“Location, location in a beautiful surrounding”
Review of Queen's Landing

Queen's Landing
Montreal, Canada
“Location, location in a beautiful surrounding”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The hotel is situated on a beautiful property walking distance from the main street Queens) in downtown Niagara-on-the Lake. Most staff (except for one front desk girl who must have lost the ability to smile) were amazing. I must point out Laura, Kelly, Athena, Sebastian, Frank and all the young bell hops (who went and get our bikes, helped us with luggage, opened doors, etc with smiles a friendly greeting all in 35 - 40 C heat). I must also point out that housekeepers were friendly, smiled and kept the rooms very clean, unfortunately I did not get their names. The manager on duty, Fernando, resolved a problem with a good compromise solution. He always remained professional.... kudos.

This is a Vintage hotel property. This allows you to use the facilities and shuttle service between 3 hotels located in the town. In our hotel there is a nice pool and hot tub. Careful, on one day with the high humidity and heat (and probably not enough air circulation) the chlorine level in the air did bother our eyes. However, that only happened once, the other times it was very pleasant using the facility. Their gym is "ok". If you enjoy spinning, they offer an organized class in the gym.

The rooms are large. It looks like they have been renovated in the last 3-5 years. Unfortunately the a/c units are built into the windows. In our room it was quite loud. However, after a day of activities, the "hum" put me to sleep. One negative, the mattresses; they really do need to be changed. My wife did not mind it much, but, I believe, I was sleeping on the side that sunk in most. The hotel has obviously tried to extend their lives by lining the mattress with foam. The room has a small refrigerator (brilliant!), Kuerig coffee machine (again brilliant!), a nice size plasma TV, a safe and plenty of storage space. The bathrooms have definitely been renovated (very clean!). Shower head water pressure is on the low side.

The hotel is located at the edge of a bike path that leads all the way to Niagara Falls (42 km round trip....excellent path!). There is a lot to do in the area. The wineries are excellent! The town center has many shops in which you can find local made goods. many excellent restaurants in the area. Unfortunately, our experience at the hotel's restaurant wasn't good (I'll post my review in the next couple of days).

What makes this hotel? In two words: their service and property. We would return, no doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms on water side have an obstructed view of the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This past Spring I helped coordinate a four day conference at Queen's Landing along with a colleague. I will note that my contributions were on site during the days of conference so I can't speak to how my colleague found the pre-event organization details.

In my profession I regularly plan and coordinate events of a variety of complexity and size. Our 4 day event in Niagara on the Lake was expertly managed by Tiffany Sacco and the Conference Team at Queen's Landing. We had a number of last minute requests for details like additional break out space or AV needs such as Poly-com telephones to connect with colleagues which are met quickly and often done from my email within the conference room directly to the team. Tiffany and her team were always clear about which services and additions would involve added expenses and was super quick to respond to our needs.

The meals provided for our event were done buffet style for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. Although our service for coffee and beverages was slow and occasionally confusing (one lunch time we missed coffee service all together) the meals and food were exceptional. Our group enjoyed the treats provided for our breaks (including M&Ms and jelly beans to sample along with healthier fruit options).

Outside of our conference specifics, my colleagues and I at the meeting all thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Queen's Landing. The rooms were clean and well suited for our needs. If we find ourselves looking to organize again in the Toronto/Niagara on the Lake area we will absolutely look to return to Queen's Landing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hello Meegan - I was so delighted to read your wonderful posting here on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure hosting your conference and I must say, your compliments on our conference services team will be so appreciated. I will personally thank them all on your behalf for being a part of the success your company experienced. I was so happy to read that Tiffany, our conference services manager, was here to help with your last minute changes and additions. We often find that group's plans change and we need to react as quickly as possible to ensure the execution of the event is outstanding.

Please do remember us for future events!

All our best,

Markham, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A weekend getaway to Niagara on the Lake to celebrate Canada Day was highlighted by our stay at Queen's Landing. The rooms are clean, comfortable - choice of pillows. The staff are always pleasant, and helpful. The hotel was busy - they had a Canada Day special on, but you could not hear your neighbouring guests. Always a delight to stay at the Landing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hello Sara - thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at Queen's Landing. We were delighted to read that we were the highlight of your Canada Day weekend! It was a beautiful week here in Niagara-on-the-Lake and we truly enjoyed hosting our guests for the holiday!

We hope that you will come and stay with us again!

Yours truly,

Toronto, ON
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is an old and dated hotel which I am surprised received such high ratings from Yelp. There are much better options in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

The check-in staff were hurried and rude, and annoyed by my questions resulting from their confusing instructions on where to go for what. I'm a guest - take the time to make sure I am comfortable before rushing me to my room. As someone who stays in hotels 75+ nights a year, this was one of my worst check-in experiences ever.

Dinner on the terrace was slow with inattentive servers and most of the group's food being average at best. For a $600 meal the service was terrible and the food was over-priced for the portion size.

Front desk told us that it was impossible to order a bottle of wine after 10:30 PM since room service was closed. This is Niagara-on-the-Lake - aka. wine country, for sure someone could find a bottle of wine for patrons in their room, even at such a reasonable hour.

The lounge told us they were disallowed in serving after 11:30 PM, which meant we had to leave if we wanted to continue our evening (Ontario liquor laws allow for alcohol service until 2 AM). There were more than enough of us in our group to support continued service.

Frankly, I would not recommend this place unless you are a 9 PM sleepyhead who is not concerned with doing anything after dark.

Given the hotel's distance from the downtown I would select another place to stay (it is not close to the main strip of Niagara-on-the-Lake) - this hotel simply isn't worth it. The "premium" and "luxury" marketing simply do not live up to the service standard. The price is not worth it as better venues have more value (this is not my first stay in NOTL, but this is my last stay at Queen's Landing or any other Vintage Hotel).

Queen's Landing is not recommended in the slightest. I would not stay here again under any circumstances. If I was to attend a wedding or event in this area I would choose to stay at a non-Vintage Hotel property in the proper downtown of Niagara-on-the-Lake, or a BnB.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear valued guest - we are sorry to read such a negative post here on TripAdvisor. Your comments are clearly not the normal feedback that we receive from our guests, as evident from many other posts on this site.

Couple of things to report - I learned from the front desk that you called after midnight looking for a bottle of wine. Unfortunately, our room service department was closed at that time. We are located 3 blocks from the main street of town - we are sorry that you found this to be a very long distance. Your comments on our service are very surprising to me as we do have high standards and review rave reviews from other guests.

As a guest who has spent 75+ nights at hotels throughout the year, we find it surprising that we are your one and only review here on TripAdvisor and are sorry to hear that you will not be staying with us again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely hotel. Great staff, very friendly. Back patio lovely. Slow service at Breakfast but food great.
Rooms adequate but hot. There was a fan in our room and air conditioning did not work too well. Great bathroom. Big, spacious. 2 sinks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Leigh - thank you for your post here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your compliments on our lovely location here in Niagara-on-the-Lake. We are sorry that you had some engineering challenges with your guestroom and hope that you were able to bring these concerns to the attention of our front desk team for a quick solution on site.

Enjoy your summer!

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Beautiful hotel within walking distance of Queen St. shops and restaurants. Go during the spring and summer when the annuals are in full bloom around the town. Check out the gelato at Carlotta's - incredibly authentic!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest - thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at Queen's Landing. We agree that the spring and summer are the perfect time to visit our town for the amazing flowers! You can walk anywhere from our front doors, which is always a great perk for our in-house guests.

Please do come and see us again!

Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We travelled to NOTL to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary booking rooms at the Queens Landing and Dinner at Tiara. It was a nice hotel that just missed being an outstanding place to stay. Overall it is a lovely hotel. The rooms are ok. We booked a deluxe king. Nice but not anything special. The sofa in the room was an ugly blue fabric blob. Rather stained. We did not sit on it. Bathroom beautiful. Television did not work. Call to front desk yielded an immediate response if sending someone to figure out the issue. Unable to be repaired said he would switch it out next day which did nothing to improve the problem of no TV and the next day it was not switched out so no TV for both nights. We informed the staff at check out of the TV issue so the next guest would not have the same issue and the staff seemed underwhelmed nor did they apologize for it not working. Other draw backs no bellman to help w luggage.the pool appears to be a beautifully landscaped out door grotto type pool when in fact it was a run of the mill indoor pool full of that awful chlorine smell. Supposed to be a sea water pool and it was not. We booked a dinner at Tiara to celebrate our anniversary. The food was nice. Not five star just nice. The biggest drawback a wedding was going on and the doors to the wedding space was open to the dining room and we were treated to their loud music and party goers. Not what we expected at all. The on the water view was of a family eating at Baccus which has tables sitting right in front of the large glass windows that are supposed to offer a view of the water. No view of water just a toddler screaming. The bright spot the Wine Trolley Tour. Overall the hotel was just ok and has potential to be better than just ok if they actually delivered what the website showed. Another issue no spa onsite if you wanted spa service you had to go to another sister hotel. Getting in a van to go to another site to get a spa treatment is ridiculous considering the cost. After a spa treatment I want to go to my room not crawl into a van with people I don't know and walk through the lobby. So overall it was just not quite outstanding.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear valued guest - I wanted to respond to your post here on TripAdvisor following your recent stay. We were sorry to read about your disappointments. Please know that we take all guest feedback very seriously and work hard to improve our services based on customer reviews.

Our in-house pool is indeed filled with salt water but for safety reasons, there does need to be a certain percentage of chlorine, which is monitored several times a day by our trained engineering team. We have been receiving feedback in the past few weeks that there have challenges with our plasma televisions and as a result, we are conducting a sweep of the hotel to test each and every TV to ensure that they are all working properly.

Complimentary shuttle service is available at each of our properties here in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Each hotel has a mini van that is used privately for our guests - it is not a bus that picks up multiple people at the same time. The shuttle van is dedicated to the guests that is transporting and does not pick up multiple riders. We are sorry that was not explained to you.

Our bell service team work hard to greet each and every guest who enter our front doors. At this time of the year, we can have 140+ check ins and check outs on the same day so it can be impossible to have someone at the front doors at all times. Our front desk team has the capability to page the bellmen and we simply ask that guests who require their assistance wait for them to return to the lobby once they have accommodated their guest's requests.

Our weddings are held in a ballroom that is not connected to the main dining room. We are sorry that you heard the wedding taking place that evening as that is not the norm here at the hotel.

Despite your concerns, we are pleased that you awarded us with 4 stars. We do have a lot to offer here at Queen's Landing and hope that you will come and visit us again.

Yours in hospitality,