“Not impressed”
Review of Campark Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara Falls
Campark Resorts
lebanon, nh
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here for 5 nights in July while visiting Niagara Falls and Toronto. Let me start with the positive...nice clean level sites, our site was grassy which we liked and good location to get to the Falls and surrounding areas. That's it. The bad? The sites are extremely close together. And loud! Our site was literally on the curb of the very busy Lundys Lane so the traffic noise was awful! I would have rather stayed next to the train that woke me at 6am than listen to trucks downshifting all night! The bathrooms were dirty, there were obnoxious, unattended kids in the pool at all hours, the pool and playgrounds were rundown with no shade and not enough lounge chairs and the wifi was nonexistent. They charge $9.00 for a very small bag of wood but when my kids lost 75 cents in the rundown arcade the staff refused to refund their money. For the price we paid I was expecting way more. A "resort?" I think not.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank foodey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

He arrived at Campark and were pleased with the speed of the check in. The staff seemed pretty friendly and explained exactly where our site was. We were lucky enough to get a site that was close to everything that the kids would have enjoyed. Unfortunately the IceCream shop is only open Thursday - Sunday so we missed it during our stay. I felt like I had to go to the shop multiple times and each time I found the staff to be knowledgeable and courteous. The only time that I was disappointed was when I went to ask about borrowing a hatchet to chop the wood I bought there (for $9 a bag) into smaller pieces. They said they didn't have one and they would get back to me. (No one ever did). I end up buying one of their firestarter puck thingys for $2.50 that worked fine. After enduring a downpour in my tent, sleeping on the hard ground because we forgot our air mattress we decided to move our family of 5 into one of the cabins they call "bunkies" The staff accommodated us with no hassles and we moved sites. We prayed that it would rain again since we spent the extra money and we were not disappointed. The only complaint I have about the park that has a heated pool, moderate sized splash pad and a few playgrounds was the fact that we seemed to be in a construction zone. A front end loader would rumble by every 15 min or so. It really took away from the quiet enjoyment of the outdoors. If I wanted to spend over $100 for a place to sleep that didn't provide the peace and quiet that we wanted I would have chosen one of the hundreds of other places to stay closer to the falls.
I do have to mention the morning breakfast. There was a pancake special on (might always be a special) that was $2.99. I added 2 orders of bacon to it and it fed my 3 children. The regular breakfast meals were reasonably priced as well.
There is also a shuttle to the falls close to the entrance the costs $7 for adults and $4 for kids if I remember correctly.
The showers were clean and the water pressure was great. Made me remember why I like to have campground showers. I love a lot of water pressure.
Overall I would stay here again if I wanted to camp in Niagara Falls again. I had a good time.

Room Tip: If you have kids and are tent camping try to get a site that has electricity and water. The ones th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Solesko
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Niagara Falls was our destination, not the campground, but we wanted to stay somewhere out of the hustle & bustle of the Falls area & all its tourist traps (fun if you like them, but expensive). We also liked the idea of being outdoors and having campfires, etc. Of course, there's also the fact that it is MUCH more affordable and gives you the opportunity to save money by making many meals yourselves.

We rented 2 mini bare-bones cabins with another family. They were little but sturdy, and exactly as described on website.

Pros:
The staff are very friendly and want you to enjoy your stay. They were helpful with questions, and made sure rules were enforced (when they saw them being broken).

Since we rented the cabins, we didn’t need a lot of camping ‘stuff’ and there wasn’t all the setup and take-down time. It was an easier form of the tent camping we do normally.

The bathrooms are THE CLEANEST I have ever seen in 30+ years camping. Any time of the day I went in, they were tidy.

There were many trash cans around the park, which made it easy to clean up after meals, etc.

Each cabin has a porch, table, and its own fire pit outside. Fire pits have grills that flip over the top of them to make cooking easier.

Activities: Pool and sprinkler pad are nice, there’s an ice cream stand on weekends, daily wagon rides, mini golf, a barn in which they hold evening activities (ie: karaoke), pancake breakfasts, etc.

Cons:
The mini cabins are right at the front, sandwiched between the RR and main road. It was NOISY. It didn’t necessarily keep us awake at night after the first night, but if you don’t adjust to things like that it’s an issue.

They are also packed tightly together. I think there were 8 in our horseshoe, and really only 3 groups using 5 cabins and 3 fire pits. I can’t imagine how 8 groups could all use that space at once. Additionally, there were constantly kids running through our green from other parts of the campground as a shortcut to the pool. I guess that’s a camping etiquette thing, but definitely something they should remind families about as they check in.

General people noise being at the front of the park and right by the barn. The actual camp sites were farther back so this probably wasn’t an issue.

Tips:
There's a Food Co. nearby (less than a mile). We found it to be a great grocery store for our needs while there. FYI, they charge 5 cents for every bag they give you (bring your own if you don't want to do this) and 25 cents dep on cart that you get when you return it to its proper place. Not a problem unless you walk in without a quarter to get your cart! ;)

Bring an extension cord! Outlet is inside cabin, along wall. You may want to plug in things outside.

Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

Check online for coupons.

Overall, it was a fun place to hang, and our kids (4 in all, ages 8-11) were always happy to come back and hang out, go to the pool, play cards, sing karaoke, roast marshmallows, etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We biked in during a long weekend and wanted some peace and quiet. We'll that didn't happen. The tent area is packed in tight. Sites are nice but too close together. There was a large group next to our site who we're talking loudly, laughing and watching the World Cup until midnight. Quiet time is 11, so I had gone to get security but there was no one to be found. Generally rules are not enforced. I have found some of the clientele to be disrespectful. There is also the train but when you select a location next to the tracks, it' s to be expected and that did not bother us. Location is convenient next to the we-go stop, but there are 2 or 3 other campsites nearby which I would select before going back to this one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTLcyclebuff
Olean, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here the weekend of July 4. I would stay here again. As others stated, if you don't mind trains, it's good. The front desk clerks were not friendly. Sites small. Enjoyed the fact security was out and willing to ask others to quiet down.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Honeybeez1997
Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We called to reserve a site just two weeks before the Canada Day weekend and were happy to discover they still had a cabin and a bunkie available. We chose a cabin because we didn't feel we needed a/c and it was cheaper. When we arrived the cabin we had was in a terrible location. It had zero space around it for our 2 and 4 year old to play because we were blocked off by a small row of bushes for some reason and the entire grounds surrounding our cabin were not only smaller than every other cabin but had absolutely no grass. It was ALL MUD. There was nowhere to sit to enjoy the fire or let the kids play near our own cabin. Yes, they could play out in a more common grassy area but it's not the point here. The other cabins all had nice grassy lots. Let's just say don't rent cabin #22.

Other than that negative the cabin itself was clean and tidy, no musty smells that you sometimes get in these type of accommodations. We didn't stay in the cabin because we need safe space for our kids to be able to run around a bit and somewhere to set up our camp chairs around the fire. We went to the office and asked about other availabilities. Lucky for us there was still a Bunkie available.

The Bunkies are like sleeper cabins with added perks like a/c, a counter and cupboards for storage, a mini fridge and a microwave. I didn't want the fridge, a/c or microwave but really needed a better location. When we went inside we discovered the Bunkies are nearly brand new, the wood even smelled new! They have two sets of bunks, doubles on the bottom, singles on top. Another thing I liked was they had lots of hooks on the walls so you could hang your bags or towels to dry. There were plenty including some at kid-height. It was an organized campers dream. The bunkies also include a seperate charcoal grill for your use, water outside and the picnic table and fireplace, as well as your own parking space which was a bonus. There is a good size lighted balcony and two plastic chairs for lounging. Just to be clear there is no running water or bathroom inside the bunkies.

