“Got off on the wrong foot, and stayed that way, but she works hard.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Moon Motel

Blue Moon Motel
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Muskego, Wisconsin
“Got off on the wrong foot, and stayed that way, but she works hard.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Pros:
- beautiful grounds
- pool (many rules listed)
- quiet
- several grills available
- outdoor dining options

Cons:
- extremely unfriendly owner
- needs deep cleaning
- policies are not presented clearly on reservation site
- unsafe outlets in multiple units

I spent quite a bit of time researching the best place for my family of 5 for this vacation. We prefer queen beds and are fine with one child sleeping in a sleeping bag we provide or a rollaway. When I read this on the booking.com website:
"Children and Extra Beds- Free! All children under 18 years stay free of charge when using existing beds. Extra beds are not available.
Free! One child under 2 years stays free of charge in a crib. There is no capacity for extra beds in the room." and on the booking page it states "Prices are per room. " and while room occupancy is listed, all rooms, including those with two or more beds show only two, except for the family suite which allows 6.

I like to support Mom & Pop hotels and given that this one was so highly rated for good service. I've stayed at (and rated) them in the past and like to support small business. I called Blue Moon Motel directly to ask if their double rooms had queen bed or full beds, as well as to save the owner any fees that they might have to pay by taking a reservation through booking.com and instead going direct. She stated that both were available and that it just depended on the size of the family. I told her my husband was a large man (6'3" and 300+ lbs) and that we would like the queen beds room. She assured me she could fulfill that request.

We pulled in around 6pm to check in. I went to the desk and gave my name and stated my reservation of two queen bed room. Her face fell and she said she only had the full size left. She seemed upset that I had a family of 5, although I'm 90% sure I mentioned that (and have stayed at motels that have allowed that, even on this trip). I reminded her that when I made the reservation that I had specifically asked for a queen room. She explained that a family arrived where there was a disability issue of climbing the stairs and she had to give the last double queen room to them. She offered to put us into room 110, which I believe is the family suite and asked us to use only the two beds and then we would be moved into a double queen room after the others had checked out. Additionally, I offered to stay in the double full-sized room, but she said my husband was too large for a full sized bed (we could've and have made it work). I asked if she would charge us for the additional cost and she reluctantly said "no". On filling out the registration card, it explains there are very strict occupancy limits and if you have more than 4, you will be charged more. This is not stated anywhere, until check in and I had no way of knowing this from looking at the website.

We checked in and tried to be very careful and considerate in our room. Therefore, we did not use the kitchen facilities, other than the kitchen sink and refrigerator/freezer and used two beds. We ate outside at the picnic tables and used the grill. My husband asked for grilling tools and she provided them. He said "WOW she really hates you, but she was ok to me."

A grocery store is 1/2 block away, across the street, which was very convenient.

I used the coin washer and dryer which worked well, although the laundry room was full of other (guest?) laundry and garbage was overflowing. $2.50 to wash, $0.25 every 5 minutes to dry.

The next day, I turned in the key to our room, left luggage that they could move downstairs to our new room while we were out for the day. My family had the light continental breakfast of toast, sliced cheese, croissants, cold cereal and yogurt. We all ate lightly, except my 4yo had lots of cheese (5 slices or so).

We returned around 3:30pm that afternoon and she checked me back in. This time I got a smile from her. She was talking to a gentleman before me who was looking for a room that weekend and she explained that they were full due to the long weekend. Encouraged by her smile, I asked what the long weekend was. She went back to gruff mode and said the August civic holiday was that weekend. I felt foolish for asking, even though I trying to be friendly.

Later, I was sitting outside our room after a rainstorm, because the WiFi signal was better outside. Doris came by carrying a portable heater, complaining about guests who were too cold. (it was 70s during the day and upper 50s at night).

We waited outside the office the next morning for breakfast and to check out and she opened about 5 minutes late and said something to the effect that we were up very early and she hoped we hadn't woken everyone up! Yes, I have young children, but they were quiet. A French Canadian family in the room next to us and both of our families were quiet. 7:30am is not insanely early either.

We did not use the pool so I cannot comment on that. My little ones did use the play set and had fun. Many smokers sat outside in the common areas smoking. I didn't notice smoke in our room, despite the windows being open. The grounds were beautiful and well-kept. You can tell the owner works hard to upkeep.

I was really hoping for the 3-5 star experience everyone raved about. Instead, I got a 1-1.5, mostly due to the owner and her attitude toward me and my family. I felt very uncomfortable around the owner (my 16yo son also noticed her negative attitude toward me and commented on it) The rooms were ok. Not the cleanest, but not awful. The grounds were great. Furniture was dated (totally ok with that), beds were adequate. Safety issue of plugs not staying in outlets- VERY loose!

In her responses to negative reviews, she always says you should have notified management, but she WAS management and was intimidating and brusque.

I'm giving the place 3 stars, because I know she works very hard- she seemed to run the place herself, and maybe she just had an off couple of days and took it out on a few choice clientele. She seemed stressed about the upcoming long weekend. But my experience was FAR lower and I will never go back, nor will I recommend it to anyone with the exception of perhaps couples only. My worst hotel experience and I'm honestly surprised by all the 5 star reviews...

