“Perfect for a Honeymoon or couples getaway”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Although it's not a high-rise hotel view a view of the falls I would definitely say it is the best hotel to stay at in the Clifton Hill/ Falls area, about a 10-15 minute walk from the Maid of the Mist. And let's face it, you're not likely to go to Niagara Falls without seeing the falls!

My husband and I stayed here during our Honeymoon. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted and checked-in within 5 minutes.The staff is very friendly and offered to help bring in our luggage from the car. The room was HUGE, it included a closet with a safe, a mini fridge and microwave, king size bed, desk, fireplace, bed-side 2 person spa tub and a walk-in jet/rainfall shower (and this was just a standard room!). Once we settled into the room we found our breakfast selection menu and filled it out, you choose from a list of options and hang it on the door for pick up. We walked over to The Keg for dinner then went back to the room for the night, we enjoyed a complimentary bottle of wine and hung out in the tub watching tv. Our breakfast arrived when expected and we were off for the day.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed 18 January 2011

My Wife and I stayed at the Sterling Inn on the recommendation of a friend. We were very happy with the hotel. It is not your typical Niagara Falls hotel. The building has been reclaimed from it's former use as a dairy, complete with a giant milk bottle shaped entrance. The exterior is a bit drab as it is all grey. But once entering the hotel, we were very pleased with what had been done with the interior and the rooms. The lobby and rooms are very nice and the restaurant, AG, is also very good. The Chef has taken the trouble to source local foods only and the menu is reflective of those choices. We had a wonderful dinner and will return to The Sterling Inn.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Majority of the reviews are positive. For me, I have had such a painful and dreadful experience that I will never come back again. My husband and I checked-in and we had a 3pm appointment at the spa. The staff at the spa did not look friendly at all . The lady did not offer us any tea or water. We had to ask and it was self-serve. My husband had a massage and I had a facial done. It was ok. The General Manager at the Spa helped me with my manicure, this is where it all went downhill. She was not qualified to do this.
She did not know what she was doing. She ended up cutting my nails so deep to the point where I started to bleed. I am still not fully recovered yet. The General manager first asked us to pay for the services in full. Afterwards, she said that she would will give us 20% off . She was very rude at the end. There was no remorse on her part. We wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.
We went back upstairs to the check-in desk to speak to the General manager of the hotel. The people at the front desk said that she was not in and that she will be back the next morning. We have left her a written note about the incident.
Let's talk about the room. I could not sleep for the whole night. First of all, the fake fireplace was causing a lot of wind noises and the small fridge had some strange noises, it had these clicking sounds every 10 minutes or so. The next morning we went to the check-out. We have asked to speak with the General manager again.
The person at the first desk said, she is sick, she will not be until the next day. She said that she will pass along this message and that once the General manager comes back she will give us a call. We were at the hotel on Dec 26, 2010 and today is Jan 15, 2011.
We never gotten a call back from her. We are very disappointed. We will never come back again. They have poor management and we don't recommend it to anyone.

5  Thank boxingday2010
Reviewed 12 January 2011

My daughter took me here for an overnight stay as a thank you and although I have stayed in Niagara Falls many times I had never heard about this hotel. It's off the main street but still only about a five minute walk from Casino Niagara. The staff were very friendly. The room we had which was a standard room was very spacious with a fireplace, a desk and a large king bed. The real treat was the shower that had jets out of the wall and it also turned into a steam room - which was really nice.
Free Internet.
They have a small spa where we had massage - wasn't fancy but ok.
We had dinner at their restaurant AG and it was superb and it was included in the overnight package.
Overall a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 10 January 2011

As any traveller knows, the world is a very big place, and life is short! I prefer to go to new and recommended places, with some exceptions. The Sterling Inn and Spa is such an exception. I am writing this review, as I was surprised to see a recent negative posting, and wanted to make a return visit before posting myself. My husband and I have been here a number of times, ususally to celebrate our January anniversary., and our visit last weekend did not disappoint. Here's what keeps us coming back: BIG rooms, no two alike - not your typical hotel box in size and decor, BIG bathrooms, BIG jetted tubs, separate shower (most very large), QUIET hotel, PRIVACY, fridge in room for our own bubbly, etc., LATE checkout (noon) and an AMAZING restaurant perfect for a celebration dinner right downstairs, with a very favourable package rate. There simply is no better combination in the entire Niagara area. Other features that appeal to us are hardwood floors, a window that opens, no-fuss free parking right outside, and a quiet neighbourhood. The immediate area of the hotel is nondescript, with the upside of having very little street noise. We've used the spa on previous visits, and found it excellent. We were frankly surprised by another poster who felt that dinner didn't include enough food, as our multiple experiences at AG Restaurant have been the complete opposite. The restaurant is NOT inexpensive - it's an upscale experience with the ambience and culinary quality to match - I believe menus and prices are included on the web site. In any case, there are many other restaurants in the area, some within walking distance. A little further afield, is the restaurant and wine information centre at Niagara College, which are also well worth a visit. There's a lot to do in the general area, and we will certainly come back to the Sterling Inn and Spa!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Stayed here January 1st to the 2nd, and everything went even better than expected.
I wanted to surprise my girlfriend, so I found this beautiful place ( I saw the rooms through the virtual tour and fell in love) Honestly it feels like you walk into a high class condo, not your regular boring hotel room. This has character!

Check in literally took 3 minutes, everything in the room was clean and set up so beautifully.
Hardwood floors, fridge + mini kitchen, 9 foot ceilings, the bathroom is unbelievable.
Huge glass shower with jets on the side, a beautiful 2 person jacuzzi, gorgeous king size bed. You have a choice of when you want your breakfest, and we picked between 9:45-10. Breakfest came right on time and was awesome!

Plus side of it also, free parking (which a lot of hotels you don't get), and free internet.

Overall the price was even less than you would pay for regular rooms at hilton or some other places, and the place was way better. You were 1 min walk away from the main street too.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alpwhite46
Reviewed 26 December 2010

This is branded one of the Preferred chain of hotels and resorts. While it's OK, it sure doesn't fit the brand. I've stayed in both of the other Preferred properties in Ontario .. ARC The Hotel in Ottawa, and the Soho Metropolitan in Toronto.

The Sterling Niagara simply isn't in that league.

"Niagara's only boutique hotel" misses it "by that much".

Check in is fine. Free parking. Location is not the greatest, but actually very close to the Falls. The building was originally a dairy ... marked by a giant concrete milk bottle. "What? It's still there?" Yeah. The dairy closed eons ago. Guess they think it's quaint.

The room is very large, but misses the little touches. No glasses in the bathroom. Two beer glasses in the bar, that's it. We asked for glasses. Nope, not available.

King size bed meant no bedside table on one side and very limited space to access the bed. Reading lights built into the headboard ... BUT, one not working. When asked, staff replied "There aren't enough circuits in the room to use that extra light."

We travel everywhere, all the time, and this is the very first time we were LECTURED for using tea candles around the "jetted tub".. By the self-important housekeeping supervisor. Tea candles. Two of them. Two. In the aluminum housing. Sitting on the ceramic tile surround.

Oh, don't get me started how they should have included a step UP into the tube. I'm 6 foot plus and it's all I could do to get into the tub.

What????

And it's air jets, not a whirlpool jet tub. Blows air rather than pumping water.

Room lighting is horrible... instead of recessed mini-pots they installed awful CFL lights. Horrible. How about a floor lamp or two instead?

The "fireplace" is fake. I'll gladly take natural gas. Enjoy that at home. This is one of the crappy electric ones. Turned on high you can barely see that it's "on".

Wireless internet worked great. But I had to stand on my head under the desk to plug in the power cord for the laptop.

The HD TV was OK, but could not read the labels on the remote. Worn off? Whatever!!!!! Had to turn the whole thing off and start all over again ... boutique?????

No heat in the bathroom. Freezing in there. I bet someone said that with the exhaust fan on it would draw enough heat from the room.

NOT!

Use the shower and the bathroom floor is flooded because the door is in the wrong place, swings the wrong way, and isn't fitted properly. Body jets in the shower are clogged up and don't spray properly. Boutique????

No light in the shower. Dark, dark, dark.

No softener used with the towels. In a 'boutique' hotel I expect soft, plush.

"Breakfast in bed" was good, though. Continental. Juice. Coffee. Hardboiled egg or mini-quiche depending on the kitchen. Croissant, slice of ham and cheese for each person. Delivered to the room at the time you select the night before.

So, it's OK .... okay ... but since it CLAIMS to be a boutique AND "Preferred", it needs some work to live up to that description.

Until that happens, it doesn't get my recommendation.

Next time we'll be going back to the Hilton or Doubletree.