“You can tell it's supposed to be nice, but it was filthy and horrible.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Ontario
“You can tell it's supposed to be nice, but it was filthy and horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night in early January with my girlfriend for a weekend getaway. We chose the Sterling because she had stayed there about a year ago and LOVED it. Sadly our second experience was much worse.

The short version is: Unfriendly staff, FILTHY disgusting room, messed up reservation, and no response to complaints.

The long version:
We arrived around 8 pm on a Sunday night. Given that I guess this is off-season, the hotel was very clearly almost empty. During our entire time there we only saw one other guest, and the parking lot was 95% empty. Despite this, when we tried to check in we were told that the room with a jacuzzi that we had reserved was not available, and we could have one with a steam shower instead, unless we wanted to pay for an upgrade. While it is true that their website clearly states such preferences are not guaranteed, I have a very had time believing no jacuzzi rooms were available given that the hotel was empty.

After we arrived at the room, things went from bad to worse. The room was just gross, and had clearly not been cleaned or prepared for our arrival.

*** The toilet seat had the previous guest's diarrhea stains and pubic hair sprinkled on the seat - sorry for the mental image, but at least you aren't staying there.***

Furthermore, there were hairballs and dust bunnies everywhere. The floor was so filthy that I literally threw out my socks into the garbage after one night there because I doubted that they would wash out.

Which brings me to the next point - my socks had to get so dirty because hardly any of the convenience items you expect at a hotel (especially one as nice as the Sterling is supposed to be). No hair combs, no slippers, etc. I was amazed we even had soap and shampoo.

The overall state of the room, aside from dirty, was poor. The bed was not comfortable at all, and the hot water for the bathroom sink was entirely broken, so we washed and brushed our teeth with ice cold water in January.

Needless to say, the highlight of our trip was that it was only a one night stay.

We filled out the comment card with all of our concerns and mentioned to the check out clerk that we had had many issues - but we got barely an apology, no offer to remedy the situation, and never received any followup from our comment card.

Overall, we were both extremely disappointed and amazed how far the hotel could go downhill in just one year since my girlfriend had stayed there. As I said, you can clearly tell it's MEANT to be a luxury hotel, but the current execution falls very very far from that promise.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TravelFanCaOntario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

The room was enormous and the king bed was verrry comfortable.
Highly recommend it as it had a european shower head on the ceiling and shower spouts on the wall... (8 foot shower!)
Breakfast in bed was lovely and everything was new!
Lots of space...for storage, nice TV, fire place, mini kitchenette and fridge.
Can't find a complaint at all - would go back for sure. Nice full length mirror strategically placed by the door.
Great for couples and girls for girls trips...maybe next time :)
AG resto was also a fab fine dining/casual experience connected to the hotel- perfect in the winter for those who don't feel like driving or leaving to eat.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Rockwood, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

Beautiful, spacious room, very modern. Jacuzzi tub big enough for 2 right in the room.
Gas fireplace, big T.V., bar fridge, w/f throughout for computers.
Breakfast in bed. Bed is also very comfortable. Great package deals available!
Lori & Peter, Rockwood, Ont.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

The great experience started with the reservations made directly with the hotel just the night before we were supposed to check-in. We had looked at all possible options, but at the very last minute, I found the most wonderful reviews on-line about this boutique hotel.

The reservations staff was very polite and accommodating and assured me that I would get a room with a jacuzzi as specially requested. I asked if it was possible to get an early check-in. They asked me to call in the morning.

When we arrived, not only did we get to check-in early, we were upgraded to a 2-BR suite. I loved everything about the hotel - tasteful decor, spacious and modern rooms, and the very hospitable staff.

The management and staff even sent us a greeting card and wine. What a nice touch ... it was after all, our fifth wedding anniversary.

The breakfast in bed was a luxury... we appreciate that they asked for preferences. However, I wish that the eggs were scrambled or sunny side-up... not hard boiled eggs.

My only regrets were not being able to try the spa as the RMT was not in on my free sked. Also, because we only stayed overnight, we didn't get to try AG restaurant as we've already made dinner arrangements elsewhere. We'll have to find another reason to be back there soon.

We'll definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends... it's so worth the stay.

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Stayed here 1 night because the hotel was sold out for 2 nights, it only has 41 rooms in total, it's very close to all attractions waling distance to the falls 15 - 20 minutes. I have stayed at many hotels in Niagara Falls like the Marriott, Hilton, Embassy Suites & Sheraton, I have paid $ 300 - $ 400 for suites with falls view and I think Sterling Inn is a hidden gem. Loved everything about it, the rooms are very big, the decor is amazing, bed super comfortable, we had a bathroom with a huge steam shower, beautiful fireplace in the room, the lobby in the hotel is very nice and so different from all of the hotels listed above, I was getting bored of hotels with one feel to them and was looking for something different & unique between Toronto & Niagara Falls ( one place in Toronto worth staying at is called Hazelton hotel, great location in Yorkville and amazing bathrooms but more $$$$ ) Sterling Inn has a lofty New York feel to it, great continental breakfast in bed included in all reates ( croissants, cheese, ham, 2 yougurts, 2 apples, coffe, tea, orange juice, oatmeal ) the rates are very reasonable, great place for couples just to get away for the weekend, can't wait to go back .

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

The room was modern, clean, and very comfortable. The bathroom is gorgeous and the fireplace adds the perfect amount of warmth and atmosphere. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. A fantastic value!

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Although it's not a high-rise hotel view a view of the falls I would definitely say it is the best hotel to stay at in the Clifton Hill/ Falls area, about a 10-15 minute walk from the Maid of the Mist. And let's face it, you're not likely to go to Niagara Falls without seeing the falls!

My husband and I stayed here during our Honeymoon. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted and checked-in within 5 minutes.The staff is very friendly and offered to help bring in our luggage from the car. The room was HUGE, it included a closet with a safe, a mini fridge and microwave, king size bed, desk, fireplace, bed-side 2 person spa tub and a walk-in jet/rainfall shower (and this was just a standard room!). Once we settled into the room we found our breakfast selection menu and filled it out, you choose from a list of options and hang it on the door for pick up. We walked over to The Keg for dinner then went back to the room for the night, we enjoyed a complimentary bottle of wine and hung out in the tub watching tv. Our breakfast arrived when expected and we were off for the day.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple