I stayed at this hotel for one night in early January with my girlfriend for a weekend getaway. We chose the Sterling because she had stayed there about a year ago and LOVED it. Sadly our second experience was much worse.
The short version is: Unfriendly staff, FILTHY disgusting room, messed up reservation, and no response to complaints.
The long version:
We arrived around 8 pm on a Sunday night. Given that I guess this is off-season, the hotel was very clearly almost empty. During our entire time there we only saw one other guest, and the parking lot was 95% empty. Despite this, when we tried to check in we were told that the room with a jacuzzi that we had reserved was not available, and we could have one with a steam shower instead, unless we wanted to pay for an upgrade. While it is true that their website clearly states such preferences are not guaranteed, I have a very had time believing no jacuzzi rooms were available given that the hotel was empty.
After we arrived at the room, things went from bad to worse. The room was just gross, and had clearly not been cleaned or prepared for our arrival.
*** The toilet seat had the previous guest's diarrhea stains and pubic hair sprinkled on the seat - sorry for the mental image, but at least you aren't staying there.***
Furthermore, there were hairballs and dust bunnies everywhere. The floor was so filthy that I literally threw out my socks into the garbage after one night there because I doubted that they would wash out.
Which brings me to the next point - my socks had to get so dirty because hardly any of the convenience items you expect at a hotel (especially one as nice as the Sterling is supposed to be). No hair combs, no slippers, etc. I was amazed we even had soap and shampoo.
The overall state of the room, aside from dirty, was poor. The bed was not comfortable at all, and the hot water for the bathroom sink was entirely broken, so we washed and brushed our teeth with ice cold water in January.
Needless to say, the highlight of our trip was that it was only a one night stay.
We filled out the comment card with all of our concerns and mentioned to the check out clerk that we had had many issues - but we got barely an apology, no offer to remedy the situation, and never received any followup from our comment card.
Overall, we were both extremely disappointed and amazed how far the hotel could go downhill in just one year since my girlfriend had stayed there. As I said, you can clearly tell it's MEANT to be a luxury hotel, but the current execution falls very very far from that promise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Niagara Falls' only Boutique Hotel the Sterling Inn & Spa is a fusion between a luxury hotel and a Fine Inn. From the tranquility of our full service spa, to our fine dining restaurant AG offering regional cuisine in a cool urban setting, the Sterling Inn & Spa is truly an experience in its self. With amenities and rooms that cater to couples, it is the perfect place for a honeymoon or romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Sterling Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sterling Inn And Spa
- Sterling Hotel Niagara Falls
- Sterling Niagara Falls
- Sterling Inn Niagara Falls