“Greatest Hotel and Staff Ever”
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara on the Lake in addition to hosting a Senior Executive 2 Day Offsite Meeting. Nothing surpasses the quality of the service, the professional and friendly staff and this luxurious hotel. Overall the Prince of Wales went above and beyond and surpassed all our expectations. The entire group was thrilled with overall experience and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,792)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario over the fourth of July. The hotel is charming, with a very European feel. Upon check in, the manager on duty upgraded us to a suite that turned out to be fantastic. It was very private with a veranda overlooking the main street and a gas fireplace. The bathroom was a little small but everything was clean and the king bed was incredibly comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating in every interaction that we had with them. The workout facility was clean and the indoor salt water pool with sauna a nice plus. We also used the outdoor pool and spa at their sister facility, the pillar and post, which was well worth the 5 minute shuttle ride. The only tiny niggle is that their climate control system needs some work. The cooling system took a while to figure out and it never got to the desired temperature – in fairness it was very hot and muggy that week. Price was pretty high for the comfort, but it was worth the splurge at this charming hotel. The location for exploring Niagara on the Lake is perfect – everything is within walking distance and the hotel has shuttles for wineries and other attractions further afoot. We did not eat in the restaurant as there were many choices in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure that you understand exactly where in the hotel your room is, as they have added on to the...
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I arrived in the early evening without a reservation. Mr. Cooper Smith took exceptionally good care of us and offered what turned out to be a great deal. The bed was very comfortable and the historic setting had the requisite quirks like narrow winding halls but was beautifully decorated.
Great choice for a romantic evening.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We held our wedding reception at the Prince of Wales hotel on July 1, 2012. We can say, without a doubt, this was the best decision we made in regards to our wedding.

I first became aware of Vintages Hotels through one of their amazing wedding shows that I attended with my mom and sister. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and treated like royalty. We saw all three properties (Prince of Wales, Queen's Landing, and the Pillar & Post) and I fell in love with all of them.

My fiance and I met with Stephanie Allen a short time later, who showed us the Flower Garden at the Pillar & Post where we ended up holding our ceremony and she answered all of our questions with much attention and thought.

When I first saw the properties, I thought it would be way too much for our budget. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that they have packages that suit almost any budget. How can you say no to perfect customer service, gorgeous surroundings, scrumptious food and a great price? You just don't, and that's the end of it.

Once we booked, we had access to our wedding coordinators, Kaitlin Lepp at the Prince of Wales and Savannah Krantz at the Pillar & Post. Both responded to my emails and phone calls straight away, throughout the planning process, and both were amazing on the day of our wedding. Kaitlin and her staff unpacked and arranged all our decor on the tables and in the room for the cocktail party and packed it all up for us again at the end of the night. They even put our leftover wedding cake into plastic trays for us. There was not one hiccup (at least that I was aware of) on our beautiful day and I know it's because they are professional, skilled and naturals at this wedding thing!

The food was absolutely amazing and our guests are still talking about the hors d'oevres at the cocktail party and the risotto at the dinner buffet. The wine was paired by their inhouse sommelier and was a great match to the dinner.

Wedding aside, you'll find impeccable service all throughout the hotel whether for room service, porter help, complimentary valet, in the restaurant, etc. Everyone is so helpful.

We had the bridal suite for two nights and it was HUGE! We even had a mahagony step to get into the King Sized bed and we came home each night to a beautiful rose on the bed. The bathroom had a shower and jacuzzi tub and was big enough for us three ladies to get ready in together. I heard some of the other hotel rooms were quite small (I didn't see them) but they were still beautifully decorated.

I had room service on the morning of our wedding and enjoyed the wild mushroom omlette and coffee. It was the perfect food to start a long day.

All in all, it was a perfect weekend and I wouldn't change a thing. We look forward to going back and enjoying the properties again in future and will always hold fond memories of our time at the Prince of Wales (and Pillar & Post)!

Room Tip: If it's in your budget, splurge for one of the suites.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The hotel came to us highly recommended so we decided to spend a night there for our anniversary. The property although is nice and in a great location feels a bit old. It is also expensive. The hotel restaurant is very pricey and the food was mediocre at best - had New York striploin with mashed potatoes - portions were small. You could hardly call that a steak. Not worth the money. The service was a bit slow. Breakfast the next morning was part of the package - we asked to be seated in the veranda, the hostess hesitantly checked and we were put in the veranda however didn't get a window table although it was available. Again, the service was slow. It felt the place was short staffed. At check-out we were charged for dinner twice so had to have them adjust.
I may stay at the hotel again however will definitely not eat at the restaurant.

3  Thank Stacey K
Kelly E, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback. I would like to apologize for not meeting or exceeding your expectations as that is our ultimate goal. We do pride ourselves on our fine dining experience. I will look into your concerns to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We paid $400+ to stay here for one night. We were advised the room was larger than average: it was not, it smelled of mildew, the carpet in the halls were being torn up, the room was not even in the main hotel. The best they initially offered was free parking. We convinced them that was not enough and we received free breakfast. While the staff was friendly and helpful, paying a premium for a crappy room was a huge disappointment. I can only conclude that while the building is nice and the staff friendly, the hotel is way overpriced and just not worth it. Save your $ and stay elsewhere.
---Still waiting for some kind of resolution...

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex. Ask for the dimensions and a photo of your specific room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank StevenAK

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your feedback is very valuable. I will look into your concerns and follow up with our reservations team to ensure they are painting an accurate picture to our portential guests. Please contact me directly--I would like to follow up with you personally.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had never visited Niagara on the Lake, had few expectations, but were impressed by the person who had helped us choose a venue from among the several offerings of the Vintage Hotel Chain. In the course of the conversation we were moved from one hotel to another due to our request for a first floor room. The Prince of Wales is stunning at first view, surrounded by hanging plants in a riot of glorious colors, and equally elegant after you enter the hotel. Each person with whom we interacted treated us graciously and warmly, and satisfied our every need. This was true of the valets, the gentlemen and women who worked the reception desk....everyone! Before departing for home we booked a longer stay for 2013. We left with sweet memories, eager for our next visit to Niagara on the Lake and the Prince of Wales Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple