“Stayed here for our anniversary... again !!”

Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant
Goderich, Canada
“Stayed here for our anniversary... again !!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for our anniversary. In fact this is the 3rd or 4th anniversary we have spent here. We were lucky enough to get the same room that we have had before, which we absolutely love.

Had our anniversary dinner in the restaurant and once again we were extremely happy with our meals. The salmon appetizer I had was just beyond words. I wanted to order a second one to take back to the room for a late night snack. I'm sure if I had asked, they would have made it happen.

The staff are fantastic, the atmosphere is great, everythings was just as we had hoped. Too bad we were only able to stay one night this year. Hopefully next year we can extend our visit by at least one extra night.

We love NOTL and the Oban is one of the main reasons that we do.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Oban Inn in Niagara on the Lake. It is a 26 room facility that is beautifully appointed in modern, tasteful decor. The rooms are very elegant and extremely clean. We stayed in a Premium Queen Suite with a lovely sunroom. The sunroom was an amazing place to relax and enjoy the splendid view of the courtyard. Beds, pillows and linens were of high quality. Robes in the room were a welcoming touch. The towels and toiletries in the bathroom were abundant. But most of all, the staff members are fantastic. From the moment we arrived to our daily questions about how to get to where we are going, they are friendly, helpful and really quite charming. Mike was very welcoming when he was checking us in, making us feel right at home. During our stay we were able to enjoy the spa which was an extremely relaxing experience. My husband and I both enjoyed a massage which was an excellent way to begin our stay. Hermes and Brian were our massage therapists. It was evident that these two individuals were very professional and experienced in their roles. My husband and I both enjoyed time in the pool and hot tub in the courtyard. This relaxing oasis was a spectacular way to spend a late afternoon in a quiet and inviting area. The pool was very refreshing after walking through this area on a very warm day. During the evening we shared an amazing meal at the restaurant at the inn. The food was abundant with flavor and it was tastefully presented in an amazing dining room. Actually that meal was the best meal we experienced during our 4 day vacation to the Niagara area. Jo Jo is a talented chef which adds that special touch to the food which she creates. In the morning, a lovely buffet breakfast is served in the same dining room. This continental breakfast was a perfect way to start our day. The location of the inn is ideal. It is about a five minute walk from the main street in Niagara on the Lake, yet you are able to see Lake Ontario from the inn. It is evident that the owners of this four diamond establishment are dedicated to providing high quality service to their customers.
I highly recommend this little oasis. It's combination of charm and modernity reflect the character of this area.

2 Thank Smare_12
ObanInn, General Manager at Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Good evening Smare_12 from Madoc,

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your insights and comments regarding your recent 4-day stay with us at The Oban Inn in July 2012.

We are thrilled you enjoyed the amenities and décor of our recently updated Premium Queen guestrooms along with the many other facilities available on-site from our Spa, outdoor pool, hot tub, gardens and dining experience at Restaurant Oban Inn.

We appreciate your positive praise of our staff and especially recognizing the efforts of our Spa therapists, Guest Service Agent Michael and Sous Chef Jo Jo. They are part of a great team each of them proud to provide exceptional service to all our guests - without them we could not make any of this happen. Thank you for your generous complements to them!

Our team looks forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for your next getaway in Niagara-on-the-Lake!

Sincerely
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed at the Oban Inn for one night 16 July 2012....didn't get to use all the hotel facilities but excellent rooms and had a great dinner. The whole place is well run and in a prime location. Free parking and wifi are a big plus. Dinner was excellent and the whole evening experience enhanced by some great service from Sarah.....wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear GTFC60GrimsbyUK from UK,

Thank you for choosing to spend a night with us at The Oban Inn during your visit to Canada. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our prime location, free parking, free wifi and especially your dining experience at Restaurant Oban Inn under the care of our server Sarah and our culinary team. We appreciate the positive praise for her great service.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back during your next visit to our beautiful town!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Before actually booking this hotel, I had a number of questions about the rooms – which resulted in a number of e-mail exchanges with Allison (whose title is ‘Concierge’). Based on my exchanges with her and the information from these reviews, I thought I should first share what I learned about the rooms:

1) The King rooms with the ‘balcony’ and the cottage room seem to be the first to be booked.
2) The Premium Room King with the ‘partial lakeview’ really doesn’t have a partial lakeview unless you count looking through the gardens, the parking lot, across the street, through the golf course and then to the lake. That is the room we ended up booking – so I speak from experience.
3) Although both the King Room with the balcony and the King Room with the partial lakeview are both listed under the same heading in the booking engine on line, you should definitely inquire with the hotel to ensure that your preference is available. That is the only way I was able to find out that the King with the balcony was not available.
4) The Queen room with the ‘sunroom’ apparently doesn’t have any windows or doors that open in the sunroom.
5) The Queen room with the balcony is apparently quite small (what they call cozy).

Now for my experience:

We have stayed in NOTL a number of times over the years – always at Shaw Club Hotel, but this time, even though I tried to book over a month in advance I could not get the suite I wanted. So I started looking elsewhere. We were trying to decide between the Charles Inn which had a room with a screened in veranda, and a Premium King Lakeview at Oban Inn. We decided that the outdoor pool/hot tub would be more enjoyable than the veranda. Our stay was for one night (a Friday night).

I have to say, Allison was very patient with all of my questions, although it seemed that she would rather have me call in that communicate by email (that is the best way for me to handle these things). I repeatedly made it clear we were there to celebrate my husband’s birthday.

We arrived at the hotel which is in a very quiet area of the town and there was plenty of parking available. When we entered, there was a lady on the phone (which I assumed was the owner) and a lady sitting at the desk. No one said anything to us – they just looked at us, then the lady at the desk got up and came around to the counter – I asked her about whether this is for the hotel or the spa, she said both, and then I said we were checking in. She asked for our last name, explained to us that payment would be taken in full on check in. She pointed to the price and I had to hide it from my husband since this was a gift from me and asked me to sign and then said she could show us to our room. There was no ‘welcome’ or ‘how are you’, etc. I was not impressed at all.

Our room was less than 30 steps away – right off the front steps, behind one unlocked door, and right to our room door – it seemed almost like a ground floor motel room. My husband sensed my uneasiness right away and said to me that he is sure they lock that door after a certain hour (they don’t even though it is equipped with room key access).

The room is a lot smaller than I expected – it is labeled as a ‘premium’ room and on first sight it is no bigger than a regular King hotel room. There is a large dresser, two small uncomfortable chairs, a desk and a TV stand with additional drawers, the King bed and 2 night stands. The room is surrounded by windows and shutters – which is lovely until you realize this affords next to no privacy. The hotel was full, there was a wedding and reception at the hotel, and traffic going past our windows meant we had to close the shutters. In addition, only one of the windows opens (and it was full of spider webs). The shutters also had not been dusted in some time – that was clear to see.

The bathroom was nothing luxurious, in fact the toilet was a bit crammed in. There were double sinks with open storage, which was handy. The shower had a very deep tub, but only a half a glass with no curtain or sliding door. The mildew in the tiles/grout are what stopped me from even thinking about soaking in the tub.

My husband jumped onto the bed – and that’s when we saw it shake. The entire bed frame – headboard to footboard shook and the footboard was clearly at an angle with a gap between it and the mattress frame. I had to tell the front desk because I did not want to be responsible for a broken bed.

I also noticed that even though I had repeatedly mentioned the birthday celebration and noted on my reservation that I would like to do something to surprise him so if they could let me know and advise me of the cost --- nothing was in the room, not a note, a chocolate, not a cheap bottle of wine. We had just come from a different hotel in another city where we had chocolates, a card, and a bottle of champagne (at no cost) in the room.

I explained it to the lady who checked us in and said that she would call someone, I told her that we would just get our bags and she said “well, we are completely booked so I don’t have another room”. I responded that I knew that so it just needs to be fixed. I found her statement to be strange, curt and not helpful. There was no offer to have someone help us with our bags – I note this, because only after we got into the room and I read the information in the binder did I see that there is baggage assistance available on request.

A very lovely gentleman (Mike) came to the front desk and my husband explained the issue. We went to the room, he acknowledged the problem – told us that the beds started coming apart years ago and that he’s tried to fix them and sees now that the can probably put in additional reinforcements. He assured us that it had stayed as is for years and that we would not end up on the floor.

We had spent the afternoon visiting several wineries and stocking up – once we brought everything in, we realized there was no fridge, no ice bucket, and only a small cheap plastic cork screw in the room. This is wine country and I think it’s amazing that this is missing from a ‘premium’ room. My husband called to ask for one. A few minutes later the phone rings and the lady says “this is Allison from the front desk. Is it okay if we bring the fridge in about 30 minutes?”. I had a cake that was suffering in a ‘cooler bag’ and we really just wanted to get a bottle of wine into the fridge to start enjoying ASAP, but yet how was I to respond to that?? If I had said no, then I would come across as rude. I will also say, that even though I had several exchanges with Allison prior to arrival – this was the first time she told me her name. It would have been nice if she had said to me on check in who she was – but then again, I was never actually welcomed.

Ten minutes later, Mike arrives with another gentleman with a half a mini fridge (I think it’s more of a countertop fridge) and a little table. In an already cramped room, we ended up swapping the Keurig coffee maker and the little table it was on, for the fridge. One thing to note about the fridge, the freezer section not only freezes that area, but everything on the first shelf right under it. I had to throw out fruit that was completely rock hard.

We take a shower and discover only two bath towels in the room – no issues, we can reuse right? Nope. The air in the room was so damp nothing dried. We head out the pool – there was no information about where towels were, so we asked at the front desk (this time there is a gentleman there – the one who helped with the fridge) and he was very nice and grabbed us pool towels. The fitness room has no television and seems to have no place to play music – it’s just a room with a few windows and the cardio equipment isn’t even lined up to the windows – so you could be staring at a wall.

The pool area could be a little more ‘clean’ – although it is outdoors, so I’m trying not to be too picky. Just lots of leaves in the water and spider webs on everything from the gate to the loungers. The pool water was freezing and the hot tub water was warm, not hot. We were also very visible to a wedding reception in the garden, which was a little strange for us (and I’m sure for them!).

I don’t think there is a turn down service – at least no one ever knocked on our door or called us to ask. The bed was very, very soft, which was nice at first, but I have lower back issues, so by the morning I could barely move. The next morning I realized how absolutely peaceful and quiet the area was – once the reception was over and the people were gone, it was dead silent – which we loved.

We headed out to breakfast the next morning in the restaurant – which was fine for a continental breakfast, but they really should have a hot option or two for a nominal price. I was asked to sign a bill which indicated a charge of $29 even though she said that breakfast was included in the rate. I didn’t like that – they should have presented a zero dollar bill. On our way back to the room we asked for more towels since our towels from the day before were still wet. They were delivered in a few minutes, but when we asked her for a second set (she brought only one set), she seemed irritated.

We headed back out to the hot tub for a bit and then back to the room to pack up and leave. I went to check out and Allison wasn’t there – I checked out with I think the person that is the owner. She did ask how our stay was, and I said “good” – no further inquiries were made, and to be honest, I really just wanted to leave. I already knew that I needed to write a Trip Advisor review. She did ask if we needed help with our luggage, but we had already done it ourselves. The price of our room with tax included was just over $400 for one night. I am far from cheap – stays in 4 and 5 star hotels and suites are normally how I travel, but this was certainly out of whack with what I was expecting.

Will I stay here again? – I’m leaning towards a no. Overpriced for what I received and did not receive. I was not treated as a valued customer. I was not generally treated as someone whose business they want to earn. If only Shaw Club Hotel had a pool then I could say with certainty I would never be back to Oban Inn. I may give Oban Inn another shot in a King room with a balcony or the cottage room – but if there is no improvement in the cleanliness of the room (dust and mildew) and in the sincerity of the service from everyone (not just the gentlemen), then I will voice my opinion to them right then and there and they will never need to see us again. They may or may not care.

Room Tip: Avoid the "premium King partial lakeview" unless you are okay with a ground floor room, wi...
5 Thank blackhair
Dear Blackhair from Toronto,

We are most appreciative of your generous observations and sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Oban Inn for your weekend getaway in July. Recognizing your opinion is important to us, we would like to emphasize your overall experience and remarks are that of one unique perspecitve with some comments inaccurate. We encourage our TripAdvisor community to use their rational judgment when reviewing.

With our Inn of 26 guestrooms and varying room types offering a variety of amenities from such as rooms with lake views, garden views, balcony, etc. our team is pleased that we were able to assist offering several choices for your consideration. Weekend pricing for our guestrooms are higher than our mid-week pricing which can offer greater value for future consideration. We regret your room reserved did not fulfill your expectation and value your input as to how we can improve. Please be assured we are genuine in our efforts to maintain the highest standard of service, cleanliness and facilities with upgrades to our Inn annually.

Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of several of our team members whom assisted you during your stay. They are thankful for the positive accolades.

On behalf of our entire team, we apologize you did not feel treated as a valued customer. Every guest with us is an extension of our Oban Inn family and everyone is dedicated to make each experience a positive and memorable one.

Thank you again for your valuable time and we hope you will consider returning to stay with us!

NIagara-on-the-Lake
Reviewed 21 July 2012

What a great choice we made to celebrate our anniversary in our home town! The Oban Inn was the perfect spot. We stayed in a beautful, exceptionally clean room with its own balcony over looking the lake and slept in the most comfortable bed ever! Dinner in the restaurant was delicious and, Kim, our server made us feel if we had travelled to New York or Paris. The Inn arranged our tickets for 'Ragtime' at the Shaw Festival and truly looked after our every need. We can hardly wait to return next year to celebrate another year together.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Chillington from Niagara-on-the-Lake,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with a stay-cation in your own back yard. Seeing that you have travelled the world and shared your many experiences with the TripAdvisor community – we are in good company. We are happy to hear you enjoyed a memorable dining experience with us at Restaurant Oban Inn and also partook in a Shaw Festival Theatre production.

We appreciate your positive praise to one of our team members and such comments are a great motivation for them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next anniversary (or sooner)!

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2012

What a beautiful spot in Niagara-on-the-lake. We came for the spa but truly enjoyed everything. The staff in the spa is top notch. We had massages, facial, and pedicures. I'm a bit of a spa junkie, so my expectations are high and the women that treated us were AMAZING!!! The staff at the front desk also help plan our weekend in the area. So helpful and friendly. Can't wait to go again.

Dear JosieA from Oakville,

Please accept our gratitude for your appreciation of our Spa at The Oban Inn. Thank you for choosing us to get pampered! Most of our Spa therapists from Massage Therapists to Aestheticians have been with us since our Spa's conception in 2006.

We are thrilled to welcome you back soon and our team is always available to assist with any upcoming plans for your next visit.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have thoroughly enjoyed the luxurious spa and incredible dining. The staff was pleasant, extremely helpful and went above and beyond to ensure I had a comfortable stay. The rooms were clean & beautiful. The food was amazing! I met the owners and the hotel and spa is a perfect reflection of them - a pure delight! From now on when I stay in Niagara on the Lake, they are my first and only phone call. Thank you Oban!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear A_Prudhomme11 from Burlington,

It was wonderful to have met you during your most recent stay with us in July 2012. Thank you for choosing The Oban Inn as your home away from home. We sincerely appreciate your time and valuable feedback.

We look forward to return again soon and value being a part of many more amazing memories.