The Diplomat Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Universal Inn & Suites(Niagara Falls)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Fairway Motor Inn(Niagara Falls)
View Hotel
Marco Polo Inn(Niagara Falls)
Sunset Inn(Niagara Falls)
View Hotel
Empress Inn & Suites(Niagara Falls)
  • Pool
All reviewsdairy queensized roomoutdoor pooldecent place to staywalking distanceminute walkfree parkinglundy's lanefallsview casinoattractionsmicrowavejacuzziwashroomdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was charged for 1 night stay in June despite my cancellation notice more than 10 days in advance. The hotel uses a third party booking service which after booking, doesn't seem to respond to cancellation requests. I sent 2 cancellation emails to the reservation email and received automated responses saying that I will be attended to soon but I never received a response. Following that it took 3 days of calling the hotel before I got to speak to a person instead of getting directed to the answering machine! And the hotel personnel told me she didn't have my reservation, but i was charged for the room despite that!

Since then I have sent an email and called twice to no avail. Always the automated email message and phone answering machine. Be warned! This hotel doesn't honor its cancellation policy at all!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank JoyCCL14
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in July 2014. Had a room on the second floor with two queen beds. Found the room nice and clean and smelled clean. The owners were very welcoming and friendly, offering directions and places to see. About a 10 minute walk down Clifton Hill which we did often. The only suggestion that I have would be a coffeemaker in the room for addicts like me. Great price and enjoyable stay! We'll definitely plan another trip here...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tj g
Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you are a budget traveler who wants cleanliness, quietness, and convenience, this is the perfect place to stay. I chose it because (unlike most of the other hotels in the Fallsview area of Niagara) there was no parking fee, it had a fridge (you have to specifically ask for a room with one), and the rate was affordable. I was not disappointed.

Our 2-queen bed room was down the end of a hall on the first floor so it was very quiet. I was extremely pleased with the cleanliness of the bedroom and the bathroom, the modern fridge with separate freezer (I've never seen that in a motel before!), and the awesome air conditioning. The owners were adorable, especially the grandfather who was planting flowers outside, and even the cleaning staff were helpful in giving advice about where to go.

I was really surprised at how close the motel was to the Falls. Walk a half a block to Robinson Street and take a left. Walk 2 blocks a (past the amazing Skylon Tower and IMAX) and then go down a set of stairs through a patch of trees. When you emerge, you are at the gorgeous Niagara waterfront with the Table Rock Tourist Centre a 10-minute walk away. So convenient!

As for restaurants close to the motel, there is an IHOP next door at the Radisson and Buchanan's Steak House at the Doubletree Hilton across the street. There are several other local restaurants within walking distance (pizza, Indian food, a buffet). However, with young kids and being on a budget, we mostly went to Lundy Lane ( one block away) and drove about four blocks down for a wide variety of fast food (Pizza Hut, Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, Red Lobster, etc.) In addition, there are a lot of large chain restaurants a few blocks away to the right also in the Fallsview area, several with outdoor musical entertainment. The Clifton Hill section of town is a few blocks in the other direction and had many restaurants as well. I did not care for that garish part of town at all, however, and enjoyed spending most of our time in the natural beauty of the Falls and the riverfront park.

The motel's outdoor pool is not big but was perfect for our needs after a long day of sightseeing. Other amenities included a microwave and ice machine on the second floor, which we used regularly.

If you are looking for a fancy hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want economy, convenience, and cleanliness, you can't go wrong with the Diplomat Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall on the first floor for the most quiet location. There is no elevator for higher floors.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank barbsboyBoston
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We visited it during the March Break about 2 yrs ago, though the date box in the review does not let me go past 2014... We had booked 2 nights, based on the fav. Reviews and affordable on - line prices, which were presented as abs the best. When we arrived and signed for the rate, the sign by the motel advertised room rate lower by about 30% than we had agreed to pay! We discussed over the phone, when booking, and saw it on line that there would be a coffee maker in the Rm. Before getting the stuff out of the car, we went to check out the Rm. It had an awfully dirty , perm. shut window, no coffe maker and for some reason, a crib, which made it hard to get to the only nook where the hooks for outdoor clothes were. The motel was mostly empty, yet they were using this booked rm as a storage of unwanted furniture... When we went to the front desk to ask about a coffee maker, the lady owner went to the back rm. And brought in a coffee maker, which she assumed we would be carrying up to our rm. Ourselves. The access to the rms was through the Outside from the check in desk, in through another Dort, not very close, and up the stairs. As if we did not have to carry, in addition to our luggage, we also had to carry the coffee maker with a glass carafe, which could have fallen off. They also told us to return it to the front desk upon checking out. The lady owner was soo talkative, it was bordering on uncomfortable and we avoided stopping by the front desk to pick up some info if we saw she was there, because we knew she would start chatting again, for a LONG time! While nice, she was a bit odd. The worst part was when on the second day, we returned from the sightseeing in order to change for dinner and a show we had booked for that night, we were shocked to see our empty room's door was AJAR! We thought we were being robbed. The hallway was abs. Abandoned, there was no cleaning staff anywhere, and there is no way the check in desk lady could see our hallway from her desk around the corner, through the outside! We rushed to check our belongings and immediately phoned the desk to report the problem. To our total amazement, they did not think it was a big deal at all! She said the cleaning staff must have left it open, though we kept on telling her that all the cleaning must have been finished hrs ago and there was abs. No security or supervision of any kind, we were lucky we had not been robbed
. We would not stay there again, nor would we recommend anyone else to stay there.
The motel is not that close to the Falls, be prepared to walk unless you want to drive, and if you have kids or older adults with you, they would not be able to walk from this inn to the Falls.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SubjectivelyObjectiv
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I were quite happy with the accomadations of this hotel. very friendly staff. Clean room. Could use some updating on towels and bedding but it was clean. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was good. Assume others would be the same
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple