“Wonderful celebration at Prince of Wales”
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful celebration at Prince of Wales”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife surprised me with a night at the hotel for my birthday. Some of the main hotel rooms are a bit over stuffed (in the classic Victorian tradition) but the front desk--especialy Athena who was so very helpful--were great at selecting a perfect room. Was large, open suite with a balcony ion the Studio section and was very beautiful and tastefully decorated. A nice chocolate treat was delivered for my birthday, and a card, and the service was excellent. Staff carried our bag, arranged for a car to the restaurant etc. Breakfast was very good, warm friendly service.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk staff to make sure you get a room you like. It is an old property and while a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Toronto
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I booked a night at this hotel for my parents as a Mother's Day and Father's Day gift. They had the time of their life!! They said they had never been treated so well in any hotel, anywhere!! First of all, the room was gorgeous, tastefully decorated and cozy. The staff were all incredible!! They just could not do enough for you. When you phoned for something, they were knocking on your door almost before you hung up the phone, the front desk staff were so friendly and helpful and the dining room staff were also outstanding. The service and overall quality was definitely fit for a King or Queen!!! Absolutely no complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geritoronto
MichelleGMPW, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
I am thrilled to know that we made you proud! It was a special gift for you to send your parents to Prince of Wales to celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day. Thank you for sharing your story, Kind Regards, Michelle
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I was a little hesitant about staying in a hotel more than 100 years old as usually the rooms are very small but I was pleasantly surprised. We were upgraded to a room with a jacuzzi tub and king size canopy bed. There was a small fridge in the room as well. The staff was very friendly and attended to our every need in a timely manner. We had tea in the "Drawing Room" and it was very nice especially as we were able to enjoy it overlooking Queen St. on a beautiful spring day. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a luxurious get away.

Room Tip: If you can get a room overlooking Queen St. and the park. The street is quiet so you won't get...
1 Thank vicki1986
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My Husband surprised me with a weekend getaway to celebrate my 40th Birthday, we both love Niagara on the Lake, but had never stayed at the Prince of Wales. We had a fabulous weekend and all of the staff were very attentive especially the Reception Manager who went that extra mile as my Husband had not informed the hotel that it was a surprise weekend for me, so once we arrived in our room we were presented with wine and chocolates to help our celebrations along.
The room was beautiful overlooking the front of the hotel with a large bathroom containing all of the spa amenities that you would require.
Both the restaurant and spa were awesome and well worth the extra money that you spend.
We would both go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sonia K
Dear Sonia K,
I am so pleased to learn that we helped to make your Birthday a special memory. Your husband did well! We look forward to having your return "in a heartbeat". All the best, Michelle
Toronto
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I had my wedding at this hotel and it was picture perfect. I won't go into general details of the lobby etc as a I know there are some great detailed reviews of the rooms here, but I used the Hampton Court, Three Feathers, and Prince Albert Ballroom for my wedding ceremonies and reception and all rooms were perfect to lend an intimate and romantic old-world atmosphere to my wedding, and it needed very little decoration. I am unbiased in this, I think, since all my guests agreed that this hotel is a most beautiful venue.

I had a suite for my wedding night and it was very spacious with wonderful Victorian touches to all the furnishings, including the large four poster bed, sitting area and desk, and large bathroom with a jetted tub in the corner. I've also been in a deluxe room which is less grandoise and spacious, but is just as charming and well equipped.

The Ambience sets this hotel apart from any other in the Niagara-on-the-Lake region. It's etherally old-world, elegant, and sophisticated. The hotel is iconic, and it's smack in the centre of town, steps away from great shops, shows, and great restaurants. The food in this hotel is pricey, but it's great, as is the service.

I'm not one to spend loads of money on a hotel, and this one is pricey, but I find the experience is worth it; for a special romantic occasion it's the perfect hotel.

To be unbiased, the front desk staff is nice and professional for the most part, but on some occasions I had experiernced an air of pretentiousness, and my wedding guests have mentioned this as well.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chambello
Shanty Bay, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I wanted to surprise my wife with a special get-away weekend to celebrate 30 years since our first date (we've been dating ever since). We love Niagara on the Lake but had never stayed at the Prince of Wales before. I booked a two night getaway package that included two breakfasts and a dinner and opted for the Superior King room. My wife was thrilled on arrival. The room was richly appointed, had a great view across the main street to the park and was very quiet. I can't say enough about the service. From check-in to dining to check out we were treated like royalty. All of our dining experiences were wonderful due to the friendly and attentive servers. The atmosphere was relaxing and the food - top notch. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Superior King on the 2nd floor, main street side was very comfortable and well appointed, had a...
1 Thank Tom C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Prince of Wales as part of our 41st Anniversary
Celebration. Our room was wonderful, overlooking the main street in Town and Simcoe Park.
Dinner at the restaurant was world class. We have stayed at many of the "Leading Hotels of the World" and the service from check in to check out was excellent. The quality of the food and the service was excellent both at dinner in the formal restaurant and for breakfast at the same restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple