“Clean”
Review of The Olympia Motel

The Olympia Motel
Ranked #93 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Give this place a try its old but very clean the new owners are trying to bring this motel back. The pool is nice and clean .The rooms are priced very reasonable. The bed in rm33 was very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Awful123

Reviewed 6 August 2013

After reading the most recent reviews on here about The Olympia, my husband and I decided to book a stay there this past weekend (August 2nd, 2013). After finding out that we couldn't book online, I called the motel to make our reservation. The Lady on the phone was very amicable and friendly, she took our information. I had asked her if there was free parking and wifi, to which she replied yes to both. So we booked a "jacuzzi room" and were looking forward to a pleasant stay.

The only reason I am even giving this motel a three star rating is because of it's close proximity to all the Clifton Hill attractions and the "accomodating" attitude of the owners. Everything else is a complete "zero" for me....

We got to the motel at around 3pm, I went to the little office to check in, the lady (I assume an owner) at the check in, held up a calculator and said $129 for the room, plus tax, which she pushed a "tax" button on her calculator and came up with $149.50.... now, on MY calculator, $129.00 plus taxes (13% HST) totals $145.77, NOT $149.50.... I realize that is only a few dollars BUT why would you try and "fool" customers that way? I didn't say anything to her, I just let it slide. She then handed me our single key and a TV remote, and told me our room was "15". I asked her if there was a refrigerator in the room, to which she replied "Oh, my husband will bring you one in one hour"....

I was kind of chuckling to myself when I got back in the car with my husband to cross the parking lot to our room. My first impressions were still hopeful as the front desk reception was pleasant. We opened the door to our room, the first thing that hit me was the smell..... it was VERY musty and old smelling... My husband immediately went to turn on the AC to cool the stuffy room down. We had left the room door open when we went it and didn't realize that the Owner had followed us into the room. The AC wouldn't turn on so she started pushing buttons and trying different outlets, it finally turned on, but only blew out warm air, like a fan, no cold air whatsoever. We decided to give it time to cool down (it never did....). She then brought us extra towels and more "shower gel" about 6 packets of it, which I guess was to use in the Jacuzzi, I'm not sure. After she left, I got a good look at the room, wow.... talk about disappointment.... the four poster bed was from the 70's and looked like it used to be a waterbed with a mattress now fitted inside it. The wood on the bed from bottom to top was carved with peoples initials and little "sayings" some not so polite, most were fresh and dated 2013. The carpet looked like it was also from the 70's and never replaced, I didn't want to take my shoes off and walk on it as it smelled very funky and I could only imagine how much "debris" was hiding in there. The 21" large tube TV sat precariously on a lop sided stand that looked about to fall over at any time. My husband turned it on with the remote we were given at check in, it worked but the picture on every channel (about 10 in all) was very fuzzy and barely watchable. The brick wall that was one side of the room was painted yellow and just so very unappealing, BUT it was much better than the mirrors that seemed to cover the rest of the walls and CEILING over the bed! Cheese the the max! Long story (and night) short, it was a run down motel, with nice owners, close to attractions, but uncomfortable as heck and very "grimey" feeling.... Should have stayed at the Hilton for a few bucks more......

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed here for the first time under new ownership.Motel is way cleaner and the owners are very nice people.Give this place a shot.Prices are great and i think they will bring this place back to what it was before!

Room Tip: Room 24.Big room with window overlooking street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phil p
Reviewed 14 May 2013

If you want cheap and clean motel, you should go this place.The building is old but it is really clean. They cleaning the room every single time when I go out.
Plus, the Chinese(?) owner is really kind. If you arrive the place after midnight, this motel would be the only one motel open at that time. All the other motels turned their open sign, but I couldn't see anybody inside. If you want cheap price, the owner will make a deal for you. This place is the best place to stay who seeking for cheap + clean

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I have read the other reviews and can agree to a point. We have stayed at this motel for over thirty years. The owners are friends and we r emember when she was a little girl. We know that she is trying to sell the motel and it was getting run down so we were a little leary about staying there. We took a chance and the room we always stay at was pretty nice. New paint, new bed comforter and linens, rug looked scubed, new shower curtain. There was some dust. Since we don't spend much time in the room, it was ok with us. The swimming pool is very nice and kept clean. Don 't know what the other rooms are like since we always stay in the same room. The number is 37 if you are interested. We hadn't been there for 4 years so we were surprised that our room was better then the last time we stayed there. The owners are very wonderful people and will do anything for you.
As for the restaurants, do not eat at the New York New York Chinese Rest. It used to be good but changed hands and is terrible and also, t hey add a tip to the bill and don't tell you.
This motel is in a excellent place, nice pool and the sheets are clean.

Room Tip: The rooms on top by the pool are the newest and 37 is the room we always stay in. It has been a whil...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harleymama68
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The olympia is great for people on a budget.The rooms arent the best and the the place does need some work...espsecially the bathrooms but overall a decent place to stay.Its 1 block from clifton hill.The location is excellent but you get what you pay for with this motel.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are much quieter at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phil p
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We drove from Boston to Canada and aroung 11pm got super tired before the last leg of our trip so we decided to find a cheap room for the night. This place was the cheapest in walking distance to the Falls, but so sketchy. As the previous poster wrote, it was super dirty...I didn't take my shoes off either! I didn't even showere there. I also stripped the bed of most of its linens because I was unsure of what I would find.

The hotel propeiter was very nice, but the room was gross

I would recommend this for a cheap and dirty stay, if you don't care about the accomodations and need sleep for a drive.

PS- we also put a chair against the door because the door seemed really flimsy...yikes

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family