“What a wonderful "hidden gem"”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My husband and I stayed there for three nights, this past August. We loved it! I had done a lot of web searching to try and find a great place for us to stay in the Falls - that didn't kill the budget! I had also checked out Niagara-on-the-Lake for something, found one place but even it could not match the Sterling. (I compared apples to apples)

Love the website for Sterling - was a great way to get a "feel" for the place - virtual tours are awesome way to show this! I always look for a virtual tour or a gallery of photo's. I also do a check on TripAdvisor for reviews and other photos.

Then --- I took a look at what was being offered in the price (compared to other hotels) Free parking - bonus!! (considering it is $20 - $25 everywhere else) Free wi-fi all the way through the building! Other places were charging for internet (and these extra costs really DO add up!) "Breakfast in bed" - this they do need to improve on - great touch - just a tad sketchy! But it also saved us money - but made for a nice start of the day.

LOVED the bathroom - HUGE! Loved the steam shower - was the first time I had ever seen or used one! After walking all day and evening, hiking through the Gorge and Niagara Glenn, doing wine tours, and countless times up and down Clifton Hill - the steam shower (and a glass of wine) was a godsend! The water was always hot, the shower area itself is amazing - all glass and glass door - ceiling to floor! The products they supplied for toiletries were from the Spa - wish now I had of taken advantage of the $25 Spa Certificate! (another freebie and perk included in the price)

Another plus was that it is close to everything and we loved that fact - especially in the evening!) We could walk down to the Falls every night! We could walk to restaurants for lunch and dinner - without the hassle of trying to find a place to park (and the extra costs for that as well).

Concierge service is part of the package and don't be afraid to use this! It is located in the main lobby opposite the front desk. Hotel staff are amazing!

Our room was beautiful! Set up perfect - very clean (except for the stray dust Bunny under the bed) King size bed, working gas fireplace, two sitting areas, ample dresser and closet space, Coffee/beverage area: small fridge to use, sink and counterspace, coffee maker, and all the fixings! Lots of towels and toiletries - and best of all - geared to adults! My husband said it was the most comfortable bed he has ever slept in! Dark wood, hardwood floors, comfortable couch in the one sitting area, and comfortable leather chairs and small glass table in other sitting area up near the window. Nice desk area for laptop - near window as well.

The Inn itself was different - it is a remodled and revamped Milk dairy. Original beams! Original milk bottle as front entrance! (you have to see the pictures!) The restaurant (AG Cuisine) down in the lower level, and attached to the hotel, is cool! Red, black, and silver! We went for drinks on our last evening there. Next time we will have dinner there as it is rated the TOP restaurant in Niagara Falls and region! We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if at all possible and dont be afraid to use the Concierge service.
2  Thank CaseyJ62

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night because of its boutique hotel status. We stayed there on a Monday night and we disappointed but a few things. The rooms were pretty nice and well decorated and appointed, nice bathroom but we tried to order room service ( to simply have a cold drink as we settled in) and it was not possible. The restaurant was closed so no room service. We almost left then but were too tired. We ordered the in room breakfast for the next morning and it was very nice. However, it was delivered by a very nice maintenance man ( who sadly needed a change of clothes or a shower, you could literally follow where he been in the hotel through your nose). There was no official bell boy or room service delivery person. Again we thought this was kind of odd. We had planned to stay two nights but decided not too because it just wasn't living up to the moniker of a " boutique hotel". Yes, the neighbourhood was kind of sketchy. FYI - no view of Falls here. Wouldn't go back

1  Thank Worlddrummer
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This hotel is right off the main drag in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. It is still close enough to walk to everything. My impression of the place:

Free parking was great.

The exterior was fine. The neighborhood is kind of sketch, a lot of run down properties around it. Just lock your car doors!

Inside is like a whole different world. The lobby is opulent, the rooms were superb. We got the standard one with a shower and were pleased. It's very well done inside. I have to say kudos to the builder/designer. The bed was very comfortable, too.

Free breakfast was very nice. It wasn't amazing, but come on people, they bring it to your room and it's all very edible. To the people who make fun of it: get over yourselves! It's a nice touch that makes the stay nicer.

My only complaint and the reason why I did not give this place 5 stars: customer service at the front desk. They were always busy. The person was on the phone every time I went to speak to them. It's great they are busy and popular, but make sure you have enough staff to cover the phones and people in front of the counter. Because the woman was so busy when I was checking out, she didn't charge the room to the right credit card like I had just asked her to. I was charged a foreign currency charge by my credit card company.

If that is my only complaint, you should obviously realize you will be safe and enjoy your time in this great hotel. I just hope management gets it together at the front desk.

Room Tip: If coming from America, check with your credit card companies to see which ones do not charge you a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scadventurer12
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel as it was the top-rated hotel in the Niagara Falls area. We wanted a hotel that more adult-oriented since it was a vacation to celebrate our anniversary and the Sterling Inn did not disappoint! The room was huge and included a jacuzzi as well as a fireplace with a little sitting area in front where we enjoyed breakfast each morning. The breakfast was a great way to start the day, although it didn't vary much at all and we were tired of it by our fourth morning. We had to stay an extra night due to Hurricane Irene and the staff was very accommodating allowing us to stay in the same room.
Other bonuses with the hotel were that it was within walking distance of every attraction and restaurant we wanted to go to in Niagara Falls and the restaurant attached to the hotel (AG Cuisine) was outstanding!

1  Thank hfritzinger
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The location of the Sterling is pretty convenient, though certainly not as nice as some of the venues with Falls views. If you want Falls views, look at properties on the western side of the city like the Embassy Suites and stay away from the Clifton Hill section, as it is noisy and crazy at night there (of course, if that's what you're looking for...). The outside and lobby of the Sterling are somewhat unappealing, but the room was nice--very modern with a fancy jacuzzi tub and steam shower.

We booked a package room with a dinner included and we were really disappointed with the AG. It's supposed to be very innovative and gourmet, but it seemed that they were trying too hard. It was a fixed menu and there were few choices my husband was interested in, but the first problem was that my husband asked for a Margarita on the rocks and they said they couldn't make one. I could see their full bar from where I was sitting, so this puzzled me. When the person brought our drinks--I later saw that she was also the bartender--I said I was curious as to why they couldn't make a Margarita and she said it was because they didn't have a blender. I gently explained that a Margarita on the rocks does not require a blender--do you have a spoon at the bar by any chance? That was not an auspicious start.

My appetizer was kind of ridiculous--a chunk of watermelon--good melon, but hey, we eat that every week in the summer--sitting in what was supposed to be some kind of soup which amounted to about 2 soup spoons (had to tilt the bowl to get any of it) of what was just some kind of cinnamon tasting thick liquid. This was topped by 2 decent little shrimp that were really nothing special. I paid extra for my main course, which was off another special menu--Atlantic Chard and Pork Belly. They said they had to charge extra because the price of Atlantic Chard was really high--it was funny because at Luma's the next night in Toronto (yum!), the Atlantic Chard was the cheapest thing on the menu. We waited a very long time for the main course and when finally they brought it, they got my husband's completely wrong (flank steak instead of the pork chop he had ordered)--wow, that was frustrating. The table next to ours, which we couldn't see because of booth curtains, was complaining loudly that the wait for their food was unacceptable and the waiter justified it by saying the special menu was getting the kitchen backed up, but offered no real apology. When we finally got our corrected main courses, my chard and pork belly were so incredibly bland, I had to ask for salt and pepper. I cook quite a bit and my pork belly runs circles around theirs, which is not saying much for a "gourmet" restaurant. I guess my advice would be, if you stay at Sterling and want to eat at AG, steer clear of their fix menus. We had a much better lunch at the touristy Fallsview Restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kleary1
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife and I consider ourselves to have higher standards and expectations in hotels. Quite possibly the result of our honeymoon in St. Lucia (see my other reviews). With that said, a couple years ago we decided to get away just the 2 of us in Niagara Falls for some adult time. After vigorously searching all hotels in Niagara Falls, we were quite surprised to find the Sterling Inn. Photos of the rooms were immaculate and nothing we've expected in this area. Upon arrival we were directed to our room 110 which is one of their nicest suites - Two-Room Suite. We had originally booked a Deluxe. On their website it seems you can only book either a Standard or a Deluxe, and with our experience it seems that the Two-Room Suite falls into the Deluxe category if you're lucky.

First off, as you will know by now, parking at the Sterling is FREE! Considering most other hotels in the area charge for parking when you stay with them, it's the little things like this that starts to show how the Sterling values you as their guest. The room prices are very competitive. We're not worried about having a falls view as we live only 1-1/2 hours away and have been to Niagara Falls many many times before. So for us, having a very nice and unique room was key. And let me tell you this, the photos you see on their website is what you get. The rooms are amazing! Very clean, well kept, modern and just plain classy. The beds are firm, pillows are great, and plenty of towels. Room lighting is adequate with enough to give you options of having it low for more intimate moments. The hotel is very quiet. We never heard any neighbours at any time of the day or night. It's one of, if not the best couples hotel in Niagara.

Our room had a Jacuzzi tub with a sliding panel window to bedroom looking at the king size bed. You can request a room with either a steam shower (equally great) or a Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi suites also have a separate glassed shower. As we've now stayed at the Sterling about 3-4 times now, we'll no longer request but just take what they give us. One thing to note though, the Jacuzzi when operating is quite loud, but that's to be expected though. And it automatically goes into a cleaning cycle about 60 minutes after you initially turn it on. There are 2 flat panel TVs mounted on the walls in the room. One in the entrance room and one viewable above the fireplace from the bed. Everything about these rooms are very well looked after and nice.

Another great thing about this hotel is that it is directly beside the Greg Frewin Theatre. That makes it very convenient should you choose to view his world renowned magic show. Which I definitely recommend! Absolutely amazing! I'll do up a review for that separately.

Breakfast is included! It just keeps getting better eh? The night before, you fill out a card and hang on your door. You can choose from a variety of items all of which are freshly made and delivered to your room at your requested time.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to book another stay here. See so for yourself. The staff is great and shows genuine interest in their guests. Each of our stay here have met our expectations and more.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThaiM
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Location: walking distance to Falls, but in a pretty seedy area.
Indoor public spaces: practically nonexistant
Outdoor public spaces: none; would have liked somewhere to sit and enjoy the weather
Staff: not outwardly unfriendly, but not actively friendly or welcoming
Room: Not bad; steam shower was nice but we requested a tub
Housekeeping: They only clean what they can see while walking around the room; Layers of dust just out of site; ball of someone else's hair appeared in the bathroom 1/2 way through our stay.
Breakfast: Good idea in concept, but not in execution; The only options were coffee vs tea (though 1 tea bag is not enough for 2 people) and apple juice vs orange. The "chef" selected the egg dish. Twice it was a little quiche that was OK. Once was a hard boiled egg (no S&P though). Chef's choice? Chef was lazy. Throw in some yogurt, granola (only when they had it in stock), a croissant, and slices of meat and cheese, and that's breakfast. Not creative, and definitely tiresome after 3 days.
Spa: Didn't partake, but would have liked a pool. What kind of spa doesn't have a pool?
Restaurant: This may be the best in town, but compared to dirty Indian restaurants and all the chains your heart desires, is that really a compliment? The chef's combinations of ingredients were odd. And the food was a poor value. I'm used to paying those prices for very good food and service in DC. Especially when hotel guests in jeans with crying babies are at the next table over. Fine dining this is not.

1  Thank ItsJustMe0225