“Outstanding service”

Queen's Landing
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our 43 wedding anniversary at Queen's Landing and the staff were fantastic as was the food and accommodation. Our dinner waitress, Jill, went out of her way to make us comfortable and look after our needs. The food was well prepared and delicious. I highly recommend the steak. Next morning our waiter Gerry greeted us like old friends and made sure we sat by the window overlooking the river. Impeccable service by both of these staffers. The room was very clean and quiet and we enjoyed the gas fireplace. Being charged for WiFi is a bit of a rip off at these rates plus the toilet tissue has to be the cheapest I have ever encountered in a hotel. Certainly not up to standard for this chain. We definitely recommend this property.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the QL on New Year's Eve 2014 (please excuse my late review of this hotel!!!) and we had a wonderful time. Check-in was speedy and the lovely people at the front desk ALL greeted us with warm smiles. Everyone at this hotel seems very happy and appear to genuinely love their jobs. We lucked out on a great room with an awesome view of the water. The bed was so big and fluffy, and everything was extremely clean. We even used their deep soaker bath tub with jets.

We are a young couple who just wanted to relax and have a more quiet celebration, and that is exactly what we were able to do! With that being said, we chose not to buy the New Year's dinner celebration package the hotel offered and instead ate at the Bacchus Lounge (located on the hotel's lower level). I cannot say enough good things about the food and service there... To this day, I am still thinking about their pumpkin ice cream and cheesecake dessert! Simply to die for. It is a little pricey, but it's definitely worth every penny. I really want to make mention of our wonderful server, Kenji, who spent his entire New Year's evening with the lounge's guests with a radiant smile on his face. He honestly made great company! It couldn't have been better!

Our hotel package came with breakfast, and all I can say is it was undoubtedly the best breakfast...EVER. The buffet looked pretty standard (my fiance enjoyed it), however we also had the choice of ordering from their menu. I did, and got the smoked salmon and cream cheese--it was a good choice!

Check-out was speedier than our check-in! They offered to help us with our bags, too.

Overall, the property is absolutely beautiful and is worth checking out! It's the closest hotel to the water, which makes it a great spot to do some exploring. We walked around the whole area and it's just so quaint and picture perfect. QL is located OFF the strip, so it's also the most isolated hotel. It's walking distance from the strip, though (few blocks). This hotel is definitely for a mature or older crowd looking to catch some alone time, rekindle the romance, or to simply relax. I have stayed at the Moffat Inn in the past and QL is definitely the way to go! I want to also add that because this hotel is part of the "Vintage Hotels" chain, all QL guests can share the facilities of the other VH hotels located on the strip (i.e. the pools located at the other hotels... etc.).

I recommend this hotel. I will be returning soon!

Room Tip: A room with the view of the water is the way to go!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura S
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello Laura - what a fabulous post about your New Year's Eve spent here at Queen's Landing! We are simply thrilled that you were able to get away from the city and welcome 2014 with us! Our team of service professionals truly enjoy being a part of our guest's experience here at the hotel and I will be sure to compliment my team on your behalf!

Thank you also for sharing your photos on this site - it is guests like yourself that provide the best reviews of our hotel and become repeat visitors to our town and our hotels.

Yours in hospitality,

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Located in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Queen's Landing Inn and Conference Centre is a quaint but posh hotel ideal for the vacationing family who is trying to get away from the hustle and bustle pace of a city life. The town itself has been getting rave reviews as the most beautiful little town of Canada, or one of them, anyway. Service is excellent, succulent food, quiet and personal is what I would describe my experience of this establishment. Only a short distance, about 10 - 15 minute drive, to Niagara Falls and its casinos and attractions, it makes your trip memorable! It is one of those places that once you have tried it, you will keep coming back, if you know what I mean? Toronto is only an hour and 15 minutes away also, if you want to experience what the city has to offer. The Canadian hospitality is omnipresent in Queens!

Room Tip: Every room offers an excellent location.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eddie P
Dear Eddie: I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post a review here on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Queen`s Landing. We truly enjoy hosting our local friends who don't have to travel far to experience the top notch hospitality that we are known for. Thank you also for pointing out our close proximity to both Niagara Falls and Toronto.

Spring has arrived in Niagara-on-the-Lake and we hope that you can come and see us again soon!

All our best,

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2014

After staying at The Shaw Club (also a great place to stay) for years we decided to try Queen's Landing for Valentine's Day weekend. The package was a good deal and the hotel being situated a bit farther away from the center of things didn't matter. I think we were the only guests not involved in weddings, which were constant throughout the weekend. But, hey, on Valentine's Day what do you expect? A bare shouldered bride greeted us as we pulled up out front on arrival, shooed into formation by the photog with her lilac clad bridesmaids. Later strains of Twist and Shout were heard wafting from the ballroom.

The dining room gets very high marks for being sensitive and prepared for my gluten free diet. Our dinner was fabulous, the service was great. The waitress was knowledgable of the menu and wine both. Breakfast was nearly surreal with GF toast which I didn't have to ask for the next morning (the wait staff actually remembered) GF French toast or pancakes were offered. Our previous experience with other NOTL hotels' breakfasts is: cold buffet loaded with gluten, very few GF options. Queen's Landing gets high marks for making me feel like a dietary equal and not a pain in the .....

The spa/pool area is lovely and quiet unless kids arrive. The hot tub is beautiful and usually free of children. The gym equipment is high quality, each treadmill has its own tv. Great sauna.

The rooms are nice. We had a gas fireplace. The bathrooms have comfortable soaking tubs and separate showers.

I would recommend this hotel to GF people (they even do a good GF pizza.) or anyone else with dietary issues. It's a beautiful location with water views and quietude. I would certainly rate it higher than #6.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GFoodie19
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear valued guest - I simply had to write you back to thank you for posting such a detailed review following your stay at Queen's Landing. How great that we are your first official post on TripAdvisor! Your time with us sounded lovely - we hosted many couples over the Valentine's Day weekend and were happy to provide romance for our guests! Our pool and hot tub area were recently renovated to provide a tranquil and peaceful escape and it sounds like you were able to enjoy!

I must tell you that I also enjoy a gluten free lifestyle and our culinary team makes it their mission to not only accommodate this dietary restriction, but also to impress our special diners. I myself really enjoy the gluten free french toast as well! How great that our restaurant team recognized you during your stay and were able to provide you with gluten free options each time.

You have a lot of choices when you travel and we are so pleased that you chose us! Thank you for saying that we deserve to be higher than a #6 rating on this website! Simply amazing!

We hope to see you again soon!

Ontario
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I booked a weekend at the Queens Landing for our anniversary. It had been years since we'd been there and since we postponed our usually trip to the Caribbean until April to celebrate we thought we'd visit Niagara-on-the-Lake for the weekend and have a romantic getaway.

Arrival: we arrived in the evening on Friday; front-desk staff were welcoming. We originally booked a suite but were up-graded to The Royal Suite which was very generous. We booked a whole weekend package which included two breakfasts and one dinner at Tiara Restaurant.

Room: Located on the third floor and over-looking the lake. Very spacious but starting to look its age and in need of renovation. Part of the ceiling stucco near the door was starting to fall down so there was a hole approximately 3-4 inches of ceiling missing. The bed frame is a 4-poster which is lovely however the side of the bed near the bathroom is starting to chip away. Ample storage to unpack everything we had with us. There was a wedding on Saturday night - we could hear the bass in our room - not loud mind you but enough to let you know to book a room on the third floor if you're staying here to be as far away from the banquet rooms as possible.

Food: the food at Tiara dining room is delicious however we did have a couple of situations that further explain how the Queens Landing is missing the mark:

1) Breakfast: We don't eat meat. We're pescetarian (vegetarian who eat fish). My husband ordered the omelet with all the fixings EXCEPT ham. I said I would have the same thing but with smoked salmon. My husbands omelet was fine, I'm eating away at mine and then come across HAM. It was our server's first day, he made a mistake and I get it - we're only human and I did feel bad for him but (and I'm not trying to be dramatic here) I was slightly traumatized. I haven't touched animal flesh in over a year and so it was a bit of a shock that I may have consumed some. I'm hoping that the ham was in the middle and I caught it in time but I don't know.

When I alerted the staff they were on top of it, doing anything they could to rectify the situation so I'm giving props to Arthur and Jane for being so gracious and understanding that it wasn't a little incident and doing what they could to make it right. Even though breakfast was included in our package, they credited our account $34 (the value of the breakfast for both of us). The situation wasn't good but the staff were phenomenal. My recommendation is that staff repeat all orders back to guests to make sure they have it right moving forward. We ate the breakfast buffet on the last day - try the danish - delicious!

2) Dinner: a couple of our friends met us for dinner at Tiara restaurant. Before they arrived I asked if our package would allow me to order sides and was told that it would be covered. I don't know if our server Rose (who was lovely by the way) thought that I meant to combine a meal with sides or what however we ordered starters and entrees and a couple of sides but were charged for the sides. We didn't address it then and there as we didn't want to make a big thing out of it with our friends there but would take it up with the front desk when we checked out in the morning. The food at dinner was delicious and presented very well.

Check-out: Leanne was at the front-desk at check-out, she didn't ask how our stay was so I gave her the good and the bad. She didn't offer to discount the sides from last nights dinner and she kept typing in the computer like she was taking notes but my husband told me that he was watching what she was doing and she wasn't typing anything - just acting like she was. So nothing was resolved at check-out.

The staff we were in contact with (excluding Leanne) were extremely helpful and accommodating however, the property overall needs a remodel and staff need additional training.

We live in a 5-star hotel/condominium property and our normal travel experiences are 5-star. I see a lot of positive reviews on tripadvisor for this property and so perhaps it is a matter of what you are used to.

I think this property has a lot of potential but I don't think we'll be back unless they renovate and overall raise the bar.

Romantic weekend tips:

1) Have scones and tea at The Prince of Whales hotel. The scones are huge, you get two and you won't leave hungry. I saw the high-tea, the sandwiches looked pretty basic so I'd go for scones and skip the rest of it.

2) Horse and buggy ride: it's half-price in winter $80 for 30 minutes - you get a warm blanket for the two of you and it's a great way to see the town.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor. If there is a wedding or other celebration you'll hear the music...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ImogenDharma
Hello there - Just wanted to let you know that I have responded to your husband following your 2 posts here on TripAdvisor and his email following your recent stay with us.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Toronto
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Let me start with some background. I do the bad reviews and my amazing wife does the good reviews. We live in a 5 star hotel condo in Toronto so I may have higher than normal expectations but I will give you what I think.

It was our anniversary and normally we go south but this year we have to wait till April so I thought why not a romantic weekend in wine country. We go a nice package with a suite, breakfast and dinner for about a grand. So I booked and down we came.

So we checked in and they upgraded us to the Royal suite. Which was very nice and unexpected, sadly from there forward it was all downhill.

My wife loves disco and no fault of the hotel I got tickets to see jive taking at falls view. It was bad... It was like a bad after dinner show on a cruise ship you get through with too much alcohol. So we stayed for 15 min and came back.

Next day we got up and had breakfast. We don't eat meat, we'll we don't eat any friends with 2 or 4 legs. As well at home even or eggs are from whole foods free range. It's ethics with us, however when out we just don't do meat. So order the omelet and in my wifes they had ham. She was all freaked out, it will be the the first time in years she had meat. They were nice about it and gave a refund on the breakfast. However it was not good.

We then went to some wine places came back and went to the Prince of Wales. They have an amazing scone and tea. Although the scones are just Ok. Nice service and view. We then took the horse and buggy ride. $80.00 for 30 min was nice. It was our anniversary so why not.

Then was dinner. So our friends were comming to see us so we go there early. Most of the food was with meat so my wife asked about the sides. We were told no problem you can do that. Again when our friends came our server said you are in the package and they are not. So I got fish with side of shrimp and my wife the veg special with side of scallops. Well you pay for the sides on top of the package not that I mind but at least let me know. Now again attention to detail. I ordered shrimp and got scallops, they did fix by giving me both. They put happy anniversary on the desert but gave to our friends first not us. On a side note, if you love old fashions like I do, don't order one... It's just bad.

That night we could hear the music from the wedding I take it below us till about 1 30 am or so.

So I always look at things as value for money. This place is way over priced for what you get. I would say even for half of what I paid it's bad. You can stay in much nicer places for less money at the falls. Again same type package at Marriott half the price, half the expectations.

Oh one last thing resort fee... What this is not a resort it's an inn. In fact it's called a vintage inn in the name. Why it's not part of the room cost I will never get. Not like I can not pay it or take an option out.

So if you know what real 5 star is and go to better restaurants you will find this place a joke... It actually is so sad all you can do is laugh and live with the fact you wasted money. I will have to go to Tiffany on Monday to get my wife a real gift.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovethewife
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Beautiful rooms, excellent service and a gorgeous setting. The rooms are large and the hotel has very nice common spaces. The restaurant is very nice, and there are beautiful spots to sit out if the weather permits, both in the lounge and in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business