“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had a first floor regular room with a steam shower. The room was good-sized, modern, and very clean. Nice romantic feel for a couples getaway. Everything in the room was well done, from the art to the beautiful bathroom sink. The steam shower was great after a long day on the road. The side jets didn't seem to work, but they weren't really needed, so we didn't mention it. The rainshower fixture and the steam were heavenly.

The location was an easy walk to the falls, while still being a little out of the way and quieter than being in the Clifton Hill area.

We were not able to visit the restaurant during our visit, so I can't comment on the food, but the menu looked wonderful. The free breakfast was good, nothing spectacular, but it was great to have it delivered to the room, and it was exactly on time. Overall, it was a much better experience than I expected for such a reasonable price. Really lovely.

A few cons (and all these are super picky)--the wood floors were beautiful, but a bit noisy and creaky. It would have been nice to have a rug under the bed area. (I had read from other reviews that floor noise from the 2nd floor might be a problem, but we didn't hear anything.) The bedding (comforter, not sheets) had small stains on them. This wasn't particularly noticeable, since the room is dark--but it seemed out of place in such an impeccable room (and easy to fix). We could have used accessible outlets closer to the beds. Also, the bed was a little hard for me, but this is a personal preference. Also, water was available in the room, but priced at $4 a bottle, which seemed a little steep.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, and we'd definitely consider staying there again, for longer next time so we could experience the restaurant and spa amenities.

1 Thank twest42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with this place for my 30th birthday. It was fantastic! Our room was HUGE and gorgeous. The shower turned into a steam room which was awesome. The room was so nice we were happy that there was a big snow storm as an excuse to just stay in our room and enjoy the king size bed and the fireplace. I loved this place. The breakfast in bed was a nice touch, too! It included: quiche, croissants, yoghurt, granola, cheese, deli meats, some fruit and juice and coffee.
I would/have recommended this place and will go back with my girlfriends next time we visit the falls (even though it's a couple's place..)

Room Tip: Balconies are HUGE
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Misfit21
Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Wow! I work in tourism and am a bit of a "hotel snob" but I was pleasantly surprised at this property. It's smaller then most hotels in the area but what it lacked in size it made up for in comfort and style. The restaurant and bar were amazing to! As per other peoples reviews the beds were firm - but not a "cheap" firm. The bedding was so nice and the room huge I slept very well. My only negatives - keeping in mind I'm a "hotel snob" the TV was a bit small for the space allocated, there were not any "full black" out curtains (they only covered a third of the window) and the side body jets in our shower were not working properly - no I did not mention this to the staff as I'm sure if I had they would have seen to it as they to were very friendly and accommodating. One additional recommendation would be for management to invest in a canteen or vending machines for that late night snack. I will be staying here again foresure!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juicyfruitToronto
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked a second floor suite with a steam shower. The room was huge, attractive and comfortable. Our neighbours were very noisy and woke us up one night but hotel staff dealt with it immediately. The breakfast is very nice. We would return to this hotel.

3 Thank GJW71
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sterling Inn for our honeymoon. It is in a nice location, about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the Falls. It wasn't tourist season during our stay, but we were still impressed with how quiet the hotel and surrounding area was.

The Sterling gives a modern, romantic feel with its clean decor and quality amenities. We booked a Jacuzzi room, and thought it was the best hotel Jacuzzi we had ever used. There was also a large, modern shower and an electric fireplace in our room. The room was very big, with a closet, dresser, three nightstands, a table and two chairs, king-sized bed, big flatscreen tv, and of course the huge bathroom.

The bed itself was the biggest disappointment. The mattress felt like a rock, and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. If the hotel had cost more, we would have complained. The breakfast was slightly disappointing. You get to choose when you want breakfast delivered (between 7 and 10 am), which was very nice. However, eating the same selection of yogurt, ham, cheese, mini ham and cheese quiche ("chef's choice eggs"), apple, orange, and butter croissant got a bit boring. The croissants were surprisingly good, though!

The hotel restaurant, AG, was very good. I ordered the beef tenderloin, and it was by far the best meal I had on our trip. My husband ordered the rabbit, which was pretty good. The restaurant itself has the same modern elegance as the rest of the hotel, and the restaurant staff was very helpful.

The spa was also very nice. We got a couples massage and mud bath. The massages were very relaxing, although a bit inconsistent. The mud bath made our skin feel really good. The staff was very nice, and we never felt rushed at all.

Overall, if you are looking to save a little bit of money and like the idea of not having to leave or go far from your hotel, you should try the Sterling. If you require a quality mattress, you should consider booking elsewhere.

2 Thank Melissa W
Verona, Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Really enjoy our stays in this unique hotel.......rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bathroom is magnificent....large jacuzzi and wonderful shower
Free internet is also a plus. Do not miss the restaurant......worth the trip to Niagara Falls

Room Tip: Enjoy the great retaurant
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa B, General Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2017
What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are elated to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,
Lisa Baumgartner
toronto
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was mine & my husband's first time at this hotel. We decided to go on a weekend getaway before the birth of our 3rd child. I was 8 months pregnant and the location was awesome, we could walk everywhere. We had just a standard room but was it was huge, complete with a separate living area and a steam shower. Parking was free which is always a plus, and the complimentary breakfast in bed was a really nice touch.

Staff was nice & attentive. We had a couples massage done at the spa which was wonderful but their prices were a little more than other spas. We also ate at AG restaurant inside the hotel which was absolutely incredible!! That was one of my most favourite meals.

We are already planning our return at Sterling for the summer!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa B, General Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2017
I'm so happy to hear you getaway was a success! We truly feel we provide the ultimate romantic getaway and I'm thrilled we were able to accomplish this for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,