“Came For High Tea But They Ran Out Of Food”
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Must say first off that I was not actually a guest at the hotel. I visited the hotel for traditional high tea as I have numerous times in the past. Apparently they were not prepared for the number of people that came for tea that day as they ran out of most food items before tea service was over. I was very disappointed as I had brought a friend there specifically to try the tea. It's difficult for me to understand how they could actually run out of food. The only thing they had available were the tea sandwiches which unfortunately were also disappointed. On my previous visits they served traditional sandwiches but have recently switched sandwich types. In fairness, we were informed of the sandwich types in advance but being that there was no other food available, decided to give them a try. It should be noted that we paid a "sandwich only" price instead of the full price for traditional tea.

We spoke to the couple at the table next to us and they were guests of the hotel and had actually made a reservation for the tea but they too did not get the full assortment of food items.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank MissHollywoodFL
There are newer reviews for Prince of Wales

Reviewed 22 June 2009

Our room was on the first floor overlooking the parking lot and right next to the kitchen with a constant food smell. We were given the worst room in the property which was hard to understand because the hotel was half empty. I think this had something to do with the fact that we booked the room with a pre-paid rate from Travelocity. This is certainly not what you expected when you pay 350 dollars a night.

There are other place where I would stay on my next trip to this region.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank worldtraveler1Usa
Reviewed 19 June 2009

This is a charming, unusually beautiful boutique hotel in a very nice little vacation town. Manager Cory and Asst Jason were extremely helpful. They gave 5 star service for the few requests that we made. The building is a very well maintained period building with very luxurious mahogany interiors. There is original artwork all over the lobby. The location is great, right on the main street of the town where people browse the cute shops. The restaurant delivered a very fancy breakfast...all very excellent service. We had a fast dinner in the pub also, which was great. Saw 2 great shows at the Shaw Festival and another theater in town. Rented bikes one day and went out to visit some wineries close to town. The town reminded us of Aspen, CO....beautiful houses with manicured gardens that people take very good care of.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank footman9235
Reviewed 16 June 2009

My husband and I just got back from a weekend at Niagara on the Lake. We have stayed in the Prince of Wales on two other occasions and love the Secret Garden Spa. We haven't been there in a few years and decided to go, spur of the moment. We booked our 'usual' suite, which is the second floor suite on the corner of the building where Queen and King Streets converge. It is a terrific view, it has a sitting room with a fireplace, and a deep soaking tub in the bath. We love to sit on the couch in the evening, with the fireplace, and watch the world go by. This time the room was filthy. There was food all over the walls and furniture, even on the pull down shades. The tiles in the bathroom were heavily cracked and though the tub was still nice, the shower head barely drizzled. The couch creaked and groaned and we thought it would collapse. The rug is shabby and needs replacing. The room was quiet except for the banging of the lounge door below every time a customer or waiter walked through; a simple and cheap rubber door stop would have ended the noise. We each had a spa treatment in the Secret Garden Spa, just like we have done before. I had two treatments back to back and was so aggravated and frustrated when I left that I should have gone to some other spa just to relax. The actual treatments were very good, but the noise was ridiculous. There are signs in the spa that explain the whisper rule; but when the staff is talking and laughing loudly in groups of three or four, how do you expect the guests to be quiet. Then after my treatment I found out my husband had been locked in the mens room for 20 minutes, banging and pounding on the door. No one went to check it out because they thought it was maintenance; even though he had checked in twenty minutes before and was now missing. When they finally figured it out, the maintenance man was completely unapologetic and flippant. The spa comped his treatment, but the damage was done. The beds are as hard as rocks! Even if I had relaxed at my spa treatment, I would have still felt like a pretzel when we left. They need to invest in tempurpedic beds for the price that one pays for a spa hotel. They had high speed internet but wanted to charge nearly $30.00 for the weekend. A 500.00 dollar room and they wanted to charge us for the internet! Also parking was 10.00 per day, again...500.00 dollar room!? The food was excellent as always, at least we had that going for us. And what can you say about the location, location, location, the view was still lovely. Next time we will definitely try somewhere else! We were greatly disappointed and frankly, felt cheated.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mvmortellaro
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Well this is a little gem! Wonderfully charming and romantic regency style decor. Truly helpful and friendly staff especially on Reception. We had the blue suite and it was cozy clean and had everything we needed for our romantic get away in wine country. Its a stones throw from the theatre and many quaint shops. A tour of the wineries by trolley is a must, the driver was very good at his job, friendly, funny and knowledgeable.
The best thing was the evening meal in the restaurant..rack of lamb to die for, mouthwatering deserts and a fantastic selection of wines and champagne. Breakfast was also fantastic and the wait staff wonderful! We will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marie C
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This was the first time my husband and I stayed in the Niagara-on-the-lake area and we were very impressed. It was such a nice change from Niagara Falls. The hotel was on the main street which made it very convenient. It is definitely different then other hotels I've stayed at as everything had an antique charm. The salt water pool was very nice (didn't irritate the skin/eyes or smell like regular pools).

But I loved the little extras
- The oranges, bottled water and roses waiting in our room upon arrival
- The towel warmers
- The free safe
- The restaurant staff addressed us by name
- Music playing in the room upon arrival
- Modern Gym Equipment (bring headphones to listen to your personal tv on the exercise machines)

..and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff!

The only complaint I have is that the wall paper was peeling a bit just around the window. I mentioned this to my husband after we left and he hadn't even noticed so maybe I'm just picky!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yee-staz
Reviewed 27 February 2009

My wife and I have visited the Prince of Wales several times a year for the last few years. We use it as our base for touring the local wineries. The restaurant is staffed by some of the most attentive people we have ever had serve us. Their sommelier is worth the trip alone, great guy and very knowledgeable. His selections are always fantastic. After dinner a few drinks fireside in the bar cap off a great night . Being a guy I was never one to think of going to a spa, well things have changed. Great service and atmosphere. Nice quiet pool and modern exercise room as well. The rooms are very nice and spacious.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple