“A wonderful Christmas Party!”

White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
ST CATHARINES
“A wonderful Christmas Party!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I recently attended a Christmas Party at White Oaks Resort, and it was a great time! The event space was decorated beautifully with Christmas trees galore.
It was a large party 500+ people, but the food and space was plenty. Our meal was buffet style with carving stations, and all of the options were great. One of the best parts was the fresh fruit and chocolate fondue fountain! After a great meal we dance the night away! The DJ was great and kept the dance floor moving.
I'm already looking forward to next year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed for two nights for a work conference. Arrived with only 20 minutes to register for my conference and just wanted to get to my first presentation. Greeted at the door by a hotel employee who asked if I was with (my professional association) and when I asked where the conference rooms were, he told me I "had to check in to the hotel first" - immediately. I asked "I HAVE to?" and he repeated that I "HAD to". This conversation went around in circles for at least a minute - I could not believe that a hotel employee was ORDERING a guest to check in at their convenience - there was a line up of "guests" waiting to check in with only three employees at the desk. When someone behind me questioned why people were not being taken in order, this same "gentleman" insisted that we were yet three women sauntered in, loitered a moment and then taken up to check in - as time ticked away such that we were late for our conference.
White Oaks provided inadequate amounts of food for the number of people - and horrid: minestrone soup that tasted like chili, dried up egg salad pinwheels with dill pickles, main courses that violated food allergy and religious rules. To be fair, there were signs indicating that one could request an alternative - but such a request could not be accommodated immediately - you'd be eating after everyone else. The food is very average - certainly not better quality than a typical family restaurant. I wasn't impressed. You can dress up the food with firecrackers but it still won't be delicious.
As for the room, it was dated, dirty and dark: insufficient lighting, no electrical outlet to allow laptop use, stains on dark coloured chairs (how dirty do they have to be to look dirty?!), dated (and hair in the) tub, dirt at the baseboards, sticky and incomplete guest binder, stained or very dirty carpeting, flat bed pillows (just 3 for a queen bed), rough robes, weird tables hobbled together at a recycling yard (?), and so on. I felt that I had to (and I did) wash my hands every time I touched anything. The heating is outdated - you could choose high/low, warm/cold, fan/off. If you didn't turn the heat on, you'd freeze in a couple of hours; if you did turn it on, the room would get so hot and dry you could hardly breathe!
Overall, the hotel is not horrible - not great and only just okay - but not horrible. I didn't get decent sleep on the uncomfortable bed (though it was quiet) and I never felt clean but it's not the worst place I've ever stayed. The customer service (greeting) WAS horrible due to staff who didn't know basic etiquette or how to make guests feel welcome. The only bright light in service was the real effort made by the young gentleman who checked me in; it was a little annoying hearing my name over and over just to prove he remembered it for two minutes - but that's probably policy and he was very polite and efficient. I've rated as I have because though I shouldn't complain when someone else is footing the bill, I wouldn't want anyone to think that I'd pay to stay there. I wouldn't.

Room Tip: There are nice hotels in Niagara-on-the-Lake
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Exec-DirectorWO, Manager at White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
We are very sorry to read that you had such a negative experience during your stay at White Oaks. Your experience certainly does not sound up to the standards we like to uphold and are known for. After following up and a review of all that was outlined I would like to take this opportunity to provide our own feedback on the matter.
We first like to apologize for the misunderstanding at check in. Due to the size of your group in order to streamline the check in process our doormen were asked to direct attendees to check in with the Front Desk prior to the conference. It was not mandatory and under no circumstances would one of our team members order someone to do this, so we do apologize if it came across in that tone. White Oaks was prepared for the arrival of this group and fully staffed at the Front Desk with 5 agents making the check in as quickly and efficiently as possible.
We have had many conversations with the head organizers of this event and they have provided us with glowing feedback of our service, team, guestrooms and conference amenities as well as rave reviews of the food provided. There was an abundance of food to accommodate a group of this size and we had been made aware in advance and accommodated over 100 dietary restrictions. We received positive feedback from these guests and accommodated additional last minute requests as quickly as possible.
It is unfortunate to hear of your comments of the guestroom. Just to let you know they were updated within the last 2 years and as a conference hotel knowing our guests are often working in the rooms we certainly have desks equipped with outlets and lighting to properly provide an efficient work station. White Oaks is dedicated to environmental issues and have implemented highly efficient lighting in our rooms which do take time to warm up and become brighter. Perhaps this delay provided insufficient light and we do apologize for that. Had we been made aware we would have certainly brought additional lamps to the room if needed. Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms also come as a great shock to us. Our housekeeping team takes great pride in the work they do and we have never been told that our rooms lack the cleanliness you have described. It is unfortunate that we were not informed of your discomfort so that our housekeeping supervisor could come to the room to investigate and rectify any issues immediately.
The comments regarding our team are also very disappointing and unlike any other feedback we have received. As mentioned above there clearly was a miscommunication on directing guests for check in but to say a member of our team was horrible or lacked etiquette seems quite unfair. It is unfortunate that any interaction with them could be described so negatively. At White Oaks our main focus is always customer service and providing our guests with the highest level of service from the moment they walk in to the moment they drive away. We want to engage our guests in conversation so we can accurately meet their needs during their entire stay. Even during our briefest of encounter s we ask our team to respectively communicate with our guests and make an effort to use their names to ensure they are not mechanically going through a process. We want them to take the time to know who they are speaking with and we will never expect anything less from them. Though it was perceived as a negative and annoying occurrence in this instance most of our guests appreciate the effort our team members put forth to get to know their name as they say it makes them feel important and acknowledged.
Though most of this feedback has come as quite a surprise to us and contradicts the positive feedback we have received from other members of conference we do thank you for providing it. We are always looking to improve on our service and product and always take our guest’s comments seriously.
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

my husband and I went to The Spa at White Oaks and had a great experience.
the staff was wonderful and friendly, the Spa was relaxing and comfortable. my massage was done by Mike and i will continue to go back and ask for him. very friendly, and my massage was very relaxing. just what i needed for my aching back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carrie c
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had the pleasure of hosting our annual franchise reunion at White Oaks this year and everyone who attended is still buzzing about the event. The service we received from start to finish was exceptional. All staff members were ready and eager to help in every way possible. The accommodations, event space and food quality were all outstanding. A special thank you to our conference planner who went above and beyond our expectations and in the spirit of our conference "Owned It!"

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

White Oaks is one of this "go-to" places that we return to when we are visiting the Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the -Lake. Whether you stay in the tower or the main building makes no difference as the beds are great, rooms are well appointed, clean, spacious and welcoming. The bathroom is large with lots of spots for your toiletries: they've thought of everything. The restaurant Liv is also exceptional with incredibly fresh and delicious food. i keep promising myself that i will book a chocolate or grape body wrap, but never think about it until we're actually there. The swimming pool also looks very inviting.The location is right off the highway and one would never think that such a wonderful spot is so accessible. Their breakfast especially will start you on your way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakefield, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was recently at the White Oaks for a conference.... the staff is incredible and accommodating! anything you need.... no problem! Helpful, happy staff eager to make your experience perfect. The hotel bathrooms (in the public areas) are impeccably clean, the hallways are spotless... the food should have a review of its own!! WOW!! have enjoyed the food, so fantastic! flavor, variety and presentation are second to none! Our suite was great too... beds turned down at night, chocolates on the pillow... everything tidy and clean, just perfect! This location is amazing, and attention to detail is never missed. I am looking forward to returning next year especially because they seem have great staff retention, and the staff remember us when we come back and are glad to see you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Great hotel, very professional and welcoming staff. You must try the Liv Restaurant, the food was wonderful and the service impeccable. Clean, well appointed rooms. Gorgeous view from our garden suite.
A special two day stay.

Room Tip: If you can get a garden view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple