“Awful Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto, Canada
“Awful Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Stardust Inn in July a few years ago. We're not hard to please. Everything was fine. We saw a cockroach baby, and some droppings but it didn't really bother us because as I said, not hard to please. We were just so happy to afford a place with a heart shaped jacuzzi! Kick it off the bucket list, whatever.

We ended up in Niagara Falls this past winter and thought we'd give it another go. We showed up, only one truck parked. Got the room we had the last time. When we stepped in, it was FREEZING. Like, the carpeted floors were freezing. I put my shoes back on, and didn't even think of taking off my parka. We turned on the faux fireplace that was on a timer. Felt the radiator, and the air it was giving off was almost cool, so, clearly not good enough for -25 approx. weather. We waited half an hour, hoping that it would change. It didn't.

Went to alert the person who was running the place, who was in a little house just beside the motel. He came to the room, and messed around with the heat for about 15 minutes. It didn't feel any different. He said not to worry, when the electric fireplace is on, it will be warm. But the problem is that it was on a timer, so I asked him if that meant we would have to keep getting up in the night to keep turning it back on. He didn't say yes, he just kept saying in an annoyed tone that when the fireplace is on, it will be warm. Ignoring the concern that we would be continually waking up FREEZING. He said it would take some time, which I found pretty ridiculous...we're paying for the room. It should be habitable off the bat. I know it's a cheap deal, but that's just plain dangerous and I believe, illegal.

We waited around in the vague hope that the rad would start expelling warm air, but it didn't. So by this point we'd been in our room an hour, still wearing our winter coats. Went down to where he was staying to get him to let him know we were leaving. He would not look me in the eye as I addressed him, as calmly as was possible, tried to tell him it was impossible to stay in a room that cold and we should be refunded and instead talked over my voice to my boyfriend, which was extremely insulting. He wouldn't give us our money back, and I said that was unscrupulous behavior-to charge money for a room that isn't properly heated. Then he offered us extra blankets, which would have been laughable if we weren't exhausted, freezing, and being ripped off.

He didn't give us our money back. He offered us another room as his best offer, but it was hard to believe that we would have gotten anything warmer than the original room. The whole motel was vacant, save one truck parked-which could have been his own, so the heat might not have been on at all for some time. I was so irritated by his refusal to acknowledge me I literally had to ask him to look me in the eye to say "NO, we are leaving. You have proven yourself untrustworthy." I told him I would have no choice but to post a horrible review. As we drove off in the car I heard him yell "[--] YOU!" Well, back at you.

So, in conclusion, if you're not afraid of cockroaches and looking for a room with jacuzzi tub in the summer, The Stardust Inn might be for you. Only stay there in the winter if you plan to be in the jacuzzi the ENTIRE TIME.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had to fix the toilet bowl because a constant leak noise. Wifi doesnt work. Room paint needs refreshing (years overdue). Trash bags are piled by the entrance. But, most important, the Stardust Inn is located in a very poor part of town... Depressing way to start your trip/vacations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

Tyne & Wear, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This establishment is owned by people who understand the meaning of cleanliness and customer satisfaction and do their utmost to follow it through. Free car parking. Friends went to a hotel on the falls and the room was no cleaner than ours and they paid 3 times the amount we did. A short $7 taxi ride to the falls gets you right amongst the action. Would certainly use this place again when in the area.

Room Tip: Leave your car at the motel and get a taxi to the falls. Less hassle and frees you to walk around.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank willum65
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We booked this hotel last minute on the internet, so we weren't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised. The location is good, it is in a nice suburban area only 5 min walk from the main street and the Niagara Falls. Our check in was smooth and the lady was really friendly and helpful. The rooms are new looking and really nicely decorated. They are spacious and clean with nice furniture and good amenities like a microwave and fridge. The bathroom was spotless and looked new. We were just so impressed with the staff and the service, they went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. For the price range it is a good deal!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca A
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Im so happy I switched hotels - the owners were so nice and teh rooms are so clean. You get a microwave, small frigde, TV with DVD play (it is part of the TV on the side so look for it). It is out of the way a bit but so is walking from one end of the Falls to the other side but it is doable. The parking is free and it is in a residential area. It is basically across the Street from Motel 6 so price compare and Im sure that this is less money. There is a Waterpark that took 15 minutes to walk to. I would stay here again - my daughter who is 7 and I enjoyed our time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Windsor, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I stayed last night and were very happy with the room. Parking was free, and wi-fi too.
The room was very clean and spacious, complete with fridge, coffee maker, microwave and toaster. The tub was new and clean, and there was a separate shower. The bed was quite comfortable.
Off the beaten path a bit, but great place to stay for the price. Ten minute walk to the older casino and wax museums, bit longer to the falls. Taxi back cost under 10 dollars.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Avonchick
Hamburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

This place is filthy in a very bad part of town is scary and it smells. We used our visa card and asked to be credited. The man at the desk in the lobby refused to give his name to us. Finally he told us his name was Mr. Steven Cho. We asked to cancel our reservation he refused. Not only did he charge us for one night he said too bad and charged us for two. We had to find another accomodation. We have contacted the Niagara Regional Health Department and asked them to inspect the place immediately.

Room Tip: Do not book at this hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends