“Very Disappointing Experience”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We went to this hotel this past weekend, I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were positive for the most part, plus it was listed as a four stars.

When we arrived the neighborhood directly around the hotel was a little run down, to the point that I thought the Navigation system had made a mistake. We parked at went in to check in, the hotel itself was nice when you walked in and we were able to get our room keys quickly from a very helpful attendant.

We go to our room and it was good, a nice size, whirlpool tub and fireplace. They had put a lot of time and money into the hotel at one time but the down side was the little things. The wooden floor boards had been warped by people walking on them with wet feet, but instead of fixing the issue properly Sterling had screwed them boards down to the floor and it looked very bad and some of them were a hazard for hurting your toes. The bed was very firm, this could be just my preference but I had a hard time sleeping. The TV remote didn’t work properly, the channels and volume worked but not the power button.

The location was not what I had hoped for either because it was about a block from Clifton Hill. Great if you have children but I thought it was a bit closer the Canadian Falls and the Casino, but it was about a 10-15 minute walk though an iffy looking part of town. On the way back after dark we chose to walk down the hill, along the falls and up the hill again rather than walk that area at night. A shuttle service to the casino would have been nice.

In continental breakfast was included in our stay but it was pretty minimal and not done very well. It was a croissant, which was the highlight, good quality. Next was a yogurt, with cornstarch and a lot of added sugar. The eggs were listed as “Chef’s Choice” which was an over cooked hard-boiled egg. A weak and small portion of granola that tasted stale. Coffee rounded out the meal and it was good. To give some context, we ate the croissant had some coffee and then when out for breakfast. If this was any indication of the food served in the hotel restaurant I am glad we ate elsewhere.

The worst part of the weekend came when I went to check out. I booked the night before we left and I looked on at Sterling’s online site, which listed prices at $195 for a basic room and $220 for a higher-class room. I looked on some travel sites too and the prices were the same starting at $195. I called the hotel to make sure I could get a room on the second floor and the attendant quoted me price of $145 and I thought that was a good deal. I figured they were offering me this discount because an empty room doesn’t make them any money and I could book anywhere last minute. I walk up to check out and the bill listed the price as $245 as the price of the hotel room! I explained that I was quoted a price $100 less when I booked and there must be a mistake. The attendant told me there was no mistake and that was the price of the room, saying that I must have agreed to this price when I booked the room. I asked to speak to the manager but they were not in yet but I could come back later and he gave me their business card if I couldn’t wait. When we got back from breakfast, I went in again to speak to the attendant about the bill, explaining that on their own website it lists their most expensive room as $220 and online from third party sites I could book at $195, so why would I have agreed to pay $245? Hell for $245 I could have stayed at a much nicer hotel and room, with a great view of the falls! The attendant told me the manager had arrived to work and he when back to speak to them. The manager didn’t even come out to deal with me in person but instead allowed the attendant to walk back and forth between two different rooms several times before the agreed to lower the cost of the room to $195 and that this was an exception. What kind of manager can’t take a few minutes out of their day to deal with an unhappy customer? Isn’t that part of your job? Anyway I figured Sterling wasn’t going to honor the price they quoted me but it was the price I would have gotten had I book online and that was good as I was going to get.

Overall the room itself had some minor issues, but nothing that would have warranted a negative review in my mind. It was the service that we received, starting with the booking agent that didn’t enter the quoted price correctly in the computer system. The check out attendant that had no power to address the issue before the manager arrived. The absentee manager that couldn’t take two minutes out of their day to help resolve an issue with an client that assured me that I will never return to the Sterling Inn and Spa.

Room Tip: The floors are wooden and not well maintained in our room, I am sure the people on the first floor h...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Paul P

Reviewed 4 February 2012

This is the nicest hotel I have ever had the chance to stay at. The decor, the rooms, the service, the food, it was all superb.
We got a deal through steal the deal and upgraded our room to a jacuzzi suite. It was beyond beautiful! We didn't want to leave the room! In fact, we ordered room service from the AG restaurant. It was delicious!
We will be back :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I will preface this by saying I've been to Niagara Falls several times, so staying in a room with a view was not a priority. If you must have a falls view, keep looking. My husband and I stayed here back in September 2011. The room was phenomenal. We had both the steam shower and jacuzzi tub. After biking all day in Niagara-on-the-Lake, we took full advantage of both of them. Celebrated my husband's birthday at the AG Restaurant, which was also fantastic. The chef's tasting menu was to die for! My only knock on this hotel was the bed. It was the firmest mattress I've ever slept on. If you like softer beds, this hotel is not for you. If you don't mind or don't care, the Sterling Inn is a great value - huge rooms, close to the falls with free parking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We have stayed at a number of places in Niagara and this one is a little different.

I stayed here with my wife one Saturday in August when we were celebrating my 30th Birthday. We paid ~$200 for the room, which worked out to be about $100 less than any of the major hotels we've stayed at (Hilton, Sheraton, Fallsview, etc) when you take into account the free parking.

We arrived around 3pm – after lunch at a winery – and were able to check in no problem. We got a room with the steam shower. I was immediately impressed at the size (and newness) of the room. Huge! Big King Bed, Flat Screen TV, lost of storage. There was also a kitchenette with a mini-fridge. Wifi in the room was a little spotty. The only thing the room doesn’t have is a view. If that’s important to you – stay somewhere else.

I can’t comment on housekeeping, as we only stayed the one night. Didn’t use the spa or eat at the restaurant either. This hotel doesn't have a pool either.

We went for Dinner at the Keg near the falls, and then to Fallsview Casino to play. It’s a bit of a walk (10-15 mins), but we didn’t find the location to be a major problem.

You need to pre-order breakfast the evening before, including what time you would like to be served. I think I chose 8am, and when the knock came at the door I was still in bed. There was a lot of fumbling to find a tip – as you can imagine after at night in the Casino...
The free breakfast is a huge plus for this hotel – and it’s really good too.

To summarize: Great Room, OK Location, No View, No Pool, Free Parking, Free Breakfast,
$200/night = Good Value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MikeInThornhill
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sterling Inn last September. I found a group deal for two nights incl. breakfast, sparking wine with choc. dipped strawberries upon arrival, and a $50 credit at their AG Restaurant for a really good price.

It had a nice location just off the strip and a nice walking distance to the falls. The concierge was friendly and the room was very modern and one of the biggest one we've been to so far. The bathroom with a jacuzzi was bigger than the size of the bedroom. Breakfast was typical but the dinner at the restaurant was very nice. The waiter even offered us some amuse bouche to start of our dinner and the creme brulee is a must try. Overall our experience was phenomenal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank krys04
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Our experience with Sterling Inn has been absolutely wonderful. We have been there twice and will continue going there. I have nothing negative to say about Sterling Inn . I also should mention There resteraunt AG is one of the best fine dinning places I've been to. I highly recommend there beef tenderloin it was to die for, and I'm not a big fan of meat.

Room Tip: Delux rooms
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Franca K
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Sterling Inn & Spa back in November 2011 and overall it was a positive and memorable stay. The room that we stayed in does feel a little run-down since the hardwood flooring was squeaking when walked on and does not seem very clean, complimentary slippers would be good but none were provided. The in-room heater/fan was also too loud. But the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a good size since we upgraded to get the whirlpool tub. Every morning a breakfast is delivered and the amount of food they provide is adequate. The staff were a bit unfriendly though. We also had dinner at the AG restaurant on site and it was also very good, the ice wine martini is delicious! Overall, for the price we paid (via Living Deal) we enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple