“Wow..highly recommending this Inn!”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
United States
“Wow..highly recommending this Inn!”
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Value: A friend of mine knew my spouse and I were heading to Niagara Falls for a romantic getaway and found us an Expedia deal of $71.00 + tax per night which was almost $40 less than the Inn's official website price. We put the money we saved toward "Niagara Falls & Great Gorge Adventure Passes" that we bought on niagaraparks.com.
(P.S. Don't miss the Butterfly Conservatory... it's amazing!)

We arrived at the Inn at 11:30 am and was told by the desk clerk that check-in is at 4pm. (Why does check-in at hotels seem to be getting later and check-out earlier?!) However, they did offer to hold our luggage until we returned. We asked for a room with a whirlpool tub and was told none was available until the next night, but it would be an additional $50.00 for the suite with the tub. We passed on it since we were only staying two nights.

Extra Value: Free parking. Also, complimentary breakfast in bed.

Location: The Inn looks like it's located in a commercial area which makes sense since the building used to be a milk factory. While I would not personally feel safe walking in the area by myself, I was okay with my spouse. It's only one block over and then a couple of blocks to walk to the Falls.

Dining: There was a card similar to a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign to hang outside your room on the door handle by 6pm the previous night to let them know what time you want the complimentary breakfast in bed delivered the next morning. Breakfast consisted of (one per person) a croissant, yogurt with granola, a piece of fruit (we got a banana and orange), one rolled slice of deli meat and cheese and for beverages a choice of coffee, tea, apple juice or orange juice. It was enough of a filling meal that we didn't eat dinner until 3pm that day. There is a dining room but it was closed on Monday.

Room: Ample sized room with wood floors and generous space for the two of us to get around the furniture...lots of furniture: two cushioned chairs and a glass top table and a padded bench at the foot of the bed. Directly across from the foot of the bed was a red painted working (not woodburning) fireplace and there was a small built-in desk to the left of the fireplace. Also there was a bend in the room that separated the bedroom from the kitchenette that contained a tall dresser and a 3-4 foot tall floor lamp.

Our room was on the second floor and had a small balcony with two iron chairs and a table. Our view was of a parking lot and the top of the tall hotels that were several blocks away closer to the Falls. Thick room-darkening drapes covered the door leading to the balcony.

The kitchenette had a mini fridge, coffeemaker and sink but it would have been great to also have a microwave.

The tiled bathroom was extremely clean. The vanity had a glass top with shelves underneath and the huge walk-in shower had a rain shower head, four wall jets and a button to push for steam. We called for some washcloths and a member of the cleaning crew brought them up still warm from the dryer. The soap, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion were coconut-lime scented. Oh, and two bathrobes were folded and laying on the bed when we arrived.

Service: The young desk clerk was kind of snippy with us about the check-in time when we arrived but we didn't let it affect our stay.

Cleanliness: Every time we walked through the hotel and lobby we would see two people cleaning. They did a great job because the Inn was spotless and they were friendly and helpful.

2 Thank Up2lateagn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I cannot say enough good things about the Sterling Inn and Spa. My wife and I stayed there for our four year wedding anniversary and we could not have been happier. From the moment we pulled in the parking lot I was impressed. The hotel is very unique and is within short walking distance of all the Niagara attractions. The area feels safe and is quiet compared to the surrounding areas.

When we went to check in we were informed that we had been upgraded to the deluxe suite for no extra charge and for no apparent reason. The room was unreal, it was like a one bedroom apartment with a mini-bar area, two flat screens, fireplace, and an amazing bathroom with the steam shower. The steam shower was awesome and my absolute favorite part of the room. The only downside is that we were directly adjacent to the lobby so it could get a little noisy at times, but I always sleep with earplugs so I didn’t mind/didn’t notice.

Besides the room being exceptionally nice I was actually most impressed with the service and the staff. I have never in my life experienced such amazing service from the concierge as I did at the Sterling Inn and Spa. When we checked in the gentleman at the concierge desk asked why we were there and was very friendly. Later on when we asked about dinner he took out a map, asked us questions, and recommended an excellent Italian restaurant. We thanked him and headed on our way. When we got to the restaurant we had a table waiting for us and the hostess at the restaurant wished us a happy anniversary because the concierge had called ahead. It continued like that all weekend, great recommendations for activities and restaurants and personal attention above and beyond what I’ve come to expect from “Hotel Hospitality”.

The Niagara Falls area is also amazing and it is a beautiful, short, drive to wine country. One of the nice things about staying at the Sterling Inn and Spa is the connections they have with the wine areas and various wineries. They have vouchers for some wineries that offer free wine tastings and discounts on bottles wine and access to tours. My wife and I went to a few wineries but found the Inniskillin Winery to be the most honest and authentic, with the best ice wine.

We did go to the Ag restaurant, which, is associated with the hotel and it was okay. Ag serves gourmet cuisine and I don’t do gourmet so I can’t really comment. If I had to say anything about gourmet cuisine it is that the quality of the food is most likely inversely proportional to how hungry I am after dinner and I was starving after I ate at Ag, so it was probably and amazing gourmet restaurant.

Another nice feature about the hotel was that they bring breakfast to your room every morning. It is a very light and healthy breakfast, which, is a nice way to start the day. If you expect an all you can eat buffet from Denny’s you will be disappointed, but if you appreciate fresh fruit, yogurt, and deli meat you will be just fine. We did not utilize the spa so I cannot comment about that either but there was a nice workout facility if you wanted to get some cardio work in or some light weights. It was much nicer than most hotel gyms but it is still a hotel gym.

Overall, I enthusiastically recommend the Sterling Inn and Spa to anyone in the Niagara area and I hope your experience is as good as ours.

1 Thank jwhetzel6338
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Just awesome! Booked room on Expedia.com well under the going rate. Room was top notch. Breakfast in bed every morning. Short walk to dining and entertainment (Clifton Hill). They will put a hefty hold on your credit card so take note. All and all a very nice and worth while place to stay.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 14 October 2009

My review is long overdue...My husband and I stayed here for an anniversary trip and loved our room. We had a 2 room suite w/ jacuzzi tub and fireplace. The room was large, clean, and I love how it was decorated. It was a great value - We got a great room for a decent price (for Niagara Falls!). We really appreciated the free parking and breakfast. It's enough to start the day, w/ coffee, fruit, yogurt, croissant and deli-style meat. The bed was hard, but I actually slept really good there. The location is ok; it's an easy walk to Clifton Hill and many restaurants. The Falls are a longer walk, but we did it. The walk down Clifton Hill and the parkway was nice. Be sure to visit some Niagara wineries while you're there!! The Niagara Parkway is a beautiful drive.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Mountain View
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Sterling Inn was a beautiful unique hotel. It could have been one of those places you never forget, except it rated only 2 out of 5 in cleanliness. However the restaurant AG was truely unforgettable.

Puerto Rico
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed there from September 21-25 as a Niagara Fall's first timer. For me, the location was the best, just a 7 minutes walk to the Falls, and a 1 minute walk to the tourist trap (aka Clifton Hill). The breakfast service was excellent, since you can select at which hour you want it delivered to your room. The hotel surroundings might not be the prettiest, but Its not the ugliest either. Regarding the inside of it, the lobby was nice, the room and bed was very comfortable, the AC was great. I would recommend it with no doubts at all.

usa
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel was very clean and you get free breakfast. Is in walking distance to the falls.
I strongly recommend the magic show next door to the hotel
GregFrewinTheatre.com and if you are honeymooning take along your marriage license and stop by the tourist office and you can get a honeymoon package and get half off the brides ticket to the show.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple