“Ants...... :(”
Review of The Peninsula Inn

The Peninsula Inn
Ranked #12 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a 3 star mystery hotel near Fallsview. I was disappointed when I completed my booking and found this to be the hotel. It was really far from the falls, and had some pretty bed reviews on here.
When we arrived, though it was pretty far from everything, it appeared to be a decent looking place. The lobby looked like it was recently updated, the pool area looked clean (we never went there though) and the front desk staff were friendly. I did notice a weird smell throughout.
We got our room key (235) and went to get settled in. When we got in our room I was happy that it was tolerable. The weird smell was still lurking though. The beds looked decent and there were clean duvets on the beds as opposed to itchy blankets. We turned the tv on and the channel selection was not the greatest. Our remote did not work too well either. As previous reviews had mentioned there is no wifi. Though this may not be a big deal to some people to me, it was upsetting. With a poor selection of tv channels it would have been nice to watch some Netflix on my iPad to kill some time in between excursions and in the evening.
Now to the ANTS. We went to bed on our first night and I left some iced tea in an open bottle and some fruit on a plate on the night stand. I didn't think too much of this as I have done similar things in other hotels without a problem. Well, this time it was a problem. I woke up to a few ants on the sheets of the bed. I was still waking up and was thinking it was pretty gross but wasn't horrified. This changed in about 3 seconds when I came to my senses and got up to investigate. I looked at the nightstand and there must have been 300 ants crawling all over the place. The strawberry was unrecognizable and the bottle of iced tea was coated. I immediately went to the front desk to get this corrected. They gave me a new room, but didn't seemed to phased by this which leads me to believe it is a common occurrence. I would have appreciated a heartfelt apology or an offer of an upgrade or something. Nothing of the sort was mentioned.
Our new room appeared to be ant free. We had no other problems except for the weird lingering odour that I now believe was a combination of ant repellant and air freshener.
As soon as I booked the mystery offer on Travelocity I regretted it. I wish I had booked something closer to the falls that had better reviews. I will not be going that route ever again. Thankfully it was inexpensive and only 2 nights.
This hotel would have tolerable if it weren't for the ants. Yuck, I still cringe thinking about it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andyk1977
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Inn

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The pictures on their site are VERY misleading...at most this hotel should cost $29.99....it is stuck in the 70's, the TV is almost smaller than my computer screen, marks, scuffs and dents in the walls, WIFI???? what WIFI.....WOW...HOT MESS

Room Tip: The little chapel out the back is adorable, but hopefully no newlyweds are forced to stay here...EVE...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ssheridan2014
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very nice lobby area. Price was great but we saw many hotels of much better quality advertising the same or lower rates than what we paid through hotwire.
The room has no wifi. The television was of very poor quality with very few watchable channels.
We were told ice machines were on the 2nd and 4th floor by the front desk staff but the 4th floor ice machine did not work and the 2nd floor machine didn't even exist. However there was a hole where the machine should have been. When we questioned front desk staff about it he acted surprised......no machine how odd. It was quite obvious he was lying about knowing there was no ice at all. The room was clean but the rusted lamps and yellow stained lamp shades should be removed entirely. The windows do not open and the room gets extremely dry. As experienced by myself and my husband. And we both woke on each morning of our stay with aching backs. We definitely would never knowingly choose this hotel again. Yes the price is good but at this time of year they are all a great price because the hotels are empty. Choose wisely. Niagara offers lots of choice. We stayed FEB. 7th to 9th. 2014. And one last note as others have said there is no restaurant. The sign just says closed!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teejaie99
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The room was clean, the fridge a nice surprise. We were having a Girl's Weekend without kids. Finding a large group of energetic 9 year olds running wild in the hotel was not great, That can't be every weekend ... and was my only real complaint.

Free internet would have been nice, the on-site restaurant being open would have been good, as well.

Having a vehicle is necessary if you don't want to taxi all the way back to the Falls.

Getting away, relaxing in the pool and hot tub (after wild children check out), works for me. They also offer SPA services!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here December 28 -30th 2013 with my family. For a double bed , the rooms carpet was filthy when you looked under the bed- it was dusty and found some change, meaning that they dont clean thoroughly.

THe ice bucket was filthy ! Particularly under the cover of the container. The ICE Machine DID NOT work the entire time, and in the entire "resort" there is only 1 ice machine on the 4th floor, very INCONVENIENT if you are on a different floor.

THere was VOMIT in the STAIRWELL for an entire evening, overnight and morning from a very LOUD guest in a different room.
THe signal on the TV was absolute garbage. AND NO WI-FI!!! WHO DOESNT OFFER WI-FI NOWADAYS? ITS 2014 for Gods sake.

I couldnt understand the ladies at the front desk if my life depended on it. Their ENGLISH is broken and incomprehensible, they were very nice but I have to be able to understand you.

The pool is SUPER DUPER small , smaller than any other resort Ive ever Stayed in.
Other than what I mentioned above, Everything else was just OK.

Room Tip: pick floor #4 for the ICE machine- and hope that it works by then.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vacationxpert
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Just returned from overnight stay, our team booked rooms and we were able to get a great rate! Very clean grounds and interior, lobby is lovely, dark wood and stone with fireplace and comfy lounge area. Front desk staff very friendly(morning girl not so much but her partner made up for it). Our rooms were basic but clean and no smoke smell (230"s block) and no rooms across hall just windows, so nice and quiet! Rooms also have the wonderful heat/cooling/fan units under window that you can control-nice to have fan option for white noise! Bathroom clean and well stocked, a rusty shower rod the only noticeable flaw-shower pressure was excellent and plenty of hot water. Beds are very low but very comfortable, pillows are basic.TV's are small flat screens and few channels and no wifi in rooms. Elevator area on that floor has two Juliet balconies to lounge area below-very nice touch.
Overall a reasonable price option, we had a great stay and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of chapel and grounds, very pretty!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lovetotravelWaterloo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

When we got to our room the AC was on full blast and it was not very hot. So we turned it off and within 20 minutes the room started having a stale smell. Next day we went out and when we came back to the room our towels weren't changed nor the room cleaned. The front desk did give us another room but again this room smelt like someone had been smoking. In the morning when we used the shower, the tub was clogged and took a very long time to drain. We did mention this to the front desk on checking out and she mentioned that some rooms are smoking. So if you do not smoke I suggest you do not stay there. That stale smell is probably the aftermath of smoking. Fair enough it was cheaper than the other hotels. We saved approximately $100 dollars for a 2 night stay. But I think next time I would pay the additional $100 dollars and stay somewhere else. Where we can enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: 2and4floor have the ice machines so make sure you do not get the end rooms on that floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple