“Price is Right but DON'T Stay Here”

Motel 6 Niagara Falls
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Spokane
“Price is Right but DON'T Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Hotel is newer and nice looking as far as Motel 6's go. You had to give them a $200 damage deposit which should've been my first clue that something was wrong. My young daughter crawls into bed and feels something funny in the sheets, reaches down and pulls out a dead caterpiller. I pull back the sheets to examine and discover hair (and not the kind from your head, if you know what I mean). I go to the front desk, explain the problem and ask for another room. They are mildly apologetic and give us a new room which had clean sheets but a couple candy wrappers on the floors. The shower won't drain in the new room so I go back to the front desk to get the key to the old room so we can take showers there and then we go to bed (free high speed internet wasn't working).

At about 2 am, a couple of nearby drunken college kids had forgotten their key so they are banging on the door (not the hotels fault). THEN THE REAL FUN BEGINS. At 3 am, there is some sort of alarm (like a fire alarm) which goes off, followed by a garbled voice saying something which we couldn't understand - we wondered if it might be an evacuation order but heard no one leaving the building so we go back to sleep figuring perhaps we were dreaming. About 20 min later the same thing happens...still didn't know what was going on, only that we weren't dreaming. I thought about calling the manager and complaining but thought "what are they really going to do at this time of night other than move us" and the kids were still sleeping so we let it go.

Well the alarm and garbled voice (which we never did figure out what it was saying, perhaps it was in French?) went of at about 20 minute intervals a toal of 7 TIMES!!!!!

As you can imagine, we were quite tired and quite upset by the time morning came. When we told the whole dreadful story to the front desk clerk, she meekly said "oh dear, I don't think I can do anything about this, this is my first week on the job." So we ask to speak to the manager who of course isn't available so we get a phone number which we called the next day. That fellow listened to our story but wasn't apologetic and merely said he'd pass along our story to the owner and they'd get back to us. Would it surprise you if I said they never got back to us? Of course not.

So we called Motel 6 customer service who sent us a nice apologetic letter telling us that the hotel management would be in contact with us in 15 days. Would it surprise you to hear that that didn't happen?

BOTTOM LINE: if you don't like pubic hair and dead caterpillars in your bed, candy wrappers on your floor, drunken college kids staying next door, showers that don't drain, $200 deposits on your motel room, alarms going off in the middle of the night and completely unresponsive and unsympathetic staff and management, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

My family and I booked two rooms to stay in while racing in the Henley Regatta. The hotel canceled the rooms that had been reserved for weeks and called to let us know this 24 hours before, literally as we were packing to leave from Massachusetts for Canada. My main complaint is that I asked that they assist us in FINDING ANOTHER ROOM in the area and they said that they could not help us with this. There are other rooms available. This failure to provide assistance to someone they canceled is ______________ (fill in blank).

JL

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

could not believe how rude the receptionist was,how small the rooms were and was later charged 200 dollars because i was told that the room smelt like smoke when i dont even smoke it most likely it was who ever had the room before me,and when i spoke to the manager was basically told to bad. , .NEVER AGAIN WOULD I STAY IN THIS OR ANY OTHER MOTEL 6 NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS MOTEL TO AN ENEMY.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Belleville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I have stayed in this motel several times, and other times the service was mediocre at best but everything was clean and well kept so I continued to stay. This time however, the room we checked into had jujubes all through it, I thought gee they must not have cleaned very well, but figured only jujubes why cause a fuss. So I just picked them all up and we thought everything was fine. Until one of us sat on the edge of the bed and it broke. Yes I mean, sat, normally, on the side of the bed. The bed collapsed and must have been broken several times before as it was pressed paper and all crumbled. Went to the front desk, where the woman said "this happens all the time" and got us a new room. The new room smelled like vomit and while staying in the room I learned the man checking in in the next room found feces smeared all over the bed and walls. The high speed internet did not work well but at least was free. The swimming pool was dirty both times we attempted to use it. When I checked out Sunday I still thought maybe the hotel had been a victim of vandals or something but Monday morning they charged my credit card 200 dollars saying that I intentionally destroyed hotel property. In my eyes, a bed that cannot hold an adult sitting on it is dangerous and unsafe to begin with. When I contacted the manager he basically said too bad live with it, even though the desk agent had told me I would not be charged and not to worry about it. I stay in Niagara Falls at least 10 times a year and I will NEVER stay at this, or ANY other motel 6 as long as I live.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank destiny2009
buffalo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

When I arrived the women at the desk seemed pleasant. Until she could not find either of the rooms I had booked. Finally after giving her all the information numerous times she was able to find one of the rooms. At this point she became very rude, and she stated that I had made an error and there was no other room booked under my name. She gave me instructions to contact orbitz, I asked her if they had the internet so I could pull up the information and she stated " DId you bring a laptop?". (I'm sure there was a computer in that hotel that had the internet but, she was not helpful). The room she gave me was wrong. It had only one bed when I needed two. So, i contacted orbitz.. who had all my information correct and had to fax it to the hotel. So, finally after and hour I had both my rooms and they were correct. The hotel took full responsibility for the mishap and apologized. However, later I asked if they had shampoo and the same women looked at me like I was crazy and pointed across the street at a gas station and said " I don't but, they do." WHAT HOTEL DOESN'T HAVE SHAMPOO?? Honestly, it was one thing after the next. Have no idea the trouble I went through. I didn't let it ruin my night but, I was an hour late to everything I had planned that night.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Hamilton, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in what was called a whirlpool suite. It did have a whirlpool in the bedroom, but it was a one person. I really don't see the point in having a suite with a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom if it is so small. Overall it was a clean and fairly quiet stay, considering it was the holiday weekend. If you are planning on staying at this hotel, be prepared for a small pool, tiny in-room refrigerator (no freezer) and no closet/iron/hairdryer/coffee maker. Also be prepared to ask for extra pillows.

One of the perks was the morning coffee compliments of the hotel, served in the "lobby" every morning.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — "whirlpool"
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

We booked this hotel for a couple nights and checked to be sure they would accept our dog. The manager agreed that it would be fine with a crate, and not to leave the dog alone in the room.

The price was great, 49.99 per night on week days in Feb.

We were very happy with the cleanliness and location of the hotel.
There is a indoor pool which we didn't use, but was lovely. I would have liked an in-room coffee maker, but there was a breakfast area off the lobby with coffee in the morning. Also there was a microwave there. There is a pay for use computer available also.

Next door there was a variety store, which came in handy, and several restaurants on the street. Very close to Lundy's Lane, Victoria Ave and lots of businesses, yet a nice quiet neighbourhood behind for walking the dog.

Very good, we would return.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Would like a in room coffee maker
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)