“Very enjoyable”

Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had a lovely stay here, and even some wonderful surprises. The staff are very friendly, and polite. We were upgraded to a superior room, with a wonderful view, and heated sunroom. What a perfect place for our room service breakfast.
The hotel is very clean, welcoming and comfortable. The steam room was a new experience and the staff were happy to let us try it even though we were the only ones wanting to use it. The spa is very clean and again wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Second floor - room 6 has a great view of Lake Ontario, yet has trees outside for a bit of privacy...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 21ski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Canandaigua
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I awoke at 3am the morning of my reservation with a sudden sore throat and a low grade fever. It was a certainty that the spa vacation I had spontaneously planned for my birthday should be rescheduled. The chills and raspy cough which closely followed in the next hour made any possibility of travel a near impossibility. I had just made my reservation for four days at The Oban Inn earlier that day and was extremely disappointed that my birthday plans were compromised..
I am no stranger to "policy" but have found in my travels as in life, that there are always exceptions and that a customer's story deserves to be received with both attention and consideration by management. Usually, there is some semblance of an accommodation made for the customer. Isn't that what management does....make situations which are conflictual more palatable?
The night desk person relayed that there are no cancellations in a guaranteed reservation. I was told that the manager arrived at 8am so I requested that she call me first thing in the morning. At 9am the manager had not yet returned my call nor did she ever get back to me. I reiterated my ill health when I arrived and the desk personal repeated the same policy as I would expect but the manager again was not to be found. No attempt was made by management to speak with me or to make my stay more comfortable during my entire stay. This is a small boutique hotel which was sparsely booked and it was off season in the dead of winter. I may have been one of the only overnight guests for some part of my stay so an encounter by the manager at some point would have been appropriate and certainly expected, especially since she never returned my call.
When I checked out, I again requested to speak with the manager who was on the phone in her office and on site when the desk person tried to contact her as per my request. The front desk person then politely escorted me to the waiting area until the manager was off the phone. After waiting 10 minutes I was told that she was "not in".
This Inn is rated as a four diamond property. I am aghast at the rude and insensitive way that this manager treated a situation which could have been handled in a most suitable way for both me and the hotel. I am quite certain that a reschedule of my trip would have been arranged by a more seasoned manager without any problem whatsoever. The fact that she intentionally avoided me is insulting and grossly unprofessional.
My last request to the front desk person before leaving was that the manager kindly call me. Of course it is no surprise that at the time of this writing I have not yet received word from her.
While the hotel has a certain charm I would not return despite its' redeeming qualities of a polite and personable staff and adequate cuisine.
The reflection of the absent, aloof and rude managerial style relays a message which lacks hospitality, warmth, personalization and the optimum quality of stay which befits a four diamond establishment. Come out of your cave Ms. Manager and meet and interact with your clientele.....your staff might appreciate a little interaction as well!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a terrace overlooking the lake....request an upgrade for a sitting area which is gla...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank antonia s
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

On November 24 we made reservations for a two night stay, Dec.30 and 31, in a premium room in the inn. At the time of confirming our stay we requested a table for four, near the window ,in the dining room for a New Year's Eve dinner with friends and were told this was possible. When we arrived at the inn on Dec.30 we made a point of going into the dining room ,and with the assistance of a staff member ,chose the table for dinner on Dec.31st. When we arrived, on time, for our 8:00 dinner reservation on Dec.31 the hostess asked for our name and ushered us to a table away from the main dining room and hence away from the window. We were told table reservations was not a policy of the inn. We had our choice of waiting for the diners at our table of choice or sit somewhere else. No apologies for misinformation. Interesting to note the dining room was not full. Our request could have been honoured with a little thoughtfulness on the part of the hostess
We had two lunches and two dinners in Niagara on the Lake. The lunches were at Peller Estates and at Trius Winery restaurant. The dinners were at the Charles Inn and at the OBAN Inn. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of both lunches, happy with dinner at the Charles Inn ,where we had dined on a previous trip, and disappointed in the OBAN inn both for the reason given above and in the selection and quality of the food. Of the four places we ate on this two day trip OBAN Inn did not rank in the top three.
One last point: A. Continental breakfast was served on the 30th and it was adequate. There was no hot breakfast available which seems odd. Our room cost $220.00 per night

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ken G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 January 2014

As return visitors, we can highly recommend this as one of the best restaurants in beautiful Niagara-on-the-lake and in the whole region. Dinner is an elegant experience. Marvelous service, excellent food. Wide range of local wines available. Price is not expensive for the quality of the experience. Location just off the main drag and near the oldest golf course in Canada. Big city sophistication, more than you might expect in a resort town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EagleEyeBoston
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at the Oban Inn for a wintery stay-cation in early December. NOTL is so beautiful over the holidays - it was picturesque with all the heritage (which were dressed up more than usual for the Rotary Club house tour).

The Oban Inn certainly lived up to all the great reviews on TA. We stayed in their standard room (which is far from 'standard' but certainly cozy) and got the Sip'n'Spa package. We both got incredible massages at different times - it was nice to be able to enjoy the spa's ambiance while we waited for each other; they have a steam room, change rooms, and very comfortable lounging area with wonderful tea.

Staff at the Oban Inn were so accommodating and brought the whole experience up to a truly 'luxury' level. I've seen other reviews that complained the breakfast which I think is unfair - the Oban Inn is honest about their cold, continental breakfasts which were still very filling.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I returned to the Oban recently for an overnight stay and to use the spa. Again, we were delighted with the level of service - as always considerate and welcoming. This was our first time using the Oban spa and we found it to be clean, comfortable and staffed by excellent estheticians and massage professionals.

We ate dinner on site and the restaurant, while recommended, will not be one I return to for dinner on a regular basis. Service was great and gets 4.5 stars while the menu itself and the food gets 4 stars.

If your looking for great location close to the heart of town while being away from the rush you can't get much better then the Oban.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We always like to stay at small boutiqe inn while on holiday and Oban is the best at Naigara-on-the Lake. The facility is clean and provide Gilchrist & Soames soap, shampoo & lotion. It offers great fall special for overnight stay with spa treatments & continental breakfast. It would cost twice as much in Toronto! The staff are helpful and nice! Highly recommended" We just came back two weeks ago and thinking of going back soon!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niagara-on-the-Lake
Queen's Landing
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
#1 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Sterling Inn & Spa
Sterling Inn & Spa
#2 of 128 in Niagara Falls
DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls

Been to Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant? Share your experiences!