“Niagara weekend getaway”

Prince of Wales
New York City, New York
“Niagara weekend getaway”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We found this hotel on hotels.com, and checked a few reviews there and here. This is the perfect hotel if you are looking to get away for a long weekend in this area. Close driving distance to Niagara Falls. Niagara on the Lake is a really nice, quaint little town. Lots of restaurants/bars/shops very close to hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is travelling to this area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donq1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I were married almost one year ago in December 2012 at the Prince of Wales Hotel. The architecture, decor, staff, and accommodations are unbeatable. They created our winter wonderland wedding with ease and made it a weekend that we will forever cherish. Each room is one-of-a-kind 19th century perfection. The hotel accommodations are wonderful and the staff: amazing! Our time there was so exceptional that we are looking forward to spending our first year anniversary there next weekend. A free stay (I might add) gifted to us from the hotel for having our special day there. We look forward to many more stays and this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morgan L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here for a birthday celebration weekend. I love Niagara on the Lake and this is a lovely hotel however I was a bit disappointed by the quality of the suite I booked. For the price of the rooms I don't think there should be visible patch work on the walls. I booked this room online through the hotel's web site and made all dinner reservations as well as additions to our meal (a birthday cake and rose petals) which were to part of our meal. Unfortunately when we arrived for dinner I noticed the rose petals were not on the table as I had ordered, When I spoke to the hostess she said there was nothing on my reservation. I also emailed the hotel ahead of time to confirm my order and the guest services department assured me it would be taken care of. Needless to say I was disappointed. The hostess did give us 2 complimentary glasses of sparking wine and a special happy birthday dessert which was nice but still not what I had ordered. When I received my final bill the next morning I also noticed that I had been charged for dinner twice. The dinner package I had pre-ordered online AND the actual dinner. I tried calling down to the front desk to discuss this matter but there was no answer. I also went down to the front desk before leaving but the line up was ridiculous and there were only 2 people working behind the desk and I would have been there an hour waiting. The next day I emailed the hotel and explained what happened, I received an apology letter and a promise to refund my credit card. All in all it was a nice getaway but I think I will try one of the other Inns the next time we visit Niagara on the Lake.

3 Thank chihuahuamamaof2
Maryland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I just spent a Girls Weekend at the Prince of Wales Hotel and really enjoyed the stay - as did my 2 girlfriends. This is a world class hotel with unsurpassed service in a beautiful setting. If you love 19th century England and the elegance and style that comes with that period you will love this hotel. Don't miss the portraits around the hotel of Queen Victoria, King George V (who visited the hotel when he was the Prince of Wales) and the British Royal family. The hotel is beautiful and the food is wonderful in Escabeche, the hotel's restaurant but do not miss High Tea in the drawing room. Rooms in the hotel are very comfortable and we all slept well. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We chose a room in the main building and would do that again. It's more convenient. However, r...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Clinton, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stopped here on a Monday night and the town had pulled in the sidewalks, all the stores were closed and most of the restaurants as well,
We had been to the Prince of Wales for lunch in the past and to the pub for a drink, decided on the pub for some light fare, good pub menu,
Fish and chips were excellent, light and flaky, would have tried the steak and mushroom pie but opted for squash soup which was excellent.
Cozy room with fireplace, leather chairs, very comfortable and not as formal as the dining room but food was quite good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kay C
West Seneca, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had the pleasure of staying for a night at the Prince of Wales Hotel. The lobby is beautiful-from the beautiful wallpaper and floral arrangements to the large stained glass "window" and sculpture. The location is right in the center of Niagara on the Lake and so much is within walking distance. Our room was lovely-though I thought we were in a room with a canopy. Everything was polished and clean. The bed was so comfy! There was a rose on our pillows, fresh water and oranges on pretty china on the side table, luxurious bathrobes and linens.
Staff are there to serve you and all were so gracious from the greeting in the lobby to our breakfast server.
Next time 2 nights!

1 Thank rbrfan
Lockport, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Prince of Wales was very nice. The location is right in the heart of town. There are several dining options located within a couple of minutes walk. The room and bed were very comfortable. Our room did not face the street, so it was very quiet.

1 Thank PJBrayley