of kids in this hotel. Noise in the hallways was not an issue during our stay.
We looked into various hotels around Niagara and chose the Hampton Inn because of:
1. Location to Water Park and falls.
2. (Recent) good reviews from previous Hampton customers and
3. Reasonable price based on the Water park package deal.
4. Free parking was a bonus but in reality you’re probably paying for it in your hotel price.
5. Breakfast included.
The fact that it says by Hilton after their name does not tell me much but based on the Hilton reputation I expected a clean hotel if anything.
My first impression of the hotel lobby was that it was clean, so far so good. The front desk staff were friendly, good again. We were given a room on the 2nd floor.
We went to the 2nd floor and in the hall we immediately noticed a distinct odour like old cigarette smoke...musty. We entered our room and the smell was still there. I was annoyed to come across this smell after just arriving but kept my head on. I went to the front desk and explained the situation and asked if it was possible to stick my head in another room to see if the odour was there as well. The young girl did not hesitate and with a smile and an apology gave me key cards to another room on the 3rd floor. It was like night and day and we changed rooms. This hotel as all hotels are now all smoke free (as far as I know) and this could have been odour from years past but then again the carpet looked reasonably new so the odour remains a mystery.
The new room was clean and everything appeared fine. With all the talk about bed bugs I even checked under the mattress to the amusement of my family but what the hell, thats me! Everything was fine by the way. The air conditioning / heater was noisy at night for sleeping but it appears that I was the only one to notice. The unit was not broken but the blowers on these older units tend to be on the noisy side.
BREAKFAST 6:00 -10:30
My wife and I took advantage of the breakfast the following morning. Now, keep in mind that this hotel does NOT have a dining room but it is more of a terrace with metal chairs and tables used strickly for breakfast. There are no metal knives, forks or spoons, there are no china plates or cups or glasses. Paper plates, plastic knives and forks and spoons and Styrofoam coffee cups are the mainstream here. Also, this is not a sit down breakfast but a help yourself breakfast. The reason I point this out is because picky people ( like my wife ) might be disappointed by this lack of immenities. This is not a big issue as the important thing is the included breakfast itself. First there was lots of coffee and tea, plus cranberry and orange juice. Cereals, muffins and pastries. Egg consisted of something similar to an egg mcmuffin. Tasted fine to me. Waffles, and fruit including bananas, apples, oranges. The staff was always clearing the tables and replenishing the food. Also keep in mind that if the hotel is busy you might want to get downstairs early due to crowds. It was a bit crowded at 9:30 with breakfast ending at 10:30. Otherwise there are restaurants just down the street if you prefer.
Check out was at 3:00pm but we were told that we could leave our car in their lot for the day to check out the falls etc. Make sure that you leave the parking ticket in your car window.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clifton Victoria Inn At The Falls located on the Falls Avenue Resort, is within a block of Niagara Falls and the Clifton Hill tourist district. The hotel also sits directly across from Casino Niagara and the Fallsview Indoor Waterpark. The Clifton Victoria Inn has long been a family favorite thanks to exceptional complimentary services and amenities, such as complimentary hot/cold breakfast buffet, 100% smoke free facilities, free wireless internet access and free on-site parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Clifton Victoria Inn at the Falls reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn By Hilton At The Falls Hotel Niagara Falls
- Hampton Inn Niagara Falls
- Hampton Inn At The Falls
- Niagara Falls Hampton Inn