“good for price conscious travellers - not so close to the sightseeing spots”

Motel 6 Niagara Falls
Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We spent one night at the hotel during our way to Toronto. As we have missed to book the hot deals for the high-end price hotels located near the falls, this hotel was recommended by a booklet. We had a very warm and nice welcome by the staff which gave us a discount and special rate. The rooms were spacious and very clean. They offer private parking which is included in the rate. A lot of shops and restaurants are located near the hotel. The Niagara falls are just some minutes drive away or you can even walk to the falls. We can recommend this hotel for budget travellers cause the have excellent price rates even if you have not booked in advance.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 September 2010

This hotel was some good, and quite a bit of bad.

We booked it because it had a pretty good price and we were tempted by the idea of having a hot tub in our room.

When we checked in, the room was nice, but it sure was sparse- there was no hair dryer in the bathroom (I've stayed at much cheaper places that had them), and our room's refrigerator was conspicuously missing- we thought maybe it just didn't have one, until I saw that the room across the hall did and realized the space in the cabinets was for the fridge, and of course didn't realize this until it was too late to bother with. The towels were like sandpaper, and they only give you two pillows with the bed, and the air conditioner sucked- I guess it's a new power saving model that I've had in other hotels, and I hate it because you can't set it to run all the time. So, it goes from being too hot in your room, to too cold, and back to too hot, plus you don't get that "white noise" from the AC or fan.

The first night we were there it rained, and the window in our room leaked like crazy. It was neat that you could open the window, but I guess leaks are the price you pay for that novelty.

The parking lot is too small for the size of the hotel, if you go anywhere on a weekend day you will come back to find you have no place to park. There were literally cars parked everywhere on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Additionally, the hot tub rooms are probably the worst in the place. They are all right next to the elevators and we had to listen to people carrying on every night at 2-3 AM.

And, unless you get a room on the top floor, you'll get to hear everything the person above you does with their hot tub. On the last night we were there, the people above us were in their hot tub for around an hour starting at 2 AM, and when they drained it, I swear it sounded like it was draining directly into our room. My girlfriend and I got up at 3 AM and left to go home...we couldn't sleep due to all the noise and figured we might as well start driving.

The good points were that it was a decent place, and it was a good location, within an easy walk of the falls, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I stayed at the Motel 6 for 1 night with my daughter on our way from New York to Toronto. It was in a great location, easy to find and a short walk from the Falls and the Maid of the Mist. It was super to have the free car parking as it is fairly expensive to park at the Falls. Staff at reception were very welcoming, room was clean and price for the night was good.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Stayed for two nights with no hasseles and excellent service and assistance by the front desk and the cleaning staff. Had an accident in my room during my stay ,they had the room quickly cleaned an to boot even steamed cleaned by the time we got back..Definitly would stay there again... The night staff was excellent for the reason of the parking lot being full he offered to move his car and give me his spot...Thanks again..

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralphy11
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Best thing about this hotel, was the price and location near the hospital; worst thing was the owner and housekeeping staff.

I stayed there in June and had an absolutely terrible experience. I had stayed before several times with my husband and had really liked the basic room. The price was good and the room was fairly clean. It was completely non-smoking. I always requested a quiet floor or area (the hotel did't have much business when we stayed there and did not this time), since I am up late at night when Europe is awake because I work from my laptop, as I explained to the front desk clerk, asking him to make a note of this for the
housekeeping staff.

This time I did not have my husband with me since I was visiting my aunt in the nearby hospital; I was alone. I am 56 years old.

The high speed internet went out several times. The hotel owner does all the repairs himself, and I had to wait until the next morning until he came in, so was unable to work that night. The maids had made my bed with a book inside it and were very loud early in the morning. It turned out one of the maids was the owner's daughter.

One morning two days after I checked in, the room cleaner banged very loudly
on my door. I always hang a "do not disturb" sign on my door and had done so
about 6am that morning. I had had about two hours sleep. I just ignored it. I was very tired. I thought they had ignored the "do not disturb sign and wanted to clean my room, which I had made clear at check in should be cleared last. Then the owner came to my door and banged as loudly as he could, shouting very loud for me to get up. I went to the door and what they wanted, knowing I had just gotten to sleep, (I made this very clear at the front desk) was for me to change rooms so they could steam clean and they wanted me out NOW.

I explained that I had just gotten to bed and that they ought to have given me notice the previous day, or better still at check in, since they had known about this happening for at least two weeks according to the steam cleaning people they had contracted with.

I was staying for a week, which was pre-paid so I had no choice but to comply. I told them it would be about an hour since I had not slept and had not showered or brushed my teeth, and it would take a while to gather up my things. The cleaners were furious, as was the owner. I was in the middle of dressing (I had been sleeping and was in my nightgown) when another series of knocks came. This time it was the same maid who told me I had to move and get out now because she had a child at home. I felt for her, but it was still her shift - it was early morning and she had just gotten in, and I felt that she was misrepresenting the situation because the owner thought as a woman, they could appeal to me emotionally. I told the woman that although I understood her situation, that her childcare arrangements were not a problem for a guest in the hotel and she should take that up with the hotel manager and ask to go home, and the longer she stood there the longer it would take me to leave.

I asked her to have a dolly sent up to speed up the process and my request
was not welcome. They wanted me to get my own dolly, but wanted me out quickly so it was brought up. I piled all my things on it, presents for my grandhildren, the fruit and
vegetables I had brought for the fridge, all my clothes, shoes etc. and moved to another floor which reeked of cleaning chemicals. I worried that breathing this in might be terribly unhealthy for me since my health was frail. I opened the window as far as I could, about three inches.

Five minutes after I entered the room, in my forced haste and groggy state I realized that I had left my makeup, cosmetics and a bottle of anti-rejection medication there. I am a transplant recipient and a diabetic. I went immediately back down to my former room; it was being vaccummed by the woman who had asked me to move because her child was at home. I asked her where my bottle of pills and makeup and the two mini bottles of shampoo were and she said there was nothing in the room. I said they had to be there, I had just left five mintes ago. So I called the front desk then and then again later that afternoon and only the two small bottles of shampoo had turned up.

I had to Call my pharmacist, at home, long distance. and see if he could transfer my trillium card down to Niagara explaining what had happened so I could get my anti-rejection medicine, and he did that instantly. He knew my life was at stake. I went to a local pharmacy and was able to refill it. It had been full previously because I was going away..

That afternoon, I went down and asked to see the manager and told her this
sort of thing was unnacceptable and a terrible way to treat a guest. She did
agree and offered me a jaccuzzi room as compensation. I told her I would
never use the jaccuzzi,because I don't like them, nor the coupons for 10% off a meal a local steakhouse since I am a vegetarian. However the room was on a quiet floor. I must say that she was quite nice, as were the front desk clerks, and very experienced
and competent, but was unable, obviously, to manage the hotel properly due to
interference from the owner. So I moved again, mostly because I did not wish
to appear churlish about her upgrade and attempt to make up for what had happened. I was already under some strss because my beloved aunt, who is also my godmother, had had a stroke and I was there to visit her and to get as much work done as I could under the circumstances.

I stayed there that night and gave notice, and just took the loss. The next morning I got another series of bangs on my door. I had put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door before I went to bed and wondered what is was now.

It was the same maid and the owner's daughter, who also cleaned my room ,that
had banged loudly on my door the previous morning. I said that there was a
sign on the door and asked why were they disturbing me. The owner's daughter
smirked at me and said there was no sign. They had taken it off. The other girl looked just as smug.

My medication and my cosmetics never showed up, and I believe they were discarded for spite. The owner and houskeeping staff would benefit greatly from a course in hospitality.

If the ownership changed, and if the houskeeping were better trained and learned to be respectful and considerate, I would stay there again; but ladies, do NOT book this hotel if you are alone.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I booked a room at this hotel, one month in advance, through Travelocity for the July 4 weekend. When I arrived on July 3, I was told by the front desk that the room I had requested was unavailable and that they had informed Travelocity when I had made the booking. I received no alert from Travelocity and the front desk was completely unhelpful. They refused to provide any alternate room in the hotel, inspite of the fact that other guests were checking in right in front of us. They best they were willing to do was to try to find a room in the flea bag motel next door that was "under the same ownership." I strongly suspect that we were bumped so the hotel could offer our room to others at higher rates for the July 4 weekend. Travelocity was no help either. A terrible experience- we went to another hotel that we found ourselves.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank VAPilot
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This hotel fairly new, clean, doesn't charge for parking, service good, within walking distance of everything, yet economical. Has indoor pool.
Good buy unless you want luxury type place.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple