2,804 results
All reviewsbaskin robbinsclifton hillpizza hutbalcony roomheart shaped jacuzzifront desk staffoutdoor poolbeds were comfortablelong weekendper dayparking lotskylon towermini fridgehojodennysfallsattractions
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We booked a room at Howard Johnson's Victoria Ave. Niagara Falls Canada for 5/20/08. We used my debit card to secure the room and told them we would be paying cash. We arrived early on the 20th and were told check in was at 4:00. When we booked we were told 3:00. It was a beautiful day so we toured and shopped. We went back at 3:00 and they were checking in guests. When she ran my debit card she informed me it was declined. It was not a shock to me as I hardly use the card. I told her we would be paying cash and she then informed me we needed another $100 + dollars. I told her we would pay immediately and she could check the room before we left. That was not good enough. She suggusted I call someone with a card and other odd suggestions. This went on for about 20 minutes. They were rude and could care less. We left and the next hotel took our cash with no problem. We had a better room for less money. With the economy in its present state, I can't understand why Hojo's thinks credit is better than cash. Even if I used credit, I would never stay at Hojo's with their attitude. We have stayed in Niagara Falls many many times and this is by far the worst treatment we ever had!!!! Stay away from Hojo"s!!!!

2  Thank MAMASTATS
HJ Manager, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2008

Thank you for taking the time to note your concerns regarding you recent reservation at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. In resoponse to you commentary of the check in time our guaranteed check in time is 4 pm; however if the rooms are ready in advance we do try to accomodate the guest by checking them in earlier where possible. You may have been advised to check back on availability around 3 pm. When booking a reservation with the Hotel you are required to give a credit card as the guarantee of the reservation and incidentals As you mentioned the your card was declined and therefore another form of payment was required to cover the charges. The security deposit is required under hotel policy to cover against damages and incidental charges. It is returned upon check out if everything is in good standing and there are no other charges pending. It is difficult to recoup those charges after the fact if no form of guarantee is provided. Many Hotels require this form of security in advance before allowing the guest access to the room, if you were able to find an establishment the would forego the deposit you are fortunate. The Hotel is most willing to accept either form of payment or a combination providing the guidelines for that form of payment are fulfilled. I am sorry that you feel you have been done an injustice but the Hotel policies are set and expected to be maintained by all staff members. If the agents were perceived as rude I do apologize that is certainly not their place or their intention. While we would like to have you stay with us the staff cannot ignore set policies. Thank you for noting your issues and we will convey your concerns to the ownership.

Reviewed 19 May 2008

If you are traveling with pets, this is one of the few places you can stay in Niagara Falls. Even fewer hotels accept cats than small dogs (we had a cat).

This is an average budget-priced motel, but being in Canada, the staff is remarkably friendly and helpful, at least this is how it appears to US travelers accustomed to brusque treatment at US hotels. We had to sign an extensive release form in which we agreed to keep our neutered male cat in a carrier whenever we were not in the room. Of course, we did not do this (we stayed five nights), and no one seemed to care. It seems an unreasonable request. This restriction on freedom only applies to neutered male cats (they won't accept males that are not fixed). The best approach with pets, we believe, is to always keep the Do Not Disturb sign in place and interact with the housekeeping staff each day to get new linens and supplies. That way no one has to worry about your pet in the room.

The hotel is in the seedier part of Niagara Falls Ontario (near Clifton Hill and it's plethora of haunted houses/wax museums) rather than the newer, more tasteful Fallsview area. But the hotel is clean and neat. Nothing special, but adequate and no unpleasant surprises. Like everyplace in Niagara Falls, they charge for everything they can. We had to pay to have a pet, pay daily to park, pay to have a second child in the room (these 3 fees added $28 per day to our room). The hotel didn't actually charge us all of these charges, though at the time of the reservation they said they would (they omitted the extra person charge). My kids (14 and 11) liked the pool and the little slide it had. They wanted to visit it every day. Denny's next door is a Denny's. The hot tub was out of order when we visited.

We had a very pleasant five day stay, but if I were traveling without our cat, I would have stayed over in Fallsview area. This is a great place with pets, however.

1  Thank Ooglethorpe
Reviewed 18 May 2008

The hotel sfaff was great; very kind and helpful. They allowed us an early check in and store our baggage until our room was available. The honeymoon suite was very clean and the King bed was soo comfy. The heart shaped jacuzzi was wonderful but took about 20 minutes to fill up. The only problems we had were the toilet clogging and flooding immediately all over the floor and our TV remote didn't work. We had a maintenance person fix the toilet but the water was just left all over the floor. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 May 2008

Wow... I have to say what a dissapointing stay I had at the hotel. I won't even get into all the problems I had but I will say this. My husband and I hadn't been on a trip in over a year and a half. We have 2 young children and this was suppose to be a relaxing stay. It wasn't even close. We were so dissapointed with our stay I wrote HOJO by the falls when we got home. I never even got a responce. That is so disrespectful!! Even if you don't agree with what I ad to say you should respond to a customers comments. I would not reccomend anyone stay there. At all. For any occation!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We appreciate you taking the time to advise the management of your concerns regarding a response. Management does take guest commentary very seriously and tries to respond to inquiries where possible when we receive them. If we have missed your commentary we do apologize we have no desire to be disrespectful of your input. If you wish you can contact the Hotel directly and ask to speak with the Hotel manager and I would be happy to address your concerns directly. Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and input.

Reviewed 6 May 2008

I booked family and friends to stay at the Howard Johnston Hotel for our wedding. The experience was terrible. The hydro was off and on for hours during the Saturday of their stay, which ment family/friends had to have cold showers and get dressed for our wedding in the dark. But, to top it off, the elevator, which we find out after they have been having problems with, gets stuck between floors with our photographer in it for 45 minutes, which makes her miss the ceremony. To both of these problems we are told, to bad for any type of compensation. All of our guests for the wedding felt they were treated by this hotel with great disrespect, when they are told Howard Johnston is not at fault for what occurred. What type of hotel doesn't fix or replace an elevator known to frequently brake down!!
Also, you get charged $8.00/day to park your car on their hotel lot, and the meal vouchers you receive with a package stay do not come anywhere near covering the cost of your meals. I would definately not recommmend or stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank knurse98
HJ Manager, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2008

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that your day was spoiled by the events of the day. It is true that the power did go out between 1pm and 3pm and did affect our systems, as it did with numerous other properties in the area that are on the same power grid. With the electronic systems offline it did affect operations for the water, elevator and lighting systems. The elevator did shut down due to an overloading of the car as noted by the technician called to reset the elevator, we did get everyone out safely. It is unfortunate that your photographer was amongst the individuals in the elevator car. I am sorry that you feel you have been disrespected, certainly that was not our intent. You are correct that some things are within our control and some are not, and these events were not. We did take the time to try and discuss the issues with you when you were here, unfortunately you were upset at the time regarding the events. Once again I extend my apologies that you felt you were inconvenienced on your special day.