“You get what you pay for at the Tropicana !”
Review of Tropicana Inn

Tropicana Inn
Ranked #109 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 9 January 2011

If your travelling with friends, having a guys or girls night, getting drunk, going to the strippers or "Massage" parlours, or just looking for a cheap nights sleep, then this is the place for you. We were a group for a stag party.

$45 gets you a room with 2 queen size beds. The rooms are all smoking rooms, so dont kid yourself on that one. The beds were about a 5 out of 10, the comforter had dried vomit on it, the rooms smell like they were very dirty with a spray of freebreeze everywhere.

You get what you pay for.

All that being said, I would go back for the same experience again, its a place to hang your hat, just sleep on top of the covers or bring a sleeping bag!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billy1275

Reviewed 3 January 2011

Booked a jacuzzi room for New Year's Eve...and was pleasantly surprised. Room was super clean and pretty up to date. Desk staff was flexible and really easy to get along with too. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JaniceAnne
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I found the rooms at the Tropicana Inn to be clean, spacious and equipped with the necessities. It is close to the major attractions and the free shuttle bus stops in front of the door. So, we didn’t have to worry about getting around as we don’t have a car.
The family that run the motel are very friendly and made my stay a pleasant one.
Next time I go to Niagara I will definitely stay at the Tropicana Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My honey and I wanted a weekend of R & R. And that's exactly what we got! Nothing bothered us, the a/c was fine - not loud, we had booked the king jaccuzi room, and it was great! Very reasonably priced. Clean, bug-free, lots of towels (clean ones daily), lots of free parking, small fridge which we appreciated, ice in the freezer section, an alarm clock, tv, dehumidifer for use with the jaccuzi. The king bed was very comfortable, clean sheets! And of course, the jaccuzi was awesome - lots of hot water! I sure hope they give frequent guests a discount because we will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Stumbled across Tropicana Inn after we decided on a last minute trip to Niagara Falls whilst holidaying in Toronto as we were unable to fly home due to the ash cloud over the UK.

Admittedly we were on a budget, but got third time lucky whilst inquiring along Lundy's Lane. Were provided a spacious room with two large double beds for a little more than what others were charging for a single double.

Yes it is was no frills, but were provided all the neccesities and then some, it was very much a pleasant surprise. Not too sure why others have complained, they must've got unlucky.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I've never done a Trip Advisor review before, but I have used the site a few times and generally been very impressed with the feedback and information I get from the site. I really had to add my review for the Tropicana because the reality that I experienced did not match the reviews I read online. However, since staying there, I see there is now another 'would not recommend' review posted so clearly someone visiting the motel around the same time as I did had a similar experience.

Here's the lowdown on the motel:

1. the price is cheap--its only $70 for a queen bed for the night

2. the motel is right beside a gentleman's club although that is not MY issue with the hotel--but in case you are travelling with small children it may be an issue

3. the bed linens smelled clean, however the comforter and blanket were quite old and not very clean (sort of what you'd expect for a very basic motel)

4. the room was actually ok for a very basic motel, BUT the chairs in the room look like they were found on the side of the road--this is because they have water damange. we discovered that the air conditioning unit drips water on the chairs and that is likely what causes this. The room was not equipped with a hair dryer (no matter what the website said), there were only two very small thin towels in the room, and the air conditioning unit was very loud and made the room VERY cold--no happy medium. It was an old, old unit.

5. The "24 hour" restaurant was not open at 8:50am on a Saturday morning in tourist season. it was open by 9:30pm. Its not a tropcial themed, cute restaurant by any means. There may be some bikers hanging out having a cup of coffee, or a few other travellers eating outside, but that's it. There was no mention of breakfast in bed in reality once you're there, but mysteriously, the reviews on trip advisor reviewed to people having this. Not sure about that.

Overall, there is nothing particularly wrong with this motel for the price and fairly close (10 mins drive?) down Lundy Lane to the main tourist area, but the write-ups on trip advisor made me think it was a hidden gem and to me, it was not. It is very basic accomodation and for the money, you may actually be able to get something a little better. The staff is not particularly friendly and theme Tropical theme is non existant. If for some reason you need to stay at the motel, perhaps you are on a budget and wanting to go see the Falls, here is what I would recommend you bring with you:
1. towels--the ones provided in the bathroom are not adequate

2. sleeping bag--the sheets are clean but you won't want to use the blankets on the bed

3. earplugs for sleeping--to sleep alongside the loud air conditioning unit, the night time party-goers coming back from the strip club

4. club for your car--its not the safest part of Lundy's Lane. Again, I think families would be better off a bit closer to the tourist attractions if you could afford it and there are many other motels a bit closer Hey--you get what you pay for--and Niagara Falls may not be known for its hotels/motels, but let me tell you there are better one out there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank kwtraveller80
Reviewed 7 August 2008

I phoned the
Tropicana to make a booking for 3 rooms but was not given a confirmation
number. When I asked for one I was told I did not need one. A week later I
rang the Tropicana again to confirm my booking - I was told they did not have
the booking and all the information was taken again. Yet again I was told I did
not need a confirmation number!

We arrived after a long journey and were horrified when we pulled up at the
motel. it is dirty and extremely scruffy from the outside. One of the rooms
had a large pile of car seats outside! It is right at the end of Lundys Lane
and not a very nice area.

My family said they were not prepared to stay here and would rather sleep in
the car.

I went to check in to the motel only to be told that they did not have my
booking and there were no available rooms. We left the motel with great relief
and for a few dollars more stayed down the road at a very nice place.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family