“Worse and Below than Rating ......”
Review of Arkona Motel

Arkona Motel
Ranked #112 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed in this motel for a night in twin queen size bed room, even though I am not picky and I was expecting that what i will see but still the following things I noticed.

1- Poor lighting
2- Fridge takes whole night to cool up water bottles, I put bottles and they were cold next morning
(ha ha)
3- The most worst thing was the "Air Conditioner" I turned that on for whole night but still outside weather was cold that our room..... God : (
4- Washroom was way dirty with yellow stains and hair stuck all over the place.
5- Beds were very uncomfortable.

The thing what made me surprise that when i complained to the owner he said to me" yeah, other people complained that too before" Huhhhh???

Fellows, I won't recommend this motel ever. I have stayed many other motels because its my hobby to stay in different motels and hotels but I've never been this much disappointed before.

Thanks for your time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tim J
There are newer reviews for Arkona Motel

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stopped in a week ahead and asked to see a room so I had an idea of what I would be getting. The service was friendly and she had no problem giving me a preview before I booked. The motel is showing its age but was clean enough and the bed was comfortable. As another reviewer said, (I may have had the same room!) there was no bathroom mirror, sink plug, towel rack or coat rack. I did enjoy a leisurely bath in the heart shaped tub but the Jacuzzi jets did not work. A couple of light bulbs were burned out as well. Fortunately I travel with an extension cord or using (my own) blow dryer at the mirror over the desk would have been difficult. I can't comment on the breakfast as I had a meeting to attend. Most of the issues were not terribly important for one night, but the biggest problem was the internet connection which could not be maintained even after calling the office and asking them to reboot the modem. Of the list of available connections, two other nearby motels had stronger strength and the one next door was the best of all. Too bad I couldn't have their password! It is in consideration of the price ($39/night) that I am giving them a 3/5.

Room Tip: Realize you will be staying at an older motel with second-hand furnishings but the bed was comfortab...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank PLKG
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The room had been recently renovated, but they forgot a bathroom mirror, sink plug, towel rack & coat hooks. The problems could be fixed for less than $100 per unit. The bed was good & there was a nice heart shaped tub.It was clean. The breakfast was not worth bothering with. The staff (2 ladies) were nice, but not well acclimatized to Canada, serving butter on a stick with the fruit.
There is an interesting sign in the lobby: "once you have paid, you cannot cancel". So do not be fooled by the photos, it is a very ordinary motel with some inside upgrades. The exterior needs work, it is in poor condition.

Room Tip: Bring your own mirror & sink plug.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adzy40
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at this motel August 4th for the first and last time ever! this place was really sketchy & dirty. As soon as we stepped into the room it had this mold smell to it. the ac was on max so guessing the smell was coming from there. the mirrors had finger prints all over them like they haven't been cleaned. the shower had a open pack of soap in it (not like I was going to use it in the first place) the sheets had cigarette holes all over them paint & wood chipping off the door & mouldings. There were people what seemed to be living there they had their door open and the room was a disaster clothes everywhere. kids playing in the parking lot because they said the little slide for kids to play there were screws sticking up out of the wood. in the morning you can hear people talking & kids running around screaming. The stairs was closed off because the concrete was cracking & breaking off the steps. this place is a nightmare the pictures look really deceiving do not stay here... the health & safety board should shut this place down, not fit to stay here that's for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank courtney M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was the all time WORST hotel experience of my life. I don't even know where to begin, so I will leave a list
- Arrived late and was welcomed by a drunken man stumbling through the parking lot and a woman who was clearly high (and half naked) screaming at US to shut up.
- Tried to check in and was welcomed by a woman who got mad at us because we were a team and teams are "too rowdy" (....read on....)
- Had to walk over a drunken passed out man to get into our room
- Got yelled at and asked if we had any heroin when we went to our car
- Stains on sheets and pillows, broken through bathroom door, stains and bugs in bathtub, "Arkona Motel" written in white-out on microwave, peeling wall paper, etc.etc.
- Got NO sleep all night because of a domestic going on outside... two women screaming and fighting over drugs, chasing each other. Another man involved later on. Called the front desk multiple times to now answer. Called cops 3 times. Car windshields broken in.
- In the morning we said we were NOT staying the following night and the owner was shocked and said she could do nothing about a refund. Said she "heard nothing" the night before and couldn't do anything for us.
I am SHOCKED at the price of this hotel and that it even has 1 star. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank JillioT23
Reviewed 12 July 2013

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO US ON SATURDAY......................................Long story short...... After a long tiring day we went to check into our hotel I picked up the key and payed we went to the room and on our way up to the room all we could smell was pot!!! We walked towards the room and the people in the room next to us had all their dirty laundry(bras,underwear) hanging on the railing. We got to the room and as soon as I opened the door all you could smell was a mix of mold, mildew, really bad body odor and some other smells I couldn't determine .lol There was garbage and stains and clumps of hair and paint chips all over the floor. The bathroom and the sinks didnt look like they had ever been cleaned and when I opened the fridge it smelt like something had died in there. I went down to the front desk and told them about the smell. The guy came upstairs and as soon as he walked in the door he smelt it too. He took the ac apart and took the filter out and OMG the thing was so black and the stench was unbearable!!!! He took it and cleaned it but..... There was NO way the kids and I were sleeping there!!!!! I went to the office and told them we couldnt stay because my niece was having a bad reaction to the smell!! Hell we all were. You could literally taste it!! I asked for them to return all or part of my money so we could leave. She informed me she couldnt return any money. I explained to her that Tori was having an allergic reaction to the mold and mildew and if we stayed any longer I would of had to take her to emerg. We wernt even there 5 mins before I brought this to her attention. I demanded to speak with the owner. After an hour of being givin the run around the owner called and I spoke with her about the situation. After a 25min conversation She told me she could not give me any of my money back and said I should of called and cancelled before 11am as I explained to her " How was I suppose to know she would have such a bad reaction to the smell and condition of the room?" She said "well you should of put on the reservation that she had allergy's to mold and mildew" Isaid "LIKE REALLY????????????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? WHEN I BOOK A HOTEL DO I REALLY NEED TO ASK FOR A ROOM WITHOUT MOLD??????????? then I asked "WHAT KIND OF CLEANING PRODUCT DO YOU USE IN YOUR ROOMS? MAYBE SHE IS HAVING SOME SORT OF REACTION TO THAT?" SHE SAID "THATS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE WE DONT USE ANY PRODUCTS TO CLEAN OUR ROOMS" Well needless to say I lost it on her even more then before!!!!!I explained to her that I would be getting in touch with the health and safety board the better business buroe and the newspapper and a few other places. after a few more choice words I hung up with her. Needless to say I didnt get any money back.lol SO IF ANY OF YOU ARE PLANING A TRIP TO NIAGARA FALLS IN THE NEAR FUTURE MAKE SURE YOU ASK TO SEE THE ROOM FIRST BEFORE YOU PAY BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO WALK INTO!!!! AND STAY VERY FAR AWAY FROM THE ARKONA HOTEL. THE PICTURES ONLINE WERE NOTHING LIKE THE ROOM!!!!!

Room Tip: Please look at the room before you make payment!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank DebraJuly2013
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed at this motel last fall and it is an experience that we don't want to repeat. What they advertise on the website and what you see in the pictures is nothing like the reality. The list of negatives is so long that it's a wonder this motel even runs - to start with the rooms were not ready on time, the door locks were stuck, there was no light in the bathroom (and when we asked them to change the light bulb, this rather unkempt looking gentleman turned up smelling of beer and smoke, took the bulb from the bedside lamp and put it in the bathroom, claiming they didn't have any extra light bulbs!!) the ac's didnt work (and when we asked for a room change, they gave us another room where the ac didn't work either). When we stepped out, we were shocked to see a rather violent fight between a man and his girlfriend in the parking lot of the motel - not a very pleasant sight for little children! Really terribly customer service, the desk staff responded to our requests as if they were doing us a favor. Next time we would rather pay more and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family