“Nice hotel but views did not meet my expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls
Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice hotel but views did not meet my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

On the way home from a recent vacation, we went through Ontario because it is a shorter route back to Michigan than staying in the United States. We have been to Niagara Falls before but it was a good place to stop and the falls never get old, so we stayed in Niagara.

I thought my daughters would enjoy a falls view room so I splurged and spent extra to get a falls view room. Based on previous visits, I knew some hotels have better views than others but I could not remember exactly what view the DoubleTree would have. As it turns out, the view was okay from our 17th floor room but not as good as I had hoped. The view is okay for American Falls but almost non-existent for Horseshoe Falls. We were only in Niagara briefly for this visit so I did not have a lot of time to speculate what other hotels would offer a better view but I suspect the Embassy Suites would make a good choice. Either hotel will offer a good view of the summer fireworks displays done above the falls.

Would we stay here again? It depends on whether or not the view was important. If we want a good view, I will check out the Embassy Suites. If a room view is not important, I would consider the DoubleTree. We have also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in nearby St. Catharines. Unlike Niagara which can take on a circus type atmosphere because of the "tourist trap" attractions, St. Catharines is a really nice town. If you want to go swimming in Lake Ontario, check out Lakeside Park beach in St. Catharines.

By the way, another review mentioned staying on the 39th floor of the DoubleTree. The DoubleTree only has 19 floors so that was a typo.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank pinnacle-project

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Paoli, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a wonderful weekend stay. Great food, rooms, staff, etc. The rooms are larger than expected so a big plus. Within walking distance to all attraction but quietly not in the middle of it.Great salt water pool and hot tub.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had a lovely 2 night stay at this property. Upon arrival the clerk said there was a cancellation so she would upgrade our room at no charge to higher floor. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Our view of the attractions and fireworks was lovely. My husband and I have visited the Falls before so "closest" was not our top priority. This location was convenient to shops, restaurants and attractions.

1 Thank Nena D
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent one night at this hotel in a very comfortable room. The hotel is located within walking distance of all the major attractions without being in the very centre of the touristy area. The front desk kindly helped us put our bikes in a safe place, gave us parking for $12 a day, and provided all the necessary information. We ate at Buchanans, the hotel restaurant and found the meal very nice: good quality food, reasonably priced wine, competent waiters and pleasant ambiance. It was nice to see that many families with children who were enjoying the pool. One negative comment, however: The drinking glasses in the room were not clean. This is something that happens often in hotels and I do wish they'd be more careful about it. The glasses should be washed in a dishwasher which was obviously not the case here.

3 Thank ellenclareog
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I spent 2 nights here and it was fantastic. This hotel is very nice. We had a king whirlpool room on the 18th floor. The room was very nice with a view of the American falls. The hotel is not right at the falls but not to far away either. The hotel is within walking distance to all of the attractions, you can park your car and leave it there. The only negative I can say is the shower in our room was tiny, I am only 5'5" and I barely fit. If you are 6' or better you might not be able to take a shower.

Room Tip: For a delicious and inexpensive($6.99) breakfast buffet try Al Mac's cafe about 1/2 block from t...
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank David G
Liversedge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I had a 2 night stay here when we visited Niagara Falls. It was a good choice as everything was perfect from the moment we arrived. We actually arrived early (mid morning) but the reception staff rushed things along for us to find a room to check in to. The room was spotlessly clean and very well furnished. A very good complimentary breakfast was provided and we had free in room wi fi too. A short walk to the falls and to many good restaurants in Fallsview. On the morning we left, the valet parking staff had our car ready and waiting for us just 2 minutes after we requested it (this doesn't happen at many other hotels)
This hotel has los going for it and we heartily recommend it.

Room Tip: From what I could see, there weren't any badly located rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IBYorkie
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel was quite adequate; price fair. Rooms were quiet and clean, parking convenient. The hotel has good views of various car parks, and also of hotels better situated to the Falls. If you want to really "enjoy" your Niagara Falls experience I suggest you spend a bit more and stay in one of the premier hotels overlooking the Falls. This hotel is perfectly fine, but you'll have to walk through some typically tacky areas to get to where the, for want of a better term, action is.
Also, as some others have noted, the concierge does try to sell expensive, EXPENSIVE, tours. I guess that's his job; he's a bit too hard sell, however to do it effectively.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family