“Gorgeous place, small flaws, hard bed.”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto, Canada
“Gorgeous place, small flaws, hard bed.”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Let me start by saying we come to Niagara 5 - 10 times a year. This is our first time in five years staying here; we usually stay at the Hilton, the HoJo or Marriott hotels.

I was surprised with a weekend here for my birthday, this hotel was always on our bucket list but we could never find a good deal for it. We had a package with dinner. breakfast in bed is included and we also had a room with a large 3 person Jacuzzi.

PROS
- the room we had was HUGE. We almost had to shout to each other if we were on opposite ends.
- The Jacuzzi was so relaxing, had so much room to move around in as well.
- The rain shower....I did not want to leave it. I now require one at home, I have been spoiled.
- The staff were always pleasant, kind & helpful
- The room was beautifully decorated.
- Something that amused me was their pop machine accepted credit cards, which is great because it's hard to amass a pocket full of change in this day.
- We had dinner at the AG, it was delicious!!

CONS
- the "breakfast in bed" was the same thing everyday. Looking through the instagram hashtag #sterlinginn it appears to be the same breakfast they have been serving for over 60 Weeks!! We would have liked a little variety. The food is sparse, I was very excited for this part of my morning as I'm a breakfast addict....it was so very disappointing.

- the bed is SO HARD. My boyfriend enjoys firm mattresses and even he had problems with this one. My hips and neck were stiff after two nights of trying to sleep on this bed. The Howard Johnson across the street has better mattresses.

- the room itself has clearly seen better days. Deep scratches on the floors, severely warped floors, lampshades that had been turned so you couldn't see the damage they have sustained immediately. The bar fridge is a nice touch but we had to use the freezer portion to keep anything remotely cold. Your first impression you feel like this room has been modernized and spruced up....it's when you settle in you notice all the little details.

- hair. there was hair in our bed, in the Jacuzzi, on our breakfast tray, rolled into our napkins.......could have just been a one off or maybe their staff needs to invest in better hairnets.

OVERALL
I would come back, I would not splurge for a package and I probably would just refuse to get the breakfast - I'd really only come back if I could be guaranteed a softer bed. It really is a gorgeous place with such nice people. It's the inanimate things that need a bit of a renovation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JennRab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I were looking for a getaway for our 20th anniversary and what drew us to Sterling initially was the flexibility of various packages. I was looking for a wine tour and found Sterling via Google. Beyond the great tour (Niagara Vintage Wine Tours) we really liked our room and the AG restaurant and complimentary breakfast (all part of the same package). AG did a great job with both the menu and the wine pairings. All staff were excellent from front desk to restaurant. A very short walk to Clifton Hill to see the fireworks (Fridays and Sundays) and a bit of the night life capped off the day perfectly. Bed was comfortable, jacuzzi bath. Everything was very modern and clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa B, General Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2017
What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are elated to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,
Lisa Baumgartner
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

First let me preface this by saying that we'd stayed at Peninsula Inn prior to coming to Sterling. It was like 15 miles outside of downtown/the falls, so in short it was fine, but for ~$15 more per night I'd really rather stay at Sterling. It's trendy, perfectly outfitted with a fireplace, coffee, icebox and breakfast made to order; did I mention free wifi, parking and walkable to the falls.

Also they have a full service spa.
WHAT A DEAL!!

2 Thank Loreal S
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Amazing hotel considering no fallacies rooms.. Stayed for our first wedding anniversary and couldn't be happier.. we got an upgrade upon check-in to a 2 room suite with jacuzzi.. Suite is breathtaking. Love it!

• Stayed May 2014
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This Hotel was fantastic weekend getaway for a cold winter day but any day would be nice there. The rooms were loft setting with fireplace and some rooms had Jacuzzi tubs in room. The rooms were huge, clean and private. We got this Hotel on a deal that came up but even without the deal this Hotel delivers. They even go all out and bring you breakfast in bed, food was good not amazing but come on you don't even have to leave your room. Parking was free and attractions were close. Really recommend booking a massage while you stay, this is done separate from hotel booking but they will pass you on to the contact. I really recommend this Hotel for couples. I was in a King room and there was a Steam shower. This Hotel was Great!

Room Tip: All seemed good, there isn't that great of a view anywhere. Location is older part of Town.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I truly loved this hotel from the moment we walked in, til the moment we left. We initially booked the regular King room, but they upgraded us to the larger room with two Queens, fire place, jacuzzi, couch, and pull out bed (really the works). The room was beautiful and spacious! We had ample room and the the bathroom was amazing!!!. The jacuzzi which fit two larger adults really help set the mood for my birthday( very romantic). The breakfast in bed was a nice touch, while it didn't fill us up it definitely help get the day started.
This hotel was a little walk away from the falls, but not too far. It is really helpful that they do not make you pay for parking since it seemed as though every where else made you pay. Especially since it is right by Clifton Hills which I definitely a blessing. You would want to take full advantage of the location. I want to and plan come back to the falls another vacation, and when I do there is no doubt where I am staying:)

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

It was so beautiful here. Very romantic, breakfast in bed every morning. Beautiful king size bed, tub big enough for two, and steam shower! Everything was very clean and staff was professional and helpful. Very affordable. Away from the busy main streets with tourists, but only a 5 minute walk to the main strip and restaurants/ sites. This is the only place we will stay when we go to Niagara.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa B, General Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2017
I'm so happy to hear you getaway was a success! We truly feel we provide the ultimate romantic getaway and I'm thrilled we were able to accomplish this for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,