“Love it! My favorite escape from home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Rochester, New York
“Love it! My favorite escape from home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

We travel to Niagara area several times a year for long weekend or weekday getaways since we live about an hour away in the states.

We travel to NOTL often, because The Prince of Wales and their staff go above and beyond to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable. What we save in gas money we can splurge on other things if we chose to do so.
The Prince of Wales is always wonderful! My last stay here was absolutely one of the best, thanks to Cooper who was able to find our party of four, two gorgeous rooms on a busy weekend.
The prices were pretty good as well, considering that it was NOTL's busiest season.
We had a fantastic time again, enjoying the salt water pool, walked the village streets, enjoyed the summer festivities and saw a fantastic musical! We had a lovely late dinner in the bar area next to the fireplace. The menu is delicious and reasonable in price.
The next day, after a fantastic breakfast, we headed over to the outdoor hot-tub at their sister property, the Pillar and the Post, for some early afternoon relaxation and then soaked up some sun at their outdoor pool. There is always coffee, tea, apples or oranges in the waiting room of the spa area, and we enjoy these little luxuries even if we are going into their fabulous hot-tub for a 30 minute soak.
We brought our bicycles which we rode to some great wineries. Thank you Jason and JP for always keeping our bikes safe in storage!
We will see you all soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a special deal, see if an upgrade can be made . You may be able to stay in a suite at the P...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megamomof3kids

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
erie pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

We recently returned to the prince of wales, one of my favorite spots to go for relaxation and top of the line service.. From the greeting when we pull up Jason and JP ( a few bellman that helped us last time) they are so friendly and welcoming to the staff at the front desk Bobby and Cooper make you feel special. I also was thrilled with the small gestures, like the note of ackowledgment along with chocolates on the bed.These are the things that separate this hotel from others. To teh relaxing salt water pool. I work with alllot of students on a daily basis and cannot wait to get back to this hotel for the peace and serenity i need. Thanks so much Prince of Wales and staff you are number 1 with me!!! over and over. juli

Room Tip: if its romance you want, in the winter choose a room with a fireplace and larger tub with jets it is...
1 Thank Travlgrl757
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed at the Hotel over the August 2012 long weekend. Location is excellent, but for $350-$400 a night, expected better . I understand the front desk staff/concierge were busy being a holiday long weekend, but in general they were not helpful
The worst issue was after spending the day away from the hotel, we returned in the evening and found the used wet towels we used and left on the bathroom floor were folded and placed back on the towel racks. YUCK! That would never happen in a two star hotel and I would chuckle when we would pass the CAA 'Four diamond' award on the hotel lobby wall. If CAA only knew ! Front desk did not apologize but did send someone to replace the wet dirty towels with new ones.

We were leaving for an evening at the Shaw Festival and forgot our printed tickets in the room. We asked at the front desk if the box office would have the information for our tickets,and thus we wouldn't have to return to the room. One would assume that 80%+ of the Hotel's business is due to the Shaw. The person at the front desk just looked at us and said he had no clue instead of calling the Theatre.

We were waiting for a guided tour of the Wineries, to be picked-up mid-day in the hotel lobby. The tour was running late. We asked the Front desk if they knew anything about this Tour company. Again, they had no clue. When , eventually we were met by the Tour guide, she was quite surprised that nobody at the hotel heard about the tour Company, since they have been picking-up guests from the hotel for the past ten years.

The restaurant though was lovely with good service.

We received an automated email from the Hotel asking for feedback on our stay. We answered the email with the same complaints, and are still waiting 6 weeks for a reply from management.

My advice? Save your money and stay at one of the many lovely B+B in the centre of town, which will cost half the price, and at least you won't get wet, used, dirty towels , and someone who cares about your stay.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, stay mid-week or offseason
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pianoman432
Kelly E, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your detailed comments. This is absolutely not a standard within our hotel. Our goal is to exceed our guests expectations. I am sorry we were not able to do this for you. We are very proud of our property and our team here at the Prince of Wales. We believe in teaching and training team members that do not preform up to our standards.
I truly do hope you would return to our property so you can experience the Prince of Wales the way so many of our other guests do.

Kelly Exelby
General Manager Prince of Wales Hotel & Spa
Loma Linda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked a room for three nights in from 9/3 through 9/6. When I booked the rooms, I noted that most of the more affordable rooms were already booked up and all that I was left with was the suites. So, I booked them as I figured we hadn't had a vacation in about 3 years (just the two of us and no kids). We got the suite right above the Churchill room (enterance) which was beautiful. When we arrived we parked off the lot but later found out that parking is availabe in back for $10/day - charged to your room. The lobby was breath-taking. I loved the cherry-wood architecture everywhere! The decor was second to none. The tea room was outstanding. We got the breakfast option meaning that we could get breakfast each morning which I recommend. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious. All in all, I would definelty stay here again. There are so many things to do nearby of course. The best time to go is in September when the flowers are all mature and in full bloom. The room came with TV, phone, iron, ironing board, umbrella, AC, heater, fireplace, heated towel rack, oil paintings. The bed was very comfortable. My wife got a rose each evening on her bed. The only downside was that the people above us even though they wanted to be quiet, still made the floor boards creek when they walked at 530 in the AM. No big deal. The exercise equipment was very new and updated. The pool was awesome along with the spa. We didn't go into the sauna nor did anything at the day-spa (nails, facials etc) - so no comment there.

Room Tip: You need to book a long time in advance to be sure that the room level is available.
Greensburg, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

1 block from the shuttle, this was a perfect place for lunch. We were on a group tour and had about 3 hours here. Pizza, caesars salad and fish and chips were very good. Nice bar area with fireplace and service was excellent.

michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Nice location but overpriced for what you get. This was an anniversary trip and I called specifically to make certain requests. Nothing was done before hand; I had to talk to the front desk AGAIN. When I spoke with the front desk person, she even said she remembered talking with me on the phone and my making the request. Not that anyone did anything about it. Our anniversary was not acknowledged by the hotel......is this a Canadian thing? Is the whole country clueless? If a person mentions something, then that would be indicator that it is indeed important to that person. Anyway, in the USA when you spend $1500 for 3 nights lodging you get service. I believe the whole of Niagara on the Lake is run by dense individuals that make up this otherwise quaint little town.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dvd87
Kelly E, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
I would like to apologize on behalf of our team at the Prince of Wales Hotel for not recognizing your anniversary. We take our guests comments seriously, it is our goal to make our guests feel special and it is very easy to do when they are celebrating a special occasion. I will share your comments with the front office and reservation team in an effort to ensure this does not happen again.

I do wish you a Happy Anniversary and again do sincerely apologize.

Kelly Exelby
General Manager Prince of Wales Hotel & Spa
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was the maid of honour and searching for things to do and chose the Prince of Wales Spa as the stop for a girls afternoon. We had so much fun! I have never been so relaxed in my life, hands down. We booked a package that offered a tropical-scented facial, body wrap and a pedicure, for under 200.00. SO worth it! We ordered a big glass of wine and just enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and atmosphere. So impressed with the level of service, attention and friendliness of the staff. It has been years since I have been here but I was patting myself on the back a little, as my friend said it was the best day she has ever had out with the girls.

She was so impressed, she shared with me that a few weeks after her wedding, she wanted to de-stress so her and her new husband and young son went to NOTL for the day, looking around for things to do. They figured they may stay, and were planning on a small hotel in the falls as they were well aware of the rack rate.

Apparently, she walked by the Prince and the concierge was standing outside greeting people as they walked by. She said he approached her and they struck up a friendly conversation. She mentioned she was looking to stay somewhere for the night, and she said he booked her a studio room and dinner package for an excellent walk in rate-and they were able to afford the finest luxury and experience after all! They ended up staying all weekend, and my friend is not an enthusiastic person unless something really wows her-well she hasn't stopped talking about the fantastic stay, service or the very nice concierge who made her weekend.

I wanted to thank the Prince for an amazing spa experience and also great job with my friend-I think you have a guest for life!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends