“Close to the Falls, but away from the comotion”

Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Schaumburg, IL
“Close to the Falls, but away from the comotion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed two nights here with my family on a trip to see Niagara Falls. We were very happy with the hotel.

The location is just north of the touristy downtown area of Niagara Falls on River Road. There is really nothing much else around it as far as tourist attractions or restaurants, but that's what we liked about it. Niagara Falls is so crowded and loud, this hotel was only a few minutes away but it made all the difference. Quiet area, free parking, no crowds.

The hotel overlooks the Niagara River Gorge downstream from the falls. We could see New York from our window and were close enough to the US to still get a reliable US cell phone signal in our room.

Rooms were clean and quiet, despite the hotel being full with a couple tour groups. Staff was helpful and friendly.

The morning breakfast was a mixed bag. The crowds were enormous and that made finding a table either difficult or impossible. The food selection was not the greatest, but not terrible. Standard continental breakfast food, plus make-your-own-waffles and a pot of runny oatmeal. I do have to give a lot of credit to the staff, though. With the large crowds, food was flying off the shelves. The staff stayed up with the demand and were constantly restocking everything. Fruit, yogurt, and donuts seemed to run out fast and within a couple minutes they were bringing out more.

No problems with the room. Everything was clean and worked well. My only small complaint would be a very limited selection of television channels. I think this is the first Canadian hotel I've been to that didn't carry Much Music! No kids channels for the children, either. Also no Fahrenheit option on the digital thermostat, so I had to do some calculations to figure out what to set the temperature to. Again, very small inconvenience.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. Being close to the falls yet out of the downtown area was outstanding. We would certainly consider staying here again.

3 Thank KJUW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
Longueuil, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Good place to save a few dollars compared to the higher end hotels in Niagara Falls. Free breakfast saves money too. I think it is the only reason to stay there. If you don't plan to spend much time in the room and need a re;relatively cheaper place to stay this is good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank Stephane P
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very Good for the value and services received at this price. Nice and clean hotel with good size room and amenities that's just right. Reasonable distance to the Fall and all other attractions in the area with free parking at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Alex C
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I usually tell the desk staff my name for an easy check-in, but this is the first time in all my stays at Hampton Inn, that I have to show my reservation confirmation. I was shocked that my estimated bill was almost twice my reservation receipt as I checked-in. After showing my confirmation, they reverted back to the original reservation price. When I asked them why the discrepancy in price they told me that the reservation online is different when you reserve by the phone. What bugs me is that they have my reservation information except the price. Internet was really slow, around 45-300 kbps.

1 Thank rembcon
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

For the price of a motel within walking distance to the falls, we decided to stay a little farther away and upgrade our room to a jacuzzi suite at the Hampton. I typically really like Hampton Inns because of free parking and free breakfast and the super comfortable beds.
The hotel is a little worn, but very clean. Sure it was busy, but hey...it's summer in a tourist destination, what do you expect?

Check in was fast,efficient and very friendly which was very welcome after a horrible experience we had at a different Hampton the night before. Even when our key card stopped working the guy at the front desk came up to our room to make sure that the new key worked. Most places would hand you another key and let you go find out if it worked...and they had cookies at the front desk. A nice touch for sure.

Our room was spacious, had a good view of the gorge, the Buddhist temple and the line for the boardwalk attraction.
It was nice and clean even though it's starting to show wear.
The bed was just what I come to expect from a Hampton...comfortable!
The heart shaped jacuzzi was a welcome retreat after a long day walking around.
Air conditioning worked great. TV was great.
Shower was tiny for a big guy like me. I almost had to get out to turn around. A trade off of having a Jacuzzi no doubt.
If there's one suggestion I could make, it would be nice for a Jacuzzi room to have robes.

Breakfast was typical for almost all hotels that offer a free breakfast. Waffle maker, some sort of scrambled egg product, bacon,cereals,juice,coffee ,tea,fruit salad, oatmeal, breads and pastries.
Not gourmet, but enough to get you going without spending $40 at a Denny's.

Ample parking even though the hotel was busy.

The real plus here for me was every interaction with staff was pleasant and friendly. They really make you feel welcome. My wife and I left there and we both commented on how we've become accustomed to being treated like we were bothering hotel staff and how refreshing it was to find a hotel that new what customer service was about.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel was just down the road on the fallsview walkway. It was clean, quiet, safe and the air worked well. It is less than a miles walk to the main tourist area but buses run by every 10-15 minutes also which is very convenient. Our room had a gorgeous view of the Buddhist Temple next door. Very peaceful.

1 Thank Celeste E
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very crowded, there is zero wireless internet access despite what they claim, if you have any business or pleasure that requires internet do yourself a favor and stay away, the heat was stuck on in the hallway [it's August] to our room for 3 days and it was dreadfully hot, they did nothing about it the whole time we were there. Staff gave us the phone # to AT&T and told us to call about the slow to non-existent wireless service. Breakfast was awful - frozen eggs, poor food quality, you only get what they put out and that stinks. Rooms were clean, location is OK only because it is on the bus line - otherwise, not great. Would never stay again. Stay at the Doubletree [another Hilton property].

2 Thank Whynot24