So we really enjoyed our accommodations with plenty of space for our kids to play with enough room to set up a small tent for the kids to play in. The park itself is not very big which I actually found nice. Nothing was too crowded. The pool was a little crowded but no more than any public pool. It was not a very big pool but it is salt water which was nice. They have a hot tub too that I didn't use but was told by someone who did that it was very hot. The area around the pool wasn't very big so if you sat around the pool you definitely will get splashed by people jumping in.

The kids loved the splash pad and we spent most of our time there. The only negative is that it has a cement surface so our kids came home with many scratches, bruises and cuts from falling. I like the spongy surfaces at some newer pads. The water was ok, too cold for me but kids didn't mind at all. My husband and I would go jump in the pool, then go to the splash pad so we were more climatized and weren't dying by a thousand cold splashes ;) There is an ice cream bar next to the splashpad that is only open thursday to sunday. They serve all hard ice cream and make sundaes.

They do have mini golf but we never tried it. All of the amenities like the pool, splash pad and mini golf are next to Lundy's Lane so there's lots of traffic noise which takes away from that camping feeling but once you go into the park it's not too bad.

The playgrounds there are definitely old and not in the greatest shape. We didn't let the kids play in them much because one was sandy and muddy due to being next to a water source belonging to the tents nearby. The other play structure was so enclosed that I couldn't see my kids when they disappeared in there so we didn't take them there anymore.

The kids enjoyed the all-ages karaoke and they had little activities at the pavillion most days, including tie dye shirts. There was a tractor-wagon ride that the kids enjoyed. They also had breakfast in the barn which we didn't do because we felt it was too much to pay $5.50 each for breakfast when camping.

The bathrooms and showers were amazingly clean. The men's was clean as well which is something my husband said he hasn't seen at a campground yet. There were no offensive smells in the bathrooms at all which we have encountered in the past. The floors were wet and muddy of course but it is a campground bathroom being trekked through by people walking on dirt trails and playing in a sandy playground. I did notice they mopped them every night. They also had a bathtub in each bathroom too in case you wanted to bathe your children. Due to my own ick-factor I stuck to showers.

There is a train that goes through just behind the park and it is LOUD. Sounded like it was coming through the park. We didn't mind too much since our kids were up at 6 am anyway but if you're not an early riser it would be a problem for you.

I read a lot of negative reviews on here about staff being pushy about putting your fire out but we never encountered that. We did notice some people kept their fires going past midnight and nothing was said. We also never encountered a rude staff member there, not once as other reviewers have mentioned. The woman running the ice cream bar kept it open well past closing to accommodated people, the office staff were very helpful and the cleaning staff were nice and friendly.

We did stay a little longer after we checked out and went for a wagon ride for the Canada Day parade. It was very small but very nice for them to do something like that for the campers and seasonal residents. They gave out little gifts as you boarded the wagon and answered a question about canada correctly.

Overall it was a very nice experience and I would recommend it as a place to stay if you like small campgrounds and don't need to sleep in. I do believe some of their play equipment could be updated but we don't expect too much when camping as long as there is something to keep the kids occupied. The friendly staff and clean facilities are worth more than new playground equipment.

oh and I almost forgot, they have free wi-fi if you feel the need for it. They give you two passwords upon check in.

Room Tip: beware of cabin #22, terrible outside grounds. The cabins do not have charcoal bbq's. Avoid ten...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Situated at the end of the bus line, this campsite is large with friendly staff. The pool was the perfect temperature with either salt water or low chlorine, anyway our eyes weren't stinging at all. The splashpad was great fun and kept our three kids (6,6,4) happy. The site itself was large with one tree for shade, the amenities block was tired, but design wsa good, with loos and showers in individual lockable cubicles. We stayed in the middle of June and there were not many other casual campers, but a few permanents. It felt like it would be better staying over the weekend, There are plenty of accommodation options on Lundy lane, if I were to return, I'd consider one closer to Niagara Falls.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family