Room Tip: know that if you request a specific room type, it may not be honored (other reviewers have noted thi...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mara D
BlueMoonNiagaraFalls, Owner at Blue Moon Motel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write an elaborate review. I am so sorry that you felt that you were targeted for any reason, I have no animosity towards anyone and sorry that you felt that way. I have tried my best to keep you and your family comfortable and I am sorry that the first night I had to place you in the family suite since the room you booked I had to give to a customer that had mobility issues which they did not specify in the comment line and so we were not prepared. It happens in the best of places and the best of hotels. In a few cases a room gets damaged by a previous guest and we have to close this room for repair and therefore other guest will have to be misplaced.
I was not upset with you, I was upset with myself for not writing a note beside your reservation about the size of your family and I was embarrassed.
As for the rules around the pool, these are regulations given to us by the Ministry of Health and they ensure and check every other week that the pool is in good order for the public.
With Booking.com it shows that the price listed is for 2 adults, extra adults will be charged 10.00 more per night. Children are free. Baby crib is free. Extra cot (single bed is $10.00) if needed.
Although we had to place your family in the larger unit and then the room with 2 queens we still only charged the agreed price of 80.00 per night.
The Continental Breakfast we offer (complimentary, has no price value is a gift from us to our guests) and we open at 7:30am till 10:00am. Sometimes I would see guests waiting outside and if I have set the table beforehand I would open the door for the guests especially if there are young children playing outside while everyone else is still sleeping.
We are a 2 star family run motel and try our best to keep everyone happy. Again, we apologize for your discontent.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Rather as a coincidence, we were here for one night on the 4th of July, not knowing this was one of the busiest weekends in the year for the motel. But although it was busy and we were from Europe, so the language was a bit of a problem, and although she was tired of the hard work, we got a lot of very useful information from Doris. Surely she has to repeat this a hundred times, but still she did listen to what we wanted: no bus and no attractions but only to see the falls and feel how great nature can be, despite the terrible tourist circus around it. She gave us her own vision on what is worth visiting and now we have seen it all, it was a realistic and honest vision. We went from the motel to the centre, found a great parking place thanks to Doris and spent an impressive evening under the fireworks.
We shared the room with our 16-year old daughter, we had a big room with two queen-size beds (for Europeans: a common bed for two) and it was quiet. We used the swimming pool too, a good refreshment after a hot day. It is a warmed swimming pool, and well kept.
It was a perfect stay for us, wanting to visit the Niagara Falls.

2 Thank Natuur
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our two night stay was very nice and helped make our Niagara Falls visit very enjoyable. We had a King room that might be described as small but was adequate to our needs, was clean and modern, and the bedding was very comfortable. This is an older-style motel so we expected less, especially for the price. But we depended on the good ratings on tripadvisor and made the reservation. Could not have been more satisfied. The proprietor, Doris was gracious and helpful with suggestions about how to get around and where we might want to dine. The entire property was adorned with beautiful flower planters and baskets. Much was available that we did not utilize such as the playground and pool but these areas also looked excellent. We really enjoyed the continental breakfast too that included enough variety to satisfy the majority of guests as long as you do not expect a hot gourmet meal with table service. All things considered... I just changed my overall rating from very good to excellent!

Room Tip: Really depends on your needs; this property has a lot a variety. Rooms in rear would probably be qui...
1 Thank MotownMarshallFans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the Blue Moon Motel during the 4th of July holiday. The rooms were very clean and we had a large jacuzzi in our room. The owners, Doris & Ron, are so very friendly and very accommodating to all of their guests. We had such a wonderful time sitting in the garden, enjoying getting to know Doris & Ron and we look forward to returning for another stay at this wonderful motel.

1 Thank MJForristall
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We recently had occasion to spend three glorious nights at the Blue Moon Motel in Niagara Falls, Canada. We booked it based on good reviews, and our experience goes along with those reviews.

From the time of our arrival until our departure, we were treated like family by the owners. They are very gracious, keep a neat, clean motel with nice touches, like numerous flower boxes, several patios with nice furniture and new gas grilles for the use of guests. The floor in our room was a wood laminate, which is so much nicer than carpeting.

We bought the Discovery Passes at the motel, which included not only four attractions, but also unlimited rides on the WEGO bus system. There was a stop in front of the motel, so we got transportation to all the attractions without having to worry about driving or parking.

The beds were comfortable, we had a refrigerator and microwave in the room, a nice swimming pool, and free calls to anywhere in the USA. There was a free continental breakfast included. All in all, it was a fabulous stay, and I certainly recommend the Blue Moon to anyone who vacations in the area.

3 Thank JRS358
Willimantic,CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We recently visited Niagara Falls Ontario and I was so impressed with the Blue Moon Motel, I just had to share my thoughts. From the time you walk into the motel, you are greeted with a warm welcome and are given detailed information on the area. The motel has beautiful planters and hanging plants everywhere. We stayed on the second floor and there were two picnic tables there along with a large gas grill for guests to use. We were able to grill our food and sat outside to enjoy our dinner, surrounded by the many beautiful flowers. It felt like our own little oasis. The WEGO bus stops right in front of the hotel (really convenient). There is a continental breakfast served in the morning, including hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, baked goods, cereals, etc. A great way to start the day. We have stayed at lots of hotels in our many travels, and I can truly say this was one of my favorites. A big thank you to the wonderful staff. We had an awesome time! Will definitely return again.

6 Thank KMILLER01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Really clean, quiet and the owners are super friendly. I felt sorry for the people across the street who paid more for their plain box franchise hotel room. We used the BBQ almost every day, sat in the shady garden by the pool and enjoyed listening to the birds chirping in the shrubs by our back windows. Yes the furniture is dated, but well maintained and the shower was the best!

Room Tip: We chose a room with a kